• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

jitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

morillon

Major Contributor
hello
why maintain measurements in the analog domain, after an a/d conversion, in the observation of aes spdif signals etc... on the numeric sources, like streamer etc...??
insofar as it is more readable, precise, offering methods of calculating noise, jitter, precise, quantified by software automatiquely, if an acquisition without this n/a conversion...???
we can decide that there is no interest etc... but quite to do it...???
(or just do both approaches because only takes a few minutes)

(History of the fact that the purpose is at the exit of a dac has no real relationship..)

???
;-)

Icône de validation par la communauté

(

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hello
why maintain measurements in the analog domain, after an a/d conversion, in the observation of aes spdif signals etc... on the numeric sources, like streamer etc...??
insofar as it is more readable, precise, offering methods of calculating noise, jitter, precise, quantified by software automatiquely, if an acquisition without this n/a conversion...???
we can decide that there is no interest etc... but quite to do it...???
(or just do both approaches because only takes a few minutes)

(History of the fact that the purpose is at the exit of a dac has no real relationship..)

???
;-)

View attachment 206789
(

If I understand your question, the reasons to measure jitter in the analog domain are:

1. We don't listen to digital signal, we listen to analog. Just because there is a timing error in the digital domain doesn't automatically translate to anything audible in the analog domain.

2. Jitter is easier to see in the analog signal

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
excuse me...
but without going into the background, don't hear, etc.
it is precisely then that a forum of measurements at 0.01db of sinad, 0.0001% de thd+n etc.;-) only produces very very relative observations, "a louche " in French, precisely not really measuring the jitter in itself...
while for once simpler, reproducible, than many measures in the field of analog (succinct level etc.)...
So on digital sources seems obvious...
ps
precisely the observations are hardly readable in what is shown in analog here,

and extremely dependent on the dac..c is also one of the observations made on these...!!

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
excuse me...
but without going into the background, don't hear, etc.
it is precisely then that a forum of measurements at 0.01db of sinad, 0.0001% de thd+n etc.;-) only produces very very relative observations, "a louche " in French, precisely not really measuring the jitter in itself...
while for once simpler, reproducible, than many measures in the field of analog (succinct level etc.)...
So on digital sources seems obvious...
ps
precisely the observations are hardly readable in what is shown in analog here

You're seem to be making a point about the forum, I'm making a point about jitter.

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
precisely it is that there is no measurement strictly speaking of jitter...
software devices such as a-p etc can precisely give precise values...
;-)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
precisely it is that there is no measurement strictly speaking of jitter...

;-)

No, there isn't. What is measured is the effect of jitter in the analog domain that matters to those who listen (with ears). Jitter in the digital domain matters to computers and protocols. Are you a computer? ;)

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
upstream of the floors n/a it is just much more readable...

Icône de validation par la communauté

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
you don't understand that the relative effects at the dac output that you observe.. are much easier to observe upstream.. quantifiable etc.

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
Plus lisible et sans rapport avec l'audio.

More readable and irrelevant to audio.
of course what if.. it is the consequences that you observe in n/a output....
or else you have to stop trying to observe "the jitter"...problem in the obvious digital domain...output n/a
it is better to try to correlate the observation in num.. and what happens at the output n/a by playing on this one.. to observe the impact at the output according to each dac...

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you don't understand that the relative effects at the dac output that you observe.. are much easier to observe upstream.. quantifiable etc.
No, I understand that upstream may have no effect at all on the output of the DAC or may have a very large one, it has to do with the DAC and not the upstream. So what’s the point of measuring upstream if it doesn’t tell me what effect it’ll have on audio?

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
so what's the point of measuring streamers so
;-)

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
the jitter measurements of snr noise level etc are digital, even rather easily .. no less than in analog
so who's talking about streaming etc.. might as well do them.. it's much more factual than what we see here!
all measurement benches with "digital" stages have been offering these measurements for 10 years...

Last edited:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the jitter measurements of snr noise level etc are digital, even rather easily .. no less than in analog
so who's talking about streaming etc.. might as well do them.. it's much more factual than what we see here!

Again, you’re talking about the forum and not jitter. What does the SNR of the digital stream tell me about audio quality as long as it's within specs of the digital protocol?

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
measurement benches with digital stages have offered all these jitter measurements for a very long time
or so it was necessary to explain that all this without interest ....
;-)
"it speaks jitter""", but "does not measure jitter"...
this is what appeals to me

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you a conversational AI practicing to see if you can pass the Turing test?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
"it speaks jitter""", but "does not measure jitter"...
this is what appeals to me

I think that covers your position very well. We can close the thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom