• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JL ELectronics Sylph-D200 Amplifier Module Review

laudio

I totally agree, the TPA3255 is an amazing chip compatible with multiple configurations.
It should be noted that like any class D it needs a very solid power supply.
I run mine on 53,5V 19Amps (Delta power supply for Avaya network switch) because if you read all the TI documentations the maximum power supply voltage is depending on the ohmic load.

Nice power supply. And Topping did take note I guess with the PA5.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Got the Burson Audio V5i after I tested the V6 Vivid.
I think this is one of the best opamp for Sylph-D200 in terms of overall presentation. I find it miles better than the V6 vivid, maybe because I like the 'opamp' sound better than 'discrete' buffer sound.

It is also smoother sounding than the TPA3255 user's favorite which is the OPA1656. It is more pleasant sounding and doesn't have the 'thin' or 'compressed' upper midrange sound of the OPA1656. Though OPA1656 has a noticeably 'rounder' and 'fuller' vocals.

Sylph-D200 V5i.jpg

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Nice power supply. And Topping did take note I guess with the PA5.
Meanwell LRS-350-36 (or 48) is also good if you have a chassis with lots of space to put it.
Does not affect the THD+N performance of Sylph-D200 module when I tested it. Doesn't degrade the sound (still superb) and is very cheap, just avoid buying fake and get it directly from Mouser or Digikey.

laudio

Meanwell LRS-350-36 (or 48) is also good if you have a chassis with lots of space to put it.
Does not affect the THD+N performance of Sylph-D200 module when I tested it. Doesn't degrade the sound (still superb) and is very cheap, just avoid buying fake and get it directly from Mouser or Digikey.
Meanwell 350-48 is what I used with an eval board cased up. Works great.

Rrobot

Got the Burson Audio V5i after I tested the V6 Vivid.
I think this is one of the best opamp for Sylph-D200 in terms of overall presentation. I find it miles better than the V6 vivid, maybe because I like the 'opamp' sound better than 'discrete' buffer sound.

Nice. They certainly look the part! Would you say it's worth the investment for use in the Sylph-D200? Certainly not a cheap op-amp...depending on where one buys them the cost is nearly as high as the amp module itself.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202112_BursonVersionsComparo.png

Please don't ask me for measurement results for Transparency, Details, Color/Texture and/or Dynamic/Soundstage criteria!;)

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Nice. They certainly look the part! Would you say it's worth the investment for use in the Sylph-D200? Certainly not a cheap op-amp...depending on where one buys them the cost is nearly as high as the amp module itself.
Hmm if you are not budget conscious or do not want to waste your time on trying different opamps, then I think you may get it. If you are short on budget, then just get the best DAC / sources that will sound good on your system.

Rrobot

Hmm if you are not budget conscious or do not want to waste your time on trying different opamps, then I think you may get it. If you are short on budget, then just get the best DAC / sources that will sound good on your system.
Sensible advice. I'm pretty happy with the OPA1656 but would like to try some more... to be truthful the journey of experimentation is part of the fun. I definitely fall in the budget conscious category tho so maybe the Bugatti of op amps isn't for me.:)

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I assume this should sound better than TPA3255 with high sensitivity speakers?
What power supply do you recommend for this?
Genuine LRS-350-36 is good. The TPA3251 module (Sylph-D100) has better clarity and transparency than the TPA3255. But the highs are cleaner on the TPA3255.
For overall balance, the dual mono (Sylph-D400) sounds the best to me.

ICIETDIYEUR

Hello jlesterp and Happy New Years with all the best wishes that come with it :)

Can the MEAN WELL ERPF-400-48 switching power supply not be a better choice with regard to its technical sheet, specificities and especially without fan ?
It is resistant to moisture and dust, which also looks interesting...
Its ripple (240mVp-p) and leakage current (<1ma/240VAC) are weaker and should therefore give better 'results' although the rated current is lower by 1.1A (8.3A instead of 9.4A) but it should be sufficient if we refer to the technical data of TI for the TPA3255.
She mainly has a build-in active PFC fonction :cool:

However, the 'availability' is only 70% from 50°C ambient temperature for the ERPF version while the LRS is always 100%.
This problem should be able to be resolved for the most part by removing the top cover of the power supply...

An important point is the operating frequency (450, 500 or 600kHz) of the TPA 3255.
Indeed, the rise in circuit temperature is directly conditioned by this parameter which gives better results when it is the highest.

Everything remains a question of compromise when choosing the box that will house the PCBs.

The more voluminous and airy the box, the less delicate will be the choice of the power supply and consequently of the value of the adjustment resistor for the choice of the frequency of use of the TPA3255 ;)

Can you give us your opinion and expertise ?

Last edited:

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Have you tried this power supply? I think it can be a good alternative to LRS-350-48. Datasheet didn't mention low power mode in no load conditions, some supplies produce audible frequencies in low power (burst) mode.

Our TPA3255/51 amps use 600kHz operating frequency so it runs slightly hotter compared to when configured with lower operating. freqs.
Hello jlesterp and Happy New Years with all the best wishes that come with it :)

Can the MEAN WELL ERPF-400-48 switching power supply not be a better choice with regard to its technical sheet, specificities and especially without fan ?
It is resistant to moisture and dust, which also looks interesting...
Its ripple (240mVp-p) and leakage current (<1ma/240VAC) are weaker and should therefore give better 'results' although the rated current is lower by 1.1A (8.3A instead of 9.4A) but it should be sufficient if we refer to the technical data of TI for the TPA3255.
She mainly has a build-in active PFC fonction :cool:

However, the 'availability' is only 70% from 50°C ambient temperature for the ERPF version while the LRS is always 100%.
This problem should be able to be resolved for the most part by removing the top cover of the power supply...

An important point is the operating frequency (450, 500 or 600kHz) of the TPA 3255.
Indeed, the rise in circuit temperature is directly conditioned by this parameter which gives better results when it is the highest.

Everything remains a question of compromise when choosing the box that will house the PCBs.

The more voluminous and airy the box, the less delicate will be the choice of the power supply and consequently of the value of the adjustment resistor for the choice of the frequency of use of the TPA3255 ;)

Can you give us your opinion and expertise ?

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In opamp rolling endeavors over on diyaudio and development of a Sapphire head amp, Sonic Imagery Labs 995 modules were highly recommended. Just in case you want another avenue to explore....

ICIETDIYEUR

Hi Wolf,

This would require creating an adapter with 2 of these OPAMPs per channel to replace the double OPAMPs provided for the SYLPH D200 MKII.

Either plan to buy 4 of these OPAMPs at 85 euros each, excluding postage !

AUDIOPHONICS -> This product is discontinued...

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately, this went over my head. I did not realize they were duals.

ICIETDIYEUR

People hi !

I received my PCB 'Sylph D200 MKII' :D

The work done is simply exceptional and I would like to congratulate jlesterp: there is nothing at all to complain about regarding the quality.

It's an 'extra PCB' :cool:

I haven't received all the hardware to build my amp yet but I'll post new pictures as soon as it's finished, I promise ;)

In the meantime, here are some pictures ->

A - The parcel.jpg

B - Inside the parcel.jpg

C - The PCB.jpg

1 - Top view.jpg

2 - Yellow capacitor.jpg

3 - Grey capacitor.jpg

4 - United Chemicon KYB capacitor (PVDD).jpg

5 - Connectors details.jpg

6 - Connectors explaination.jpg

7 - Heatsink references.jpg

8 - Connectors explaination.jpg

9 - Input connectors (J1 and J2).jpg

10 - Rubycon YXF capacitors.jpg

11 - Nichicon LD capacitor.jpg

12 - Nichicon LD capacitor.jpg

13 - Bottom view.jpg

14 - Jumpers whose function I don't know.jpg

15 - Solder jumpers for input configuration (SE or BAL).jpg

16 - Panasonic FC capacitor.jpg

17 - Panasonic FC capacitor.jpg

18 - Panasonic FC capacitor.jpg

19 - Panasonic FC capacitor.jpg

Schéma connections XLR (validé par LESTER).jpg

Some picture details ->

YELLOW capacitors:

224K/220nF/0,22µF - 1000V
pitch = 11,5mm
long. = 12,5mm
larg. = 5mm
high = 12mm

GRAY capacitors:

684K/680nF/0,68µF - 275V
pitch = 15mm
long. = 16,5mm
larg. = 10mm
high = 19mm

Possible 'upgrade' for PVDD capacitors ->

UPGRADED ORIGINAL

Rubycon ZLJ (Low Impedance Electrolytic Capacitors) * United Chemi-con KYB
2200µF/63V * 1200µF/63V
pitch = 7.5 mm * 7,5mm
diameter = 16mm * 16mm
Long. = 40mm * 31,5mm
Lifetime = 10000 Hours * 10000 Hours
ESR = 15MΩ * 20MΩ
Rej.cur. = 4,1A * 3A
Temp. = -40°C/+105°C * -40°C/+105°C
Tol. = 20% * 20%
N° Mouser= 232-63ZLJ2200M16X40 * 661-EKYB630E122MLN3S
Unit. price: 3,94 € * 2,79 €

I think jlesterp will comment ;)

Have a nice day.

maxchau

Thanks to Lester's great work, D200 Mark II amp was received, installed and running...already sounding more airy and more depth, and higher density than the other two 3255 amps I also own. The super low noise 48v regulated linear PS also helped (Ripple noise is 1/100 of a typical SMPS)

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0375.JPG
    IMG_0375.JPG
    339.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    421.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks to Lester's great work, D200 Mark II amp was received, installed and running...already sounding more airy and more depth, and higher density than the other two 3255 amps I also own. The super low noise 48v regulated linear PS also helped (Ripple noise is 1/100 of a typical SMPS)
Nice, you can enable PFFB and use balanced source to get the best sound quality.

ICIETDIYEUR

Hi everybody, hi Lester ;)

I carried out several tests with different OPAMPs including OPA 1656 and I can say one thing:
really try your D200 MKII PCB with OPA 828 OPAMPs, the quality of the restitution is remarkable !

I 'looped' Tracy Chapman's 'greatest hits' album, which I know perfectly well, and the result is final concerning the voices, percussion and especially the rendering of the guitars, which is disconcertingly natural :D

Take the test for yourself and you will see that the OPAMP OPA 1656 does not have this quality at all in the rendering of the mids and even less in the highs which will seem insistent and incisive... :(

Personally my choice is made:
I keep my OPA 828 OPAMPs, what wonders :cool:

cover.jpg

Top Bottom