• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element III Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 159 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 36.7%

• Total voters

audiofun

Yes. It's high quality and you feel the difference the moment you get it. It justify the selling price well.
They are made in the USA, by the way.

Those who want cheaper can go Atom. Identical performance, around $100 for DAC and Amp each.
Case is done via injection molding. For JDS there's an upfront cost at the beginning for molding.
After that, producing each case should be around $1. JDS Atom cases are made in China.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Bernard23

I don't have any audible imbalance issues with my Element II so no point in making the upgrade. I love the form factor of the Element, it' so easy to integrate into a busy desk. I did think of the ADI-2 DAC FS but I've got EQ covered by Roon (and the payback for the investment into the RME is 7 years).

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Thanks for the detailed review, @amirm About the Element III, I like the interface but price wise, I think it's a bit pricy compared with similar and better performing combos. At $449 you can get better performance from Topping or SMSL. Just my 2 cents.
They are built in cheap-labor locations rather than US like the JDS.
I don't want anything with a digital volume control (they control the volume by shortening the word length, thereby reducing resolution) and the auto gain sounds like it could use a little refinement), My Atom and Sanskrit vII work fine for me. Nice to see JDS not resting on its laurels though. I considered the Element when I bought the Atom but decided $150 was too much of a premium for a nice metal case. Schiit can do that at $99 but (in fairness) is a more established company that can probably take advantage of economies of scale not yet accessible to JDS.

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
JDS Labs truly has the best customer service. I had a power button issue with the Element III I ordered, John immediately responded to my email and sent me a new working one. I'm actually downgrading from the RME ADI-2 DAC, for a few reasons: the volume control on the RME often jumps up/down when adjusting, often enough it is very annoying. Also, I hardly use any of it's features, and what features is does have like EQ and crossfeed I already have on my computer. The Element III volume control is basically flawless, super smooth feeling and no sudden jumps in volume.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Just got my first JDS piece, an Atom+ DAC, it's performing well. I have a Modi 3 but had a use for a second DAC capable of higher resolutions, so wanted to dip my toe in with JDS. They do have great customer service for sure.

It's interesting how the JDS product line options kind of straddle the Schiit low-end zone. I do prefer the look of the Modi/Magni stack but the plastic cases on the Atom line are OK and it's not flopping around, even though very light. But then the Element line, yeah, it is definitely a much more aesthetic look, big step up, but at a cost. If money were no object, I'd buy an Element III. The production video made me want one even more.

jseaber

Audio Company

Thanks for sharing this! The footage was shot in 2014 right before the original Element was released. Our manufacturing process is more automated now, with robots running faster machines.

Note: when I first powered up the unit, it defaulted to some slow filter that would not change until I switched inputs between toslink and USB. Then it was fine. My unit is an early production running an older firmware revision (2.06 vs 2.09). I am told this is fixed in production units (company verified by sampling a number of units randomly).

Update: We pinpointed the cause of this behavior earlier this week, and it turns out the ESS's "auto" de-emphasis flag is responsible, not a bug in DAC Filter selection.

Auto S/PDIF De-Emphasis should only be applied when detected in an S/PDIF stream. We found that the ESS DAC may enable de-emphasis for an I2S stream (USB mode) when the Auto flag is enabled. The behavior does not occur on most ES9018s, but can occur predictably on a fraction of chips. ESS sets the default `spdif_auto_deemph` value to Disabled. We enabled the option days before release with normal results in both USB and TOSLINK modes. Amir was lucky to spot the behavior, and fortunately, it's easily avoided.

Firmware v2.1.0 will be published soon to enforce De-Emphasis = OFF in USB mode, along with minor improvements.

Element III is temporarily sold out, and we will ensure all boards ship with v2.1.0 moving forward.

For anyone running v2.0.9: Make sure to set SPDIF DE-EMPHASIS to OFF.
OLED pixels are white, ignore my camera!
1644515754400.png

DivineCurrent

Forum Donor
Did you try the latest firmware? It fixed the jumpy encoders on mine. If nothing else it will increase your resale value.
Yup, that new firmware seems to have fixed it, thanks!

confucius_zero

audiofun

Thanks for sharing this! The footage was shot in 2014 right before the original Element was released. Our manufacturing process is more automated now, with robots running faster machines.
Good to know. Could you post a new video so we can learn more about it?

jseaber

Audio Company
Good to know. Could you post a new video so we can learn more about it?

Ha, it would be nowhere near the cinematic quality of the original. That 4 minute clip involved a film crew while we halted our old machine shop for days to capture clean sound and video. Today the machines must keep running, churning out parts for two companies. Lookup UR10E robots if you're curious about the current manufacturing process.

I'd like to share more, but we also have a month backlog of Element IIIs to produce even with robotic automation.

more established company that can probably take advantage of economies of scale not yet accessible to JDS.

Business size is a function of vision, execution, and market demand. JDS Labs is kept small with intention. We're honored that our style is frequently copied and has helped push the market forward, and we're proud to be 100% bootstrapped after 15 years. I've declined VC funding to maintain integrity and uphold our mission. I've made mistakes along the way--that's part of growth. But make no mistake, the Atom line has been a tremendous success and is not limited by funding. You'll find a timeline on the About Us tab of jdslabs.com.

For anyone unsure of the impact of digital attenuation on resolution, Monty of Xiph.org debunks a number of myths in his 2013 video, D/A and A/D | Digital Show and Tell. Eye opening for those without a background in digital signals.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That video makes me want to get one in Shiny Metal as is when it's fabbed.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Early forms of USB audio were "push" (like SPDIF): the source sends the data and the DAC must constantly adapt to any slight differences in clock rates. Sometimes called "adaptive" mode.

More recent USB audio is async or "pull": the DAC controls data transfer from the source so it (the DAC) can use its own clock with no need to adapt to clock rate differences with the source.
Finally an explanation. That makes a lot of sense.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Well, still one mistake. The switches on the back. I was hoping they would fix that.
I am surprised they made it out this quick. I had gathered from a comment John made it would be March at best.

Folks, get over the sticker shock. Times they are a changing. The question is, is the price worth it to you? With digital volume, I was hoping for remote volume and they would have got me. Sticking with my Atom feeding my Asgard for now. I assume 99% of the buyers are desktop users, so their choices make sense.

Hemi-Demon

A nice device, good enough performance, but the price is a bit much imo. It's not for me, but I do like this company. I have owned three of their devices over the years to support. No way I would buy a device with a 9018 chip in 2022 though.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A nice device, good enough performance, but the price is a bit much imo. It's not for me, but I do like this company. I have owned three of their devices over the years to support. No way I would buy a device with a 9018 chip in 2022 though.
9038 may be the new standard for ESS chips but, this product's focus was refinement of the unit more so than pushing the technology envelope. JDS is not trying to push the SINAD with this product.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
So, how does the DAC section of this compare with the Element II+ DAC? Is the stand alone DAC lost in the confusion they described on development of the Element III? For that matter, what does either do better than the Atom DAC+? ( DAC wise, not features)

confucius_zero

You'll find a timeline on the About Us tab of jdslabs.com.
I didn't think of looking at such a badass page.

Ending with the carving of someone's precious.
2022-02-13 18_33_51-Sound as Science _ About JDS Labs.jpg

Top Bottom