• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs EL AMP II vs SMSL SP200

wrigglycheese

Swtoby

I've had no problem using the EL Amp with the T50 based Modhouse Argon.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

I've had no problem using the EL Amp with the T50 based Modhouse Argon.

I appreciate the reply - The EL Amp lack of power concerned me.

The Fostex run straight off my Xbox Controller with enough volume so I am sure there is a difference between having 'no problems' and optimal audio quality.

Is there a reason I woud buy the JDS EL above the much cheaper SMSL SP200 ?

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Ergonomics. The volume wheel is a nice feature.

I appreciate the reply, but I don't think I could possibly care any less about ergonomics - I am here for audio fidelity, and nothing else, assuming if ofc has the conectivity I need, which is basic.

Swtoby

I did own the SMSL for a brief period. The problem I had with it was I found it unusable with less demanding headphones. It got way too loud for my tastes with the volume not up very much. I find the JDS to have more usable range on the volume. But if you are only using the headphones you mentioned my issues with the SMSL may not matter.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

I did own the SMSL for a brief period. The problem I had with it was I found it unusable with less demanding headphones. It got way too loud for my tastes with the volume not up very much. I find the JDS to have more usable range on the volume. But if you are only using the headphones you mentioned my issues with the SMSL may not matter.

Understood - appreciated.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

How about the Sp400 now?:cool:

Actually.... I was looking a the SH-9 in fact I will be honest I'd have bought it but delivery time was nearly Christmas so just didn't pull the trigger. Too long of a wait ;P (Arrives: Dec 18 - Jan 4)

As it is, I am currently using different headphones and ended up with the Topping L30

What on earth is the SP400 ?

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
Top Bottom