• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jeff Rowland 535 Stereo Amplifier Review

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could be true if the load is the accountant :). Ncore are supposed to have a load independant response, not the case for Pascal modules.

I found where I read those statements:

"Duntechs, with their multiple drivers and complicated crossovers, are a very difficult load," Mytek's chief designer, Michal Jurewicz, told me. "Hypex [class-D modules] cannot drive it, the amps collapse, but this Brooklyn Amp does it with ease. This came out during months of design tests I did in 2016, when we were testing many different circuits." Jurewicz also said that Mytek spent six months experimenting with more than 15 class-D amplifier modules from various OEMs, upgrading parts, adding capacitors, adjusting circuit parameters.

While obviously not SOTA, Mytek gear is reasonably well-engineered. I find it implausible that Jurewicz would make this up and risk a defamation claim.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company

While obviously not SOTA, Mytek gear is reasonably well-engineered. I find it implausible that Jurewicz would make this up and risk a defamation claim.
Fair enough. If I want to be picky, he says "Hypex" and not "Ncore". In terms of performance, the UcD modules are more in line with Pascal. And they are not load immune. So I could imagine that they have difficulties in some cases.
Anyhow, it was more for the (bad) joke of the accountant than writing anything serious.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir likes his class d as well :D

I'm so jealous of this drop dead gorgeous thing...

Z7Pyz2t77I1uIo40I__8vglBziA5YJIHl0Hda-9MHAv5Zc80B9s6n2OjCB6VDcFGfdFA3kLt_eLsnjehnvBLMxy4wly3gaxae8-YjbyVYVvUmxalNtq2TNvjLZZUZOOI-F3Au04IeHLFfJIN82CU

This is pretty cool!

But if am looking for 5-7 channels of Class D amplification is there anything out there that competes with an Outlaw 7000x or similar?

Have been looking, but have not really found much...

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SEKLEM

Frankly, with what has been uncovered about the amplifier so far, it should be the headless panther level.

I mean, you can probably buy whole amps utilizing this module for USD$1000 or less. Or apparently EUR 499,00.

Headless panther was my first thought as well. I believe the only reason it does NOT have a headless panther is that there isn't something functionally "wrong" with the amplifier. It's just vastly overrated.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What a large amount of BS... "Jeff Pioneered the power rails " ...

Headless panther was my first thought as well. I believe the only reason it does NOT have a headless panther is that there isn't something functionally "wrong" with the amplifier. It's just vastly overrated.

I agree...
Same with another amp that can't provide more than 8 watts at 10 KHz ... :rolleyes:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is pretty cool!

But if am looking for 5-7 channels of Class D amplification is there anything out there that competes with an Outlaw 7000x or similar?

ATI and Nord both make what you are looking for. I believe ATI manufactures amps for Outlaw (they did years ago). They make amps for a lot of companies.

I would also look at the Emotiva XPA amps. They are Class H, which uses a tracking power supply. Low heat and efficiency like a class D, just a different way of doing it.

Last edited:

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is pretty cool!

Apollon and Nord make multichannel amps. Check their websites.

Rene

[QUOTE="polmuaddib, post: 372260, member: 13788"
btw, those capacitors are a part of PFC (Power Factor Correction) circuit, i think, that is supposed to clean the power or something...[/QUOTE]

That would make sense and significantly improve the Pascal's handling of bass transients like kick drum. Pascal uses the minimum amount of capacitance in their power factor corrected supplies to sustain continuous power ratings without blowing up the PFC capacitor - for cost reasons, of course.

Rene

Mitek does mention upgrading parts. I have no experience with Hypex power supplies but if I remember, we were quoted ~$18 for a single channel 200 watt OEM module. Compare that to the cost and convenience of the Pascal stereo unit with combined power supply..

Rmeillat

That's 10 big electrolytic caps they could have removed without impacting performance... unless performance is affected by how audiophile it looks.

showimage.asp
I trust Jeff Rowland's design skills much more than people shooting his gear down without listening to it first! At least he's proved himself many times over! Hope people mocking this amp because it didn't measure well actually got to hear it. It's probably not his best but still does the job well.

Top Bottom