• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
somehow not hearing from anybody regarding what this unit adds or does not add to the performance - and experience thereof - the Atom amp..

not many here committed to the purchase yet due to the numbers favoring the topping e30 and subjective impressions of what it "could add" to the atom are highly discouraged. :)

Wow, this looks amazing. I'm seriously thinking about doing the atom amp/atom dac stamp. According to OP, both measure neutral.

My goal is fidelity, transparency, and neutrality. Should I go with this stack?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. :) I appreciate your response.
It's essentially the latest-gen of nwavguy's "Objective" stack. Enjoy! And if you find Atom flimsy in any way, I recommend switching the volume knob to a bigger one, plenty of people on the board here have done just that.

It's essentially the latest-gen of nwavguy's "Objective" stack. Enjoy! And if you find Atom flimsy in any way, I recommend switching the volume knob to a bigger one, plenty of people on the board here have done just that.

Oh yeah, I was highly inclined to acquire that years ago. However, I read it often had clipping issues, and JDS suggested lowering your computer's volume anywhere from 97-99%. As a fidelity freak, and as a matter of principle, I declined to purchase the O2/ODAC.

Does the atom stack have the same and/or similar issues?

Theriverlethe

Oh yeah, I was highly inclined to acquire that years ago. However, I read it often had clipping issues, and JDS suggested lowering your computer's volume anywhere from 97-99%. As a fidelity freak, and as a matter of principle, I declined to purchase the O2/ODAC.

Does the atom stack have the same and/or similar issues?

Wasn’t that fixed with rev.B and the PCM5102a?

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

despoiler

I'm not seeing the pads on the PCB for a filter selector switch like you find on the OL DAC. Can anyone confirm if it's possible to change the filter? I'm not a fan of brickwall filters for playback.

Last edited:

Warbles

Hello again. Might I be correct in assuming that because the DA3 is not a pure DAC but a DAC/amp combo, that 'double amping' is occurring when I connect it to my Atom? Resulting in deleterious effects on sound quality?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello again. Might I be correct in assuming that because the DA3 is not a pure DAC but a DAC/amp combo, that 'double amping' is occurring when I connect it to my Atom? Resulting in deleterious effects on sound quality?
No not necessarily, if the DA3 has a line-out it's perfectly fine to use it that way.

KPH

I am still waiting and would like to hear from other reviewers. Watching it again, he does not explain much or compare the dac to other dacs but maybe that kind of is the explanation. Guess it is good for the price but not significantly good, but it makes a perfect stack which would be good for a low budget setup. I wonder if there is going to be a atom dac amp coming.

Top Bottom