• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's just zeos, can't understand how he speaks 30-40 minutes about so very little. Like HOW.

I get it when there is some new kind of tech involved, new form factor or something that has many settings, degrees of compatibility with other kit, but yes, that's a 5 min review. Inputs, functionality, no audible issues, how it stacks. Done.

Veri

Master Contributor
I get it when there is some new kind of tech involved, new form factor or something that has many settings, degrees of compatibility with other kit, but yes, that's a 5 min review. Inputs, functionality, no audible issues, how it stacks. Done.
To be fair the Atom DAC review is 7 minutes apparently? That must some kind of record, for him :D

KPH

That's just zeos, can't understand how he speaks 30-40 minutes about so very little. Like HOW.
I did not like his go pro style at first, but once I got used to it I enjoy watching his long videos and listening to him talk about various things.

despoiler

He is just a stream of consciousness. More entertainment than substance. Personally I can't get into his style nor do I find he has enough skill or knowledge to add to a discussion. I seriously want to know what "sounds like a budget DAC" even means. We know the Atom DAC outperforms far more devices at any price point than it does not.

magicscreen

Can be it a sound quality loss if there is an SMPS in the same power strip as the adapter of Atom?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can be it a sound quality loss if there is an SMPS in the same power strip as the adapter of Atom?
Seriously, where is all this talk about linear /switching power coming from?? Please, someone tell me

Error415

I like my Atom Amp, and this one isn't too bad either based on performance alone.
It's just not competitive on features. Only USB in, no controls at all (no volume control [stacked with the the Atom amp and its analog control that's not ideal with low impedance haedphones], no display, no remote) ... just nothing.
Also the same mediocre plastic case and bulky transformer.
They are building down to a price, but for me as a consumer, that still just doesn't cut it compared to the chinese competition.

You have issues if you pass on this excellent performing DAC because it lacks a screen or a metal case.

3125b

Major Contributor
There are other options that fit my (any many other peoples) bill better at a similar price point. The problem lies not with performance.

Guetta

In terms of raw performance and measurements is JDS Atom DAC better than Khadas Tone Board?

magicscreen

You have issues if you pass on this excellent performing DAC because it lacks a screen or a metal case.
Yes, the screen is unimportant and might ruin the sound quality. The bulky transformer is a must for a good linear power supply.
But the plastic case is an engineering failure.

magicscreen

Huh, I disagree with every one of those statements.
External transformer is a good idea.
I wrote these for the audiophile, ultimate sound quality point of view.
For a simple consumer the screen is great (I love the digital volume control of the Loxjie P20), the external bulky transformer annoying, the plastic case looks like a cheap plastic toy.

bboris77

Here are my thoughts on the Atom Dac after a few weeks of owning it.

I have to say that the original Atom Amp plastic build was a bit of a turn-off, but it was mainly because of the small plastic volume knob and the fact that the unit was too light and would move when adjusting the volume. I would suggest JDS simply install a deeper volume knob with some texture to improve traction and put additional weights in the amp by default.

In respect of the Atom DAC though, I have absolutely no objection about the plastic casing. In fact, out of all the DACs that I have owned, which includes the Topping D50s, D70B, Schiit Modi 3 and Bifrost 2, the Atom DAC has been the most RFI-resistant of them all. I live very close to a commercial airport as well as a military radar site, and a lot of my equipment picks up a specific radar blip, which the Atom DAC completely rejects. So, proper engineering triumphs over brute force and metal shielding.

Moreover, the Atom DAC is set-and-forget type of deal as it does not have any buttons, so it does not matter whether the casing is light or heavy.
I do think that there is a bit of unfair bias against plastic casework in this hobby - can you imagine video gamers insisting that the PS5 had a metal case? ;)

I actually have nothing against high quality textured plastic because I find it to be more scratch resistant than brushed aluminum cases and does not dent or mark as easily. Plus, the finish tends to be very uniform under all kinds of lighting.

In terms of the sound, it is simply fantastic, clear and transparent. The noise floor is extremely low and there is not even a hint of EMI or RFI even at extreme volume settings. Channel balance (measured with my multimeter) is within 0.03dB, which is great. No weird glitches to report in terms of having to restart the unit over the last two weeks. My D70 would lock up at least once a month when streaming Tidal, having to restart the unit.

The short USB cable provided is great quality as well with an installed ferrite bead to further reduce interference. Usually I discard the provided accessories because they are garbage quality, but not in this case.

JDS customer support is legendary and they are willing to customize the firmware of the unit for specific customer needs - for example, if the PS5 and the XBOX X end up only supporting the UAC1 protocol, JDS has provided a firmware that would enable us to downgrade from UAC2 to UAC1, although it is a one-way upgrade (there is no way to go back to the UAC2).

The only suggestion for improvement that I have would be to turn down the intensity of the LED ring by 50% as I generally prefer very subtle signal LEDs. Nothing that a Light Dim cannot fix though. JDS actually offered to install a resistor in front of this LED before shipping the unit to me to reduce the light intensity for no extra charge, so it is worth asking them.

It certainly is not the cheapest possible DAC, and it does not have the most features, but it does what it does flawlessly. It's a case of substance over style and understatement over flash. After a few years in this hobby, these are the qualities that I have come to appreciate.

PuX

for example, if the PS5 and the XBOX X end up only supporting the UAC1 protocol, JDS has provided a firmware that would enable us to downgrade from UAC2 to UAC1, although it is a one-way upgrade (there is no way to go back to the UAC2).
there is an easier way if your DAC has an optical/coax input - you may have optical/coax out on your TV, connect it from TV to DAC.

Last edited:

bboris77

there is an easier if your DAC has an optical/coax input - you may have optical/coax out on your TV, connect it from TV to DAC.
I am using my PS4 with a 4K monitor that does not have an optical out. It only has a headphone 3.5mm jack which I connect directly to my speaker amplifier. There is a DAC inside the monitor that does a conversion from HDMI to analog audio. It is probably not the best measuring and it has a high noise floor, but it is a temporary solution until we figure out what kind of USB audio support the PS5 will have.

PuX

I am using my PS4 with a 4K monitor that does not have an optical out. It only has a headphone 3.5mm jack which I connect directly to my speaker amplifier. There is a DAC inside the monitor that does a conversion from HDMI to analog audio. It is probably not the best measuring and it has a high noise floor, but it is a temporary solution until we figure out what kind of USB audio support the PS5 will have.
sure, it's a valid option if you don't have an SPDIF out.

I did the same on my old TV, but like you said, internal TV/monitor DACs have lower quality than any good external DAC.

Error415

There are other options that fit my (any many other peoples) bill better at a similar price point. The problem lies not with performance.

So you're buying a item based on its looks and not it's performance which is retarded. I'd rather buy a ugly American made product with zero issues than some Chinese product that's great looking but has problems out the ass and zero customer service.

Top Bottom