• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

Veri

Master Contributor
I was trying to set up Foobar to use WASAPI (event) but im getting extreme stuttering and popping. It works if its in (push) mode but not event for some reason.
Foobar WASAPI is an external plug-in and from what I remember in the past the event mode was notoriously buggy...

jseaber

Audio Company
Hello! I just picked up this little unit. A bit of a step up compared to my on board PC Motherboard's DAC :)

I was trying to set up Foobar to use WASAPI (event) but im getting extreme stuttering and popping. It works if its in (push) mode but not event for some reason. Anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong? I also have yet to get this piped through my Dirac Live correctly as well.

View attachment 236846

Sounds like insufficient buffering. You can increase Buffer Size in the XMOS driver Control Panel:

1665671214841.png

TheFiend1

Thanks @Robbo99999! So many places to adjust the sound output on PC o_O

@jseaber Weird I dont have whatever software that is you have a screenshot of. Can I find that from their website?

jseaber

Audio Company

ITguyAR

I just ordered one of these to replace the Topping D10S as I needed something with USB and TOSlink inputs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered one of these to replace the Topping D10S as I needed something with USB and TOSlink inputs.
I use one and it's just works, no issues, no drama and I forget about it being there.

ITguyAR

I use one and it's just works, no issues, no drama and I forget about it being there.

That's exactly how I would like for it to be. Sometimes I get tired of seeing the Topping's orange display that clashes with the other stuff. lol

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's exactly how I would like for it to be. Sometimes I get tired of seeing the Topping's orange display that clashes with the other stuff. lol
The powder blue illuminated ring on the front is subdued and neutral. If you intend to stack the DAC with another component the JDS Labs STACK RCA CABLES is really nice addition. They retain their shape so the stuff holds together better.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hmm....not showing that they have these for sale on Amazon currently. I like ordering from there because of the return policy.
Neither is really sold on Amazon... Some schiit stuff is but I've never seen jds on Amazon since they aren't a high volume company.
Amazon takes a large margin for smaller vendors.

ITguyAR

Well, the JDS Atom DAC+ worked for about a week but now it won't recognize USB anymore. Yes, I know how to troubleshoot and wasted an hour with it but neither Qobuz or Spotify will play anything without giving errors. Tried all their troubleshooting stuff to no avail. Hooked the Topping D10S back up and it instantly was recognized. It was worth a try but it's gonna go back.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well, the JDS Atom DAC+ worked for about a week but now it won't recognize USB anymore. Yes, I know how to troubleshoot and wasted an hour with it but neither Qobuz or Spotify will play anything without giving errors. Tried all their troubleshooting stuff to no avail. Hooked the Topping D10S back up and it instantly was recognized. It was worth a try but it's gonna go back.
Obviously you got a bad one. I would contact them for a replacement.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Obviously you got a bad one. I would contact them for a replacement.
I agree. JDS Labs customer support can't be beat. I'd be very surprised if they didn't replace the unit!

posvibes

In the post industrial capitalist world it is heartening to see competition at work in this product space and price category as esoteric as it may be.in comparison to expanding marketing budgets some innovation, design and engineering chops can win customers. Unlike Amir if only Steve Gutenberg had used his questionable taste in shirts for good instead of evil.

Suppa92

I connected my atom dac+ to a Ubuntu 22.10 pc via USB and noticed two atom dac+ options get listed in Output devices.
1.Digital Output(S/PDIF) - JDS Labs Atom DAC+
2. Analog Output - JDS Labs Atom DAC+

Is this a software issue or if it's normal , which option is the correct one?

Diable

I connected my atom dac+ to a Ubuntu 22.10 pc via USB and noticed two atom dac+ options get listed in Output devices.
1.Digital Output(S/PDIF) - JDS Labs Atom DAC+
2. Analog Output - JDS Labs Atom DAC+

Is this a software issue or if it's normal , which option is the correct one?
Its normal. The correct output is the "Analog Output" which is the the red and white RCA outputs on the back. The digital option is listed because S/PDif is bidirectional but output over S/PDif isn't activated on the Atom DAC+.

MRC01

Major Contributor
If you want the PC to send digital music data to the DAC over USB, you should select digital output in Ubuntu sound settings.
It sounds like @Diable is talking about the DAC's analog outputs, which is different.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Its normal. The correct output is the "Analog Output" which is the the red and white RCA outputs on the back. The digital option is listed because S/PDif is bidirectional but output over S/PDif isn't activated on the Atom DAC+.
Are you sure it isn't? Would be weird for it to appear then.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Here's what it looks like on my XUbuntu 20 system. In my case it's a sound card with a digital output and analog input fed by an external mic preamp. I select Digital Stereo IEC958 Output to enable the digital output that feeds an external DAC, and Analog Stereo Input to receive the mic feed.
1677021683816.png

BTW, IEC958 is another name for S/PDIF, which can be coax or toslink.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just a quick post to let people know that JDS Labs now has an option for heavier Atom Amp+ and Atom DAC+, called "Hevi", that feature an engraveable aluminum top panel (and a deeper volume knob for the Amp+ Hevi):

$10 extra for the DAC+ Hevi compared to the standard version, and $15 extra for the AMP+ Hevi compared to standard.

Link to my post on the AMP+ review thread for anyone interested:

Both products have a 2-year transferable warranty, by the way.

(I have no affiliation with JDS Labs or any other audio company, I bought an original Atom Amp back in January of 2019 with my own money and it still works flawlessly. I just happened to look at their blog today and saw the news on the new options for the AMP+ and DAC+ and thought I'd post the info here.)

Top Bottom