• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter with topping e30

billdylan

Hi Guys ( and Girls ).... .
Has anyone found a solution to the latest e30 s dislike of most sources ?...cd and dvd..?...and has anyone found a DVD player that is compatible...I've tried 3 different sources..and the problem occurs to varying degrees with Both CD and DVD....so .. As you can Imagine ....I'm loath to buy another player just to find the problem is still there...Any Topping E30 owner's out there with a recommendation... .
Thanks everyone..Your Input is much appreciated
Regards.....Bill

half_dog

I have an E30 with the akm chip and I have no problem so far. If you can buy from AliExpress, the seller HIFI College Store seems to have some "old" units in their stock. I'm not sure if they still have but you could ask them :)

OP
B

billdylan

Thanks for the reply and advice ...Unfortunately I'm stuck with the new chip . ( unit .SN..210373 )......Its not so bad on the newest dvd player ...reckon I'm just gonna have to buy a new dvd with coaxial output ...if it doesn't work I'll send it back ...If that doesn't work ..Its a door stop I guess amazing that a company could mess up so badly and ruin the E30s reputation and sale chances..thanks again Half Dog ...regards...Billi

half_dog

Thanks for the reply and advice ...Unfortunately I'm stuck with the new chip . ( unit .SN..210373 )......Its not so bad on the newest dvd player ...reckon I'm just gonna have to buy a new dvd with coaxial output ...if it doesn't work I'll send it back ...If that doesn't work ..Its a door stop I guess amazing that a company could mess up so badly and ruin the E30s reputation and sale chances..thanks again Half Dog ...regards...Billi
That's nothing, you're welcome :)
I forgot to mention, I don't know the exactly model but my dvd (it's a BD player actually) player is a Phillips (simply model, nothing fancy) from 2010 and all DACs I could tested with it have worked completely fine.
And yeah, this point has being quite frustrating for a considerably group of people... E30 stills amazing when working properly, when works...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've tried 3 different sources..and the problem occurs to varying degrees with Both CD and DVD...
What are the brand/model numbers for this? I am hoping to measure one so we can quantify what it is that causes the incompatibility.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
and has anyone found a DVD player that is compatible.
Most stand-alone DACs can't decode Dolby AC3 or DTS or the various Blu-Ray formats. Of course CDs should be OK and DVD & Blu-Ray sometimes have LPCM, but not always.

If you're using a computer as a DVD/Blu-Ray player the software should decode the various formats to PCM to the USB port.

half_dog

Most stand-alone DACs can't decode Dolby AC3 or DTS or the various Blu-Ray formats. Of course CDs should be OK and DVD & Blu-Ray sometimes have LPCM, but not always.

If you're using a computer as a DVD/Blu-Ray player the software should decode the various formats to PCM to the USB port.
You raised relevant point. By the way, my BD player and my living room TV are both setup to output only pcm doesn't matter the content. If I had left on automatic or any other option the DACs didn't work at all...

OP
B

billdylan

I've Checked the model numbers ...All 3 Work perfectly with my old Audio Alchemy DDE V1.1 Dac From long ago...I kind of think The New Chip in the E30 Demands too good a source Than A $200 DAC should be expecting to be paired with...One Of The Sources Is An old Marantz CD 63 with a new laser fitted...jumps like crazy...2nd...a Sony DVP NS575P dvd player ...once again... Jumps like crazy ...and 3rd...a DVD HD recorder DMR XW390 which drops out for a few milliseconds ever 45 seconds ....I don't feel any confidence in this DAC at all...I think The Cheap Upgrade Topping DAC has been Screwed By The New Chip....Hopefully I'm Wrong ....Until We Know there is a fix....I Think The Topping Has Lost its 'Recommended' status unless you need an expensive Paper Weight..

martytoo

Hi Guys ( and Girls ).... .
Has anyone found a solution to the latest e30 s dislike of most sources ?...cd and dvd..?...and has anyone found a DVD player that is compatible...I've tried 3 different sources..and the problem occurs to varying degrees with Both CD and DVD....so .. As you can Imagine ....I'm loath to buy another player just to find the problem is still there...Any Topping E30 owner's out there with a recommendation... .
Thanks everyone..Your Input is much appreciated
Regards.....Bill
I found that two or three of the older CD players and one DVD player had dropouts with my E30. Then I tried a Samsung Blu-ray player and had no problem. I bought another Samsung Blu-ray player and found it also works fine with the E30.

OP
B

billdylan

I found that two or three of the older CD players and one DVD player had dropouts with my E30. Then I tried a Samsung Blu-ray player and had no problem. I bought another Samsung Blu-ray player and found it also works fine with the E30.
Yup...still sitting as a door stop next to my old reliable Audio alchemy.DAC.....Mind you...Its a nice looking Door Stop !!...no more topping for me..

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company

It would have been nice to get the exact model numbers of those problematic ones.

OP
B

billdylan

I shall get them and post them...However .....I think the odds of 4 different sources not working with the E30 with the new chip are pretty small......Especially as My other Audio alchemy DAC works with all 4 impeccably.... ...As The Saying Goes .."If it looks like a duck ...and walks like a Duck...Its probably a Duck".........I think the Topping Dac with the new chip is a 'probably not gonna work consistently with The Kind Of sources a $200 DAC would be used with...Its a Risk not worth taking in my book.. ....Cheers..

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My request went to @martytoo. It seems Amir (but also me, and maybe some more people) would like to know what exactly it is that makes the SPDIF receiver fail. For that one needs to buy one of the failing CD models on ebay to be able to analyze their SPDIF stream with the APx. The 3 listed so far by you are seldom and expensive, at least for this kind of (basically unnecessary) research. So @martytoo's model numbers might help.

Last edited:
OP
B

billdylan

Here are the model numbers as posted earlier in this thread ......Here are the Model numbers again.... ...I hope this helps....Thank you for your input ........The sources are...." An old Marantz CD 63 with a new laser fitted...jumps like crazy...2nd...a Sony DVP NS575P dvd player ...once again... Jumps like crazy ...and 3rd...a DVD HD recorder DMR XW390 which drops out every 45 seconds or so "...since then I have tried a 2 year old Philips DVD player ...even worse....If Topping would like to change My Topping E30 for an earlier version with the old chip i would be happy to try it with my many sources and comment on any improvement ...I bought my Topping from an ebay seller and did not want to leave negative feedback on their site ...so I accepted the unit and thought that I would be able find a recommendation to a CD or DVD source it would accept ......Not realising its a common problem until finding others in the same situation on the Internet......... ...Its now too much risk to throw any more money at the problem buying another cd or dvd player only to find that it doesn't work with the E30......If your research brings you to a reasonably priced source ..or sources ...that work...Please let me know ..And I'll buy one..
...Thanks ...Bill

Last edited:
OP
B

billdylan

Thank You ...I appreciate you looking at the Topping E30 jitter thread .....And Await any advances solving the new chip compatibility problems ...

OP
B

billdylan

I am new on this forum ...so please bear with me ..MC-RME ...on your profile it mentions Technical Expert ..thank you for your skill.......and next it says 'Manufacturer'....does this mean you work for Topping ?.....I hope so ..Thanks again..Bill

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new on this forum ...so please bear with me ..MC-RME ...on your profile it mentions Technical Expert ..thank you for your skill.......and next it says 'Manufacturer'....does this mean you work for Topping ?.....I hope so ..Thanks again..Bill
MC_RME works for RME (as in RME-ADI Dac) and not for Topping just for clarification.

OP
B

billdylan

Didn't seem to be any compatibilty problems mentioned before the CS8416 chip ...now ..?..I have found a few while researching the jitter problem ....

Top Bottom