• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jethro Tull's Live In Iceland 5.1

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson Thick As A Brick Live In Iceland
An excellent 5.1 BluRay recording of a live small scale performance of both TAAB 1 and TAAB2.
BluRay sound is DTS-HD Master Audio 24/96 and the quality is excellent all around. Tastefull 5.1 mix
Also available on disc is a straight LPCM Stereo mix if you don't have a multich rig at hand.
Ian Anderson has always been a bit serious about his in-concert sound. I remember attending a 1972 concert in Chicago's old International Amphitheater, a big old barn of a building with horrible sound. At the beginning of the concert Ian came out and first apologized to the audience for the horrid sound quaility, promising never to return to Chicago till a better sounding venue could be found. (didn't sound too bad to me that night but I have no reccolection of what chemicals I may have consumed that evening.) :p
Anyway, a good live concert with very good sound and a enjoyable stage opera being performed thru-out. Recorded live 2012-2013
It's material like this that really let a nice multich rig shine. ;)

Eirikur

Hi @Sal1950 , do you happen to have the "Thick as a Brick" remixes by Steve Wilson?
Some of the original DVD releases had glitches on the first track and this was rectified, however...

If you have it, can you hear glitches on "side" two? It starts about 27:37 into the total record, right into the "How's you're Granny?" lyrics. I hear some tones/beeps at around 8900Hz and also 9650Hz around that point that are really annoying, but I'd like to know if it's just my version or a generic problem.
It's present in the stereo and DTS mixes, but not on the flat transfer.

PS: only the right channel in the stereo mix, I didn't check the DTS location

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi @Sal1950 , do you happen to have the "Thick as a Brick" remixes by Steve Wilson?
Some of the original DVD releases had glitches on the first track and this was rectified, however...

If you have it, can you hear glitches on "side" two? It starts about 27:37 into the total record, right into the "How's you're Granny?" lyrics. I hear some tones/beeps at around 8900Hz and also 9650Hz around that point that are really annoying, but I'd like to know if it's just my version or a generic problem.
It's present in the stereo and DTS mixes, but not on the flat transfer.

PS: only the right channel in the stereo mix, I didn't check the DTS location
I don't have any of the TAAB optical disc releases. I do have the Steve Wilson remastered 2015 24/96 Stereo download from HDTracks.
Listening closely on my Senn HD650 cans I don't hear any of the abnormalities you describe.

So you ride yourselves over the fields
and you make all your animal deals
and your wise men don't know how it feels
to be thick as a brick. ;)

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I didn't expect a substitute vocalist...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I didn't expect a substitute vocalist...

I saw them play on the 50th anniversary tour. Anderson's voice was totally shot. That kid (don't know his name) sang Aqualung.

I was quite sad.

Eirikur

Listening closely on my Senn HD650 cans I don't hear any of the abnormalities you describe.
Interesting, thanks.

I "fixed" the stereo part using Audacity, rather unbelievable you can select a small blip out of the frequency cloud, attenuate it and gone is the problem without introducing (serious) new artifacts.
1570579443998.png

When you look at the waveform you can actually see the 9kHz and ~10kHz modulate in the right channel
1570581396962.png

In the end I've also shaved off one 8kHz tone, and this is the difference (look at the scale on the left):
1570582910478.png

Zoomed in it's more clear, all fairly non-musical:
1570583052524.png

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thick as a Brick is such an amazing album, and I love Jethro Tull, but I hurt inside when I hear Ian sing nowadays, I can't watch or listen to any of the more recent stuff, makes me sad. Still one of the greatest front men ever in rock, such an amazing stage presence, can't take that away from him, Father Time.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I "fixed" the stereo part using Audacity, rather unbelievable you can select a small blip out of the frequency cloud, attenuate it and gone is the problem without introducing (serious) new artifacts.
Audacity's an amazing tool and free, open source to boot, awesome!

Thick as a Brick is such an amazing album, and I love Jethro Tull, but I hurt inside when I hear Ian sing nowadays, I can't watch or listen to any of the more recent stuff, makes me sad. Still one of the greatest front men ever in rock, such an amazing stage presence, can't take that away from him, Father Time.
Life's a bitch and then we get old.
I've seen Jethro Tull around 3 times in the 70-80's, always a top shelf performance (from what I can remember). LOL
But things could be worse for Ian, Father Time has no mercy, think of what's happened to poor Linda Ronstadt. :mad: :(

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
I saw them play on the 50th anniversary tour. Anderson's voice was totally shot. That kid (don't know his name) sang Aqualung.

I was quite sad.

Me too, at the Greek in Berkeley. Great show, great music, but as you say Ian's voice was.....

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Yeah, I’m almost as old as Sal. Almost.

Saw Tull the first time in 1969, opening for the Who and Led Zeppelin.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Saw Tull the first time in 1969, opening for the Who and Led Zeppelin.
Really! Talk about a super frickin show, OMG

Reactions: SIY
Top Bottom