• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

half_dog

I've tried this DAC+ a few weeks back next to my smsl sanskrit 10th mkII. I'd say subjectively that the DAC+ is cleaner and doesn't emphasize midbass as much as the sanskrit 10th mkII. Therefore, without emphasis, there isn't much midbass masking of the frequencies and more audible detail. None of that "sabre glare".

So I do enjoy it!

I wonder what measurements I can look at to reveal such emphasis on the FR output of each DAC...View attachment 178571
May I ask which filter you are using on your Sanskrit? Usually people try to perceive the filter's differences at high frequencies because of its behavior in this region. But for me the little I could perceived (with a M500 and E30) is in (mid?) bass region (it seems there are people sensible enough to perceive different impulse responses in this region). Depending on the filter setting, it may bring a punchier bass - usually a more "relaxed" filter as a slow linear one. AKM has more relaxed filters where the final attenuation is around 24kHz for the fastest filter (fast linear) and this would be the most similar to the one used on Atom DAC+. So, I would recommend you to setup the SMSL filter to fast linear (I can't remember its ID number) and compare them again, maybe the differences would be mitigated. If it has been done... well, I have no clue what could bring to this =P

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are looking for an excuse to call us a liar. Enough already. You do not know what you are talking about. The issue I hear I can hear between just above background music to "enthusiastic". It is that obvious.

No. No one's calling you a liar.

Rather, this is an objectivist forum, and we recognize that ALL humans are subject to perceptual biases. Feeling that one cannot be subject to biases is itself a cognitive bias known as the blind spot bias.

If you're unfamiliar with the extent to which cognitive biases affect all of us, I recommend reading Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow. Understanding the effects of cognitive biases can be useful in one's personal and professional lives, not just in understanding how audio works.

groovybassist

Forum Donor
No. No one's calling you a liar.

Rather, this is an objectivist forum, and we recognize that ALL humans are subject to perceptual biases. Feeling that one cannot be subject to biases is itself a cognitive bias known as the blind spot bias.

If you're unfamiliar with the extent to which cognitive biases affect all of us, I recommend reading Nobel Prize winner Daniel Kahneman's Thinking Fast and Slow. Understanding the effects of cognitive biases can be useful in one's personal and professional lives, not just in understanding how audio works.
Excellent and enlightening book!

mikefc

Even a 2x change in voltage level is an incremental change in volume (all else being the same) to the listener. Probably not significant.

...so comforting to know there are people here ready to protect you - tvrgeek, from yourself and your imagined hearings. They even perform this service free of charge too.

manyaudio

Thanks for the great review, which, apart from the technical detail, is also well summarized.

I am thinking of using external DAC for piano VSTs, and have these three questions concerning this ATOM DAC+ model.

1. How much of an improvement would the model represent over DAC by an onboard sound card selling today? To make the question concrete, we might use: Realtek ALC 1220.

I believe your Web site reviewed it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/realtek-alc1220-a-look-on-pc-sound.24019/

I am sorry I am unable to infer the quality comparison from the many graphs you attach.

2. How much of an improvement over an old onboard sound card? For example: Realtek ALC 889A. This one is more than 10 years old.

Link: https://www.realtek.com/en/products/computer-peripheral-ics/item/alc898

3. If the only use I contemplate is in the digital-to-analog direction (not the reverse, no mixing), which would give me better DAC: ATOM DAC+ or MOTU M2?

You have reviewed MOTU M2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m2-review-audio-interface.19911/

For this question, I am ignoring the price difference--as if I had them both and it were only a matter of hooking up which. I realize "better" may be simplistic and there might be pros and cons on either side. If so, please tell me so.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these questions.

luft262

Thanks for the great review, which, apart from the technical detail, is also well summarized.

I am thinking of using external DAC for piano VSTs, and have these three questions concerning this ATOM DAC+ model.

1. How much of an improvement would the model represent over DAC by an onboard sound card selling today? To make the question concrete, we might use: Realtek ALC 1220.

I believe your Web site reviewed it: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/realtek-alc1220-a-look-on-pc-sound.24019/

I am sorry I am unable to infer the quality comparison from the many graphs you attach.

2. How much of an improvement over an old onboard sound card? For example: Realtek ALC 889A. This one is more than 10 years old.

Link: https://www.realtek.com/en/products/computer-peripheral-ics/item/alc898

3. If the only use I contemplate is in the digital-to-analog direction (not the reverse, no mixing), which would give me better DAC: ATOM DAC+ or MOTU M2?

You have reviewed MOTU M2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/motu-m2-review-audio-interface.19911/

For this question, I am ignoring the price difference--as if I had them both and it were only a matter of hooking up which. I realize "better" may be simplistic and there might be pros and cons on either side. If so, please tell me so.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these questions.
From what I can tell all three dacs are quite good, but the Atom+ DAC has the lowest noise and distortion and would also be located outside of the computer case, which might help avoid interference, but the audible difference between the three will probably be small. If money is tight you could probably get by with the dac on your computer sound card just fine, but if you want to pass CD quality so that the DAC is not adding audible distortion or noise, even at loud levels and when playing CD quality files or better the Atom+ DAC will get you there.

manyaudio

all three dacs are quite good
Thank you for your thoughts.

When you say "all three" I believe you're referring to Atom DAC+, MOTO M2, and the latest Realtek chip, leaving out the Realtek from 10 plus years ago?

Could I expect a major improvement when going from the 10-plus-year-old relic to Atom? Or would even that be imperceptible to human ears in ordinary situations?

luft262

Thank you for your thoughts.

When you say "all three" I believe you're referring to Atom DAC+, MOTO M2, and the latest Realtek chip, leaving out the Realtek from 10 plus years ago?

Could I expect a major improvement when going from the 10-plus-year-old relic to Atom? Or would even that be imperceptible to human ears in ordinary situations?
If you can find the SINAD for all three, preferably from a 3rd party tester and not the manufacturer then just make a table and list them. From what I understand if they are all in the upper 80's dB or better you are not very likely to hear a huge difference, although some small differences might be distinguishable for "highly skilled listeners on certain equipment, ie accurate headphones" up to about 120ish dB. Other than that it mostly comes down to price, features, looks, functionality, use case, etc.

One problem with a sound card is that it resides inside of your computer and if not shielded very well it may pick up interference from the other electronics in there so an external dac, such as the atom, could help to eliminate that problem. Plus it might be easier to plug into and manipulate than a sound card in the back of your computer, but it will also take up more desk space so in the end it depends on all of that.

Whether or not you'll hear a difference depends on the type of headphones you're using, the file types you're listening too, how quiet the room is, etc., but in general we're not talking a night and day difference in sound quality that any ole' person with a pair of free earbuds would instantly tell the difference.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Price raised to $119

Because shipping is an additional charge at JDS Labs the typical final price for the Atom DAC will be $132+

Update: I purchased the Topping D10s for $100. For $32 less you get the same SINAD score and a nice display.

Last edited:

jseaber

Audio Company
Price raised to $119

Price has been restored to $109, and we'll strive to hold this through the remainder of 2022.

The spring price bump was necessary to limit demand due to depleted component level inventory, which is finally resolving. Nevertheless, XU208 and some other costs have doubled relative to 2020. Lead times of diodes and electrolytic caps remain challenging.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Price has been restored to $109, and we'll strive to hold this through the remainder of 2022.

The spring price bump was necessary to limit demand due to depleted component level inventory, which is finally resolving. Nevertheless, XU208 and some other costs have doubled relative to 2020. Lead times of diodes and electrolytic caps remain challenging.

That's good news. Rare to see price drops in this environment.

spigot

Delighted with this unit. Up to date licensed Thesycon drivers (gives option of ASIO), new firmware with tweaks/enhancements, software control panel that shows what the DAC is outputting (useful to check the many output options in foobar). Coupled with an atom amp I'm only limited now by my HD 600's. A very relaxing combo, allows me to just enjoy the music.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I pulled the trigger and bought this JDS Labs Atom DAC+ a little while ago with a JDS Labs 6" RCA cable. I will combine it with the Schiit Magni Heresy headphone amp. I will update this thread and the Schiit Magni Heresy thread as things progress. I am looking forward to the upgrade. The ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI motherboard that I am using has a intermittent very loud static noise that drowns out any music and it comes and goes every couple of months. Apparently a BIOS update and a firmware update solve the issue but I need the extra power for driving my Sennheiser HD 598SR headphones because on low level music the volume is a bit low for my listening taste. I'll update the Canada/USA currency conversion and applicable Canada Border Services duties expense when I get the order. :D WhooHOoooo!

EDIT: 30 minutes after the sale and I have a Fedex tracking number already.

EDIT:
Total sale in USD $153.17 with the 6" RCA cables and Fedex shipping and after Canadian currency conversion the expense is CDN $204.93.
Shipping required 2 days from Collinsville Illinois to Alberta Canada.
Customs fee and taxes came to $17.59 for a grand total of $222.52 for all expenses included.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
BLASPHEMY! ATOM AMP or nothing! :D
I decided to buy from JDS Labs and Schitt because they offer excellent customer service, are local to me continent wise, are the best most simple DAC and headphone amp for what I need. I am going to put it in the dusty zone behind my monitor and never touch it after it is setup. So it is plug'n'play and forget about it. Also I want to see what the customer experience is like with both companies and I am spreading the moola around rather than all at one place.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I decided to buy from JDS Labs and Schitt because they offer excellent customer service, are local to me continent wise, are the best most simple DAC and headphone amp for what I need. I am going to put it in the dusty zone behind my monitor and never touch it after it is setup. So it is plug'n'play and forget about it. Also I want to see what the customer experience is like with both companies and I am spreading the moola around rather than all at one place.
Haven't ever had an issue with JDS Labs.
Glad to see this unit is also so good.

ITguyAR

Hmm....not showing that they have these for sale on Amazon currently. I like ordering from there because of the return policy.

TheFiend1

Hello! I just picked up this little unit. A bit of a step up compared to my on board PC Motherboard's DAC :)

I was trying to set up Foobar to use WASAPI (event) but im getting extreme stuttering and popping. It works if its in (push) mode but not event for some reason. Anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong? I also have yet to get this piped through my Dirac Live correctly as well.

foobar2000_x8odDfsEFW.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! I just picked up this little unit. A bit of a step up compared to my on board PC Motherboard's DAC :)

I was trying to set up Foobar to use WASAPI (event) but im getting extreme stuttering and popping. It works if its in (push) mode but not event for some reason. Anyone else experience this or am I doing something wrong? I also have yet to get this piped through my Dirac Live correctly as well.

View attachment 236846
Foobar uses WASAPI (shared) by default now, it might be better to just use that. I think that's "Default: Primary Sound Driver" option.

Top Bottom