• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Element III Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 159 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 36.7%

• Total voters

Obizzz

Excuse my ignorance. I'm looking for an amp + dac (either combo or separates) to use with a pair of Focal Utopia. I'm more familiar with home theatre, so a bit out of my element here.

I like the look of the Element III, but intend on using it with a raspberry pi as the source. I only see drivers on the website for Win 10/11 though. Does this mean I won't be able to connect a raspberry pi (running ubuntu or similar) via usb?
I run my Element III using Ropieee on a Raspberry Pi.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
via USB? Does it need special drivers?
No, it is a USB audio device. It has windows ASIO drivers but they are optional. There are windows firmware updates, also optional. I also believe the windows software can implement the optional parametric EQ.

Monosauras

I tested out the mk1 today and was left very impressed.
Unfortunately the knob on the display was wobbly. Looked like it had been damaged. Still, I'm pretty confident that it will be what I buy in the end.

I'm hearing wonderful things about JDS' after sales service, but what about for international buyers? It's only available through one retailer locally (Australia), but they only have the mk1, and I think I'd rather the new knob of the mk2.

jseaber

Audio Company
I tested out the mk1 today and was left very impressed.
Unfortunately the knob on the display was wobbly. Looked like it had been damaged. Still, I'm pretty confident that it will be what I buy in the end.

I'm hearing wonderful things about JDS' after sales service, but what about for international buyers? It's only available through one retailer locally (Australia), but they only have the mk1, and I think I'd rather the new knob of the mk2.

A batch of Element III MK2s arrived at our Australian retailer in late October. You may encourage them to list the newer inventory

DJ LP

A batch of Element III MK2s arrived at our Australian retailer in late October. You may encourage them to list the newer inventory
Hello. I have another question. When coming out of the rca outputs, the volume doesn't go past zero. Is there an update you all can do to make it so that the volume control would be able to go beyond zero for the rca outputs?

jseaber

Audio Company
Hello. I have another question. When coming out of the rca outputs, the volume doesn't go past zero. Is there an update you all can do to make it so that the volume control would be able to go beyond zero for the rca outputs?
This is intentional, as 0dB corresponds to 2VRMS. I suppose we could expand the limit to 4VRMS, however, the full scale output of 9.3V would likely result in clipping to most receiving equipment. Reach out via email and we can try a custom firmware for you when time allows.

DJ LP

This is intentional, as 0dB corresponds to 2VRMS. I suppose we could expand the limit to 4VRMS, however, the full scale output of 9.3V would likely result in clipping to most receiving equipment. Reach out via email and we can try a custom firmware for you when time allows.
Ok. Thank you so much for your quick response and solving a problem that I'm having. Greatly appreciated.

hpiem

I’m really digging the Element III design and I’ll admit that factors highly into my purchase decisions But I do have some questions:

- Is there some kind of loudness feature available on the Element III? If not, any chance we could have that implemented via a firmware update?

- Another (nitpicking) question: is there any way we can get rid the ugly ferrite from the USB cable to clean up the appearance a little bit more?

- Will this work alright with highly sensitive IEMs, e.g. Campfire Andromeda?

Nutul

- Another (nitpicking) question: is there any way we can get rid the ugly ferrite from the USB cable to clean up the appearance a little bit more?
The ferrite is supposed to clean interference/noise on the cable (whether useful or not, I cannot really tell).
Anyway, you should be able to unclasp it and unwind the cable.

EDIT:
or change the cable for one without it, if it has plugs on both ends...

vavent_

@jseaber I'm currently a happy owner of Element III for one year, I'm planning to buy some Genelec monitors for desktop use, they have not RCA but XLR analog inputs, can I connect mine Element III to the via RCA -> XLR cable and control the sound and use internal DAC for them? Or I need to buy separate DAC for speakers?

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone.
Being a proud owner of a JDS Labs Element 3 and loving the sound, ease of use, quality and practicality of the big volume knob, i have been experiencing a very random bug: the unit seems to enter a non-responsive state with either using Spdif or USB inputs and only turning it off and on again seems to fix it, it still functions, but at the fixed volume level it entered this unresponsive state before failing. Mostly it can go for days (i leave the unit on 24/7) without any problem, but sometimes, every other day or week, this weird behavior occurs. I have the 2.2.0 firmware and it didnt happened with the previous firmware. Anyone experienced this? Is there a way i can revert the firmware?
Thank you!
I also keep experiencing this on occasion, let's say every 2-3 weeks (I always let it on the entire time). Doesn't bug me enough to do anything about it though. It is easily accessible and the on/off button is quick to fix it.
I use it connected to 2 different Win10 computers as an USB DAC via a top of the line KVM switch. One uses the standard Win driver, the other the JDS Labs driver version

Last edited:

paudio

@jseaber I'm currently a happy owner of Element III for one year, I'm planning to buy some Genelec monitors for desktop use, they have not RCA but XLR analog inputs, can I connect mine Element III to the via RCA -> XLR cable and control the sound and use internal DAC for them? Or I need to buy separate DAC for speakers?
Check your Genelec manual for how you're supposed to connect RCA to them. Likely you can do RCA -> XLR or 1/4" and it will tell you how they should be wired.

paudio

I’m really digging the Element III design and I’ll admit that factors highly into my purchase decisions But I do have some questions:

- Is there some kind of loudness feature available on the Element III? If not, any chance we could have that implemented via a firmware update?

- Will this work alright with highly sensitive IEMs, e.g. Campfire Andromeda?
MK II of the Element III doesn't have loudness but it's been suggested to them. It does however have a 2 band EQ. You get to select a predefined frequency and set gain for each.

It is definitely pretty spendy but also pretty great. i especially like clear knob that is currently available. I am pretty happy with my Qudelix and Apple dongles though. For the same price I can get a RME Babyface Pro which has 3 band fully parametric EQ built in. Way less power on tap but definitely enough power for me.

Para_dox77

When getting the boosted version, is there any negative effects to the measurements provided in this review or is it just more free power? Might not even need it, but considering this would be my endgame daily driver I rather have it than not.

Top Bottom