• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jitter with topping e30

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there you guys, i started reading very good reviews here for the topping e30 and i bought one, never saw anything that would sugest problems, if i did i would never bough it... to my surprise these units don´t work well with any digital inputs, cds or dvds.. you always get the jitter problem on all phisical media... that just eliminates the purpose of the dac, some only connect it to tv´s and pc´s but its a digital dac that should be good to revive your old cd player or dvd... this is a problem with all of them, not a few as i read somewere and also with the akm chip... this is a shame and it´s not something to be overlook by a company who knows about these problems at least for 2 years and keeps selling them like there is nothing wrong.. this is just wrong practice, i will never buy anything from them again and we should boicot them until they fix these problems.
Months ago I would have bought a Topping product but today, no. I just bought a DAC and a headphone amp from JDS labs and Schiit. The price is good, the warranty is 2 years and they have a good reputation for customer service and product reliability and they are on the same continent as me so shipping expenses are reasonable. Topping is going about the customer service and the product integrity all wrong.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Months ago I would have bought a Topping product but today, no. I just bought a DAC and a headphone amp from JDS labs and Schiit. The price is good, the warranty is 2 years and they have a good reputation for customer service and product reliability and they are on the same continent as me so shipping expenses are reasonable. Topping is going about the customer service and the product integrity all wrong.

100% agree. The dropout issues on the recent Topping DACs were troubling but after the PA5 fiasco I am staying far away. Which is a shame because I would really like a DM7 but $600 is a lot to spend on something with no support and in general I try not support companies with such terrible business practices. Oh well.

Michael

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
100% agree. The dropout issues on the recent Topping DACs were troubling but after the PA5 fiasco I am staying far away. Which is a shame because I would really like a DM7 but $600 is a lot to spend on something with no support and in general I try not support companies with such terrible business practices. Oh well.

Michael
Topping is about to learn a tough business lesson. When losing customers it costs big time to get them all back if they ever do get them back.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think I remember a DAC review where there was a specific setting to adjust the jitter tolerance of its interfaces? My brain can’t recall which it was.

In any case, this is a gap in knowledge when trying to select a new DAC…I need to know if it will work with my TV’s, as one example.

So I would love to see something in future DAC reviews that defines this.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I remember a DAC review where there was a specific setting to adjust the jitter tolerance of its interfaces? My brain can’t recall which it was.

In any case, this is a gap in knowledge when trying to select a new DAC…I need to know if it will work with my TV’s, as one example.

Some DACs can adjust the DPLL bandwidth, lower bandwidth helps with jitter rejection but is more susceptible to drop outs. However Topping have said that relaxing the DPLL bandwidth won't solve the issue -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-d90se-review-balanced-dac.24235/post-834898.

EDIT: Although at least one person is claiming a new D90SE firmware solved their drop out issue which may point to relaxed DPLL bandwidth having some effect.

I agree that exploring this issue more would be great for consumers.

Michael

nobleb

I confirm that this version of Topping e30 is very picky with its sources:

NAD C520 coaxial: may dropouts
Technics SL-PG590 optical: no sound (weak signal perhaps)
LG DVD DVX550 coaxial: seems pretty OK (but not recommended as a transport as not even the track number is displayed ...)
Chromecast Audio optical: fully stable

So yes a letdown for me but I'm lucky I only use it for chromecast audio and usb
I would also like to add that it's not only the cirrus chip that's the problem. My previous dac (audioengine D1) had the same chip and worked flawlessly with the Technics. It probably has to do with the implementation as we

in general i think in tv, streamers and pc´s it works ok.. just don´t use it to connect to a dvd or a cd player.

nobleb

Topping is about to learn a tough business lesson. When losing customers it costs big time to get them all back if they ever do get them back.
this is ridiculous, even the top of line d90se has jitter problems.. to be honest i still don´t know how i coudn´t see anything before i bought one... we should spread the word to other future customers..

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
this is ridiculous, even the top of line d90se has jitter problems.. to be honest i still don´t know how i coudn´t see anything before i bought one... we should spread the word to other future customers..
The word is being spread by posting here. It's in progress.

nobleb

Does anybody knows if the smsl units suffer from the same problems with the digital inputs on cd and dvd players ?

saberger0357

in general i think in tv, streamers and pc´s it works ok.. just don´t use it to connect to a dvd or a cd player.
So just to bring this old thread back for a minute...I only found out yesterday about these SPDIF issues with the E30. I'd been using and really enjoying it with USB connection to my lap top, but wanted to try it with my 6000CDT and of course, drop outs. Thought at first it was cd issues, but after finally doing some research found out otherwise. But after reading through much of this thread, I decided to give it a go with my Squeezebox Touch, streaming hi res from Qobuz with the coax connection, and so far so good. Which I'm really happy about because I really like the E30, it's small footprint and its sound(or non sound, as it were). I have both the SMSL SU-8 and 9 which I can use if the E30 fails, but for now I will agree with the comment that I quoted.

dermawani

hi all, i have same issue with the e30 when using my old samsung dvd player, and the dvd player has hdmi port.

i think i have a workaround for my dvd player. i bought another device/converter which is converting hdmi to optical signal. i bought the device for like 5 usd.

so i connect the dvd player to this converter using hdmi cable, and then i connect the converter to the e30 using optical cable.

i play some audio cd, sounds ok to me.

probably it will work also for you who are using the coaxial port on the cd/dvd player, i see different converter model which can convert from coaxial to optical signal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom