• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter with topping e30

Swtoby

As far as this may be a pain in the ass for a few customers ( and don’t worry, @JohnYang1997 is well aware of that).
Customers also have to understand manufacturers are surviving a global pandemic crisis, a chipset worldwide shortage, AKM dac chip factory consumed by flames, etc. Taking all into account it doesn’t strike me as something outside the normal for this small issues to happen.
Not the customers problem. As you point out, the pandemic is global which means we are all dealing with it not just the manufacturers. Too often it seems the expectation is for the customer to bend over backwards to accommodate the business who in turn appear to take their customers for granted. Especially now, when disposable income may be more fleeting. I do feel the manufacturer needs to appeal to the customer which is why great customer service stands out. Schiit, for example, is very clear about order delays due to the pandemic. That helps to set a reasonable expectation for the customer from the get go. Certainly when a customer spends their money on a component the reasonable expectation is that it works when they get it. How a manufacturer comports themselves when it doesn't helps to determine if a customer will be loyal or not. Or do business in the first place.

nerone

Hello, can you please describe better what do you mean better?
"The funny thing is that the player that works sounds better to me on its own than on the E30"

zombiebrains2

Hello, can you please describe better what do you mean better?
"The funny thing is that the player that works sounds better to me on its own than on the E30"

Hello, I mean the CD player's that I own that 'work' with the E30 spdif input sound better to me on their own (not connected to the E30 + using their own Dacs, Example: the Yamaha cds2000.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you didn’t test at least blind, and did not level match, then any comparison is quite worthless.

nerone

Hello, I mean the CD player's that I own that 'work' with the E30 spdif input sound better to me on their own (not connected to the E30 + using their own Dacs, Example: the Yamaha cds2000.

My cd also sounds better so there are two of us and we share the same opinion, mine is a Grundig CD 7500 equivalent to the Philips 303 even if the Grundig sounds better

threni

Major Contributor
My cd also sounds better so there are two of us and we share the same opinion
Two of you? Well, that nails it. One opinion - it's sort of touch and go. I trust you, but.. you know.... not sure I can convince the elders. They always want more. But two of you...you can't argue with science like that. I'm convinced. The cd sounds better. Close this thread down, we're done here.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks martytoo!
Here are the 3 players that I used with the E30 that caused drop outs.

Kenwood DP R6080 a 5 disc CD changer with optical output
Pioneer DVR-220 a DVD recorder with optical output
Sony DVP-NS300 a DVD player with optical and coaxial outputs that so far I have used only on the coaxial side.

A quick search on ebay reveals the Sony DVP-NS300 is exactly what I was looking for. Available from several sellers, priced below 20 bucks. So anyone who wants to research this issue (@amirm ?) now can get such an error provoking player and check its SPDIF signal for irregularities that trigger the issue - without spending a fortune.

If there is no new information coming up in the next months I will do that too (because I am just curious. I have no urgent need to do so as our products are not affected). But as I am not with my AP analyzer right now this will have to wait.

You are right that for the final analysis one also needs a newer unit that uses the CS8416. Newer because based on what we know now Cirrus Logic must have changed the chip design or manufacturing process at some point, as the chip seemed to have worked flawlessly since 2002 (!). As I see it Topping and others are not to blame, but victims. And well knowing the way this always works they are double victims, because Cirrus will deny any failure on their side and refuse any kind of compensation that might help those manufacturers.

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks Zombiebrains2.

I really appreciate you posting these Internet posts confirming the problem , especially the Amazon complaints regarding the Coaxial problem

And Am glad that Topping are now advertising the E30 as not recommended to be used with older CD Players , But it is a shame that the company and Topping Employee on this site have taken so long tocome clean...Its all money at the end of the day I guess

After all my many posts here Being a new member I think I come away from this experience with thanks for the help from many good members.

But also a general feeling of condescension from some of the senior members here ,At times i have felt like a new boy at a private school being sneered at by the older boys.

And judging from posts i have read concerning members queries , It appears others are coming away from their dealings on this site with a feeling of and I quote..." made fun of by some member" and " that my opinion is nonsense. ".As one of your members posted . whilst making another member feel small "Thankfully, this site just isn't like the others."

Thanks for all the helpful input from members.

Bill

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks martytoo!

A quick search on ebay reveals the Sony DVP-NS300 is exactly what I was looking for. Available from several sellers, priced below 20 bucks. So anyone who wants to research this issue (@amirm ?) now can get such an error provoking player and check its SPDIF signal for irregularities that trigger the issue - without spending a fortune.

If there is no new information coming up in the next months I will do that too (because I am just curious. I have no urgent need to do so as our products are not affected). But as I am not with my AP analyzer right now this will have to wait.

You are right that for the final analysis one also needs a newer unit that uses the CS8416. Newer because based on what we know now As you say and might be the case must have changed the chip design or manufacturing process at some point, as the chip seemed to have worked flawlessly since 2002 (!). As I see it Topping and others are not to blame, but victims. And well knowing the way this always works they are double victims, because Cirrus will deny any failure on their side and refuse any kind of compensation that might help those manufacturers.

Thanks for your input

You Conjecture that Topping might be the "Poor Victims" and, maybe even "double victims"..as you say in your post. An Interesting Concept.

"As I see it Topping and others are not to blame, but victims. And well knowing the way this always works they are double victims, because Cirrus will deny any failure on their side and refuse any kind of compensation that might help those manufacturers.

So.... we should stop complaining about our problems with a faulty product many people were sold by Topping, and blame The CS chip manufacturer instead without any proof of this ?.

I'm sure Cirrus Logic would love to respond to this if you have any new 'Information'

I agree that the jury is out until tests are made .

But I cannot feel sorry for a company that has in reality known of the failure of a product it has been selling for some time, and appears to have kept their fingers crossed and hoped no one noticed, and could 'fob' off customers complaints until they went away.

Now that the problem is confirmed and they have no where to turn they suddenly decide to stop Advertising it as a DAC for certain sources via Coaxial

As I have said before, whether Topping or, The Cirrus Chip is to blame or not, we shall hopefully find out.

However Toppings Denial and terrible customer service is appalling. Whatever their excuses ,Topping are in reality leaving customers as "Poor Victims" and, maybe even " double victims"

Thanks for your input

Bill

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A good idea but not really viable...a shame..
All that for a $200 DAC...Wow..

If Anyone finds a source that works could you please post the brand and model number ..it would be most appreciated...?.Unfortunately it sounds like its now too big a job to find a Source capable of working with the New CS chipped Topping E30 on a 'Try It And See basis

I have replied to Toppings Service center via email hoping to get a older AK chipped model...or even just an answer that doesn't basically say " It doesn't work ...and .."Tough luck.."....
You paid $200 for an E30?? BTW, mine has worked flawlessly since its arrival from Apos Audio.

OP
B

billdylan

You paid $200 for an E30?? BTW, mine has worked flawlessly since its arrival from Apos Audio.
Hi Rottmannas

The problem is solely via the coaxial input. Topping have just admitted that the E30 is not recommended for some sources via coaxial. Some CD players work ,some don't . I'm glad it works for you.

As for price, Thats $200 australian

Thanks for posting

Bill

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Rottmannas

The problem is solely via the coaxial input. Topping have just admitted that the E30 is not recommended for some sources via coaxial. Some CD players work ,some don't . I'm glad it works for you.

As for price, Thats $200 australian

Thanks for posting

Bill
Ah...Australian dollars. Luckily I have the OG and have used it via coax from Node 2i and via USB from laptop and PC. If you were closer I'd give it to you, as your angst is palpable.

OP
B

billdylan

Thats a very kind thought Rottmannash

Yeah I guess I'm frustrated ..I just don't think their conduct is acceptable ....

What is an OG ....

if it means it works Thats great . I am only a Postage stamp away..ha..ha !!..:p

Thanks again

Take it easy

Bill

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats a very kind thought Rottmannash

Yeah I guess I'm frustrated ..I just don't think their conduct is acceptable ....

What is an OG ....

if it means it works Thats great . I am only a Postage stamp away..ha..ha !!..:p

Thanks again

Take it easy

Bill
Original. It would have to be a big postage stamp to send a pkg from Nashville TN to Australia. :oops:

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Misinformation.?...man how many excuses do you have..Nothing against you personally either my friend..Thats the company you are affiliated withs Service centre responding......To quote you .."seriously" ?. Step up and sort out your products problem and get the company to respond to my Being stuck with your 'New'....E30..and Be Responsible.

As for the poor seller who sold me this in good faith..this is not his problem to have it returned ...this is Toppings problem ...Be straight up and do the right thing...

Bill
#billdylan. I have two E30s that I bought in Oz last year. I don't use them any more so I could probably (Canberra lockdown willing) send you one. How can you confirm which serials numbers have the older AKM spdif receiver? This thread doesn't seem to say. I could open one up I guess. Once we can confirm mine are the older ones PM if you are interested in one (at no cost, they are just packed away).

OP
B

billdylan

Dear Dougi

that is incredibly kind of you..i am very Touched...Any E30s before march or april of this year have the AK chip ..so either one you bought last year would be so much appreciated and have the AK chip fitted, but you must let me refund postage and something for your trouble

Once again so kind of you

It would also be great to confirm things by placing it in my system

I shall email you with details and work out some form of pay back from me.

Regards

Bill

OP
B

billdylan

Original. It would have to be a big postage stamp to send a pkg from Nashville TN to Australia. :oops:
Ha Ha

I'm joking, mind you I do have a Pedal steel Player friend that i worked in Europe with who moved to Nashsville about 20 years ago to work..

..its nice to have a laugh on here for a change,

Thanks Rottmannash.

Bill

Top Bottom