• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose it is true but I'd be keen to replace my Khadas + Atom amp combo with one box of equivalent performance that can also drive my active speakers.
I think and hope this is where the market is heading. But someone will have to be very brave

gvl

Major Contributor
I think and hope this is where the market is heading. But someone will have to be very brave

Topping DX3 Pro can do that, I don't see why JDS can't compete with it at a lower price point and better performance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX3 Pro can do that, I don't see why JDS can't compete with it at a lower price point and better performance.

That was the device I mentioned a few posts back. I didnt actually realise it was now in the £160 bracket, thought it was more. Tough business!

TimW

Major Contributor
When I read about the inline power supply switch I was instantly turned off. The idea of getting this DAC for use with the Atom amp, and then having to turn on each component separately as well as the computer seems silly to me. Those who like to complain about the power supply switch being mounted on the back of Schiit gear should definitely be irritated by a cable mounted switch.

But then I checked out JDS Labs website and saw that this thing automatically powers down during inactivity. That actually makes the Atom stack a pretty compelling desktop solution in my opinion. How many people using a small $100 desktop DAC actually need anything other than USB anyway?

MRC01

Major Contributor
As an EE I'm still unhappy regarding this filter as its stop band should start at fs/2 (22.05 kHz) and not at 24 kHz (perfect for 48 kHz sample rate). Unfortunately this seems to be rather the norm nowadays - not for RME though.
I agree in principle. Yet a 24 kHz stopband seems common in the gear Amir has reviewed. I imagine because of how aliased frequencies reflect across Nyquist, with the stopband at 24 kHz, at least any HF noise that leaks past the filter will be above 20 kHz and inaudible.

That said, even though it's above 20 kHz, it could still trigger passband distortion in downstream amps or speakers through IM.

Tks

Major Contributor
Let me say it as I understood this statement: the AKM chips do not scale the filter cut-off frequency with sample rate. That is wrong. Measuring at 44.1 and 48 kHz gives two different results, in both frequency response as well as the above noise based out-of-band measurement.

I was wondering, how hard do the high-pass/low-pass PEQ settings on the DAC function? Like if I have a LP at 20kHz what does the output level look like at 20.5 or 21kHz? Or if I have a HP at 30Hz, what's the output signal looking like at 25kHz vs 20kHz for example? Looking at the Spectral Analyzer on the DAC shows a dip, but I can't tell how much, it seems relatively "gentle". If I set a -5db pure 63Hz signal, and I set the HP to 126Hz with a 1 Q-Factor, the 63Hz signal based on the analyzer dips to around -19dB or so.

I was wondering if it could be made more "brick-wall"-ish through firmware perhaps?

D

Deleted member 4360

They already do this upon request - it was mentioned in the press release. Pretty cool!
This is why JDS is the company to buy product from. Plus, which very few people mention, the warranty. Try getting support from Topping. Not going to happen. I had a D50 with a faulty toggle - returned it to Massdrop. Been with JDS since. I now have moved to an Element II and it's great with my Audeze cans. Email John and you'll get a reply that you'll understand. I'm not a flag waving guy but I pretty much only buy American products which isn't easy all the time. However, with JDS (to me), it's an easy decision. Shit, I would buy Shiit over Topping as at least I'll get good, albeit, sarcastic and rude support but at least I'll get the support...

Last edited by a moderator:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wow that's better than their own published spec!!

Labjr

Major Contributor
Seems like the problem with Chi-fi is the first buyers of a product are the beta testers.

Guermantes

gvl

Major Contributor
Try getting support from Topping

I got excellent support from Topping, they fixed a faulty DAC at no charge and I wasn't even the original owner, I was out $22 for shipping the mainboard from the USA and wait time, so yes that's there. Support was a bit slow to respond but communication was good. I understand if you go with Apos they will help you out for a faster turnaround. Sure, it is easier with JDS but it is unfair to bash Topping for no reason.

Last edited:

AndrewDavis

Business idea for JDS Labs - sell an optional weigh down kit for the Atom series, a 5mm metal plate that attaches to the inside of the top cover. These things are way too light.

Steel washers and bluetack is the answer here.

DeadmAn

i compared side by side with Khadas tone board. they are pretty much identical.
however, the sample rate of Atom DAC is PCM up to 384khz while KTB has it up to 768khz
anybody knows why?

Molasses

It's a nice DAC at a great price, but I was kinda hoping they'd revolutionise budget DACs like they did with budget amps

Last edited:

ZgSTar

I would buy this to pair with the Atom if it wasn't much more expensive in Europe but... Those two fat power supply and that rca cable really make this ugly and clutter your space.
Considering how little power the dac requires it would have been great to have a Y cable for the Atom power and a flat bridge for the rca. Too bad that you can't DIY because of the Atom Ps being AC and not DC else a simple 7805 in the Y adapter would have done the trick.

Illtrick

Seems like the problem with Chi-fi is the first buyers of a product are the beta testers.
The relationship isn’t US vs China, it’s where the company is in its lifecycle and it’s tolerance to risk. The younger the company the less tools and processes they have setup for testing in both design phase and production. The more mature the company the greater processes are in place to specify and measure quality. The higher threshold a company has for risk the more likely they are to use their V1 releases as betas to collect data that would otherwise take much longer to collect. Many of the Ch-Fi brands are (relatively speaking) rather young and in my experience are rapid iterators so taking the risk of moving too fast often yields greater success in the end.

Top Bottom