• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC Review

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Honestly I cannot understand this level matching bullshit.
So his laptop audio is louder that's why it sounds better?
So a 8ban record player will sound better than a Stradivari violin if the 8ban is playing louder?
This is the most ignorant audiofool bullshitting ever.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/spl-vs-sq.14010/page-2#post-427588
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-ear-or-measurement.13696/page-23#post-427994

Keep your aggression in check.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So who has actually bought it and compared it to previous dacs?

D

Deleted member 4360

I agree. It is nice.

Always thought JDS Labs should offer a case like that for the Atom as a special order upgrade when buying one. I'd have paid an extra 50 bucks for that and the same dial style but in black metal.
As you know, they do have it... albeit at a higher price in the form of the El series although a metal Atom option would be cool somewhat splitting the difference. That's the thing... I only need the performance of this level product... anything higher I wouldn't hear any difference... front row tickets to Robin Trower and Rush made sure of that!

dragonka79

Thank you for the review and the comments.
Seems to be a good choice pairing with the Atom as my first DAC+AMP.
I just want to use it with my old eee, no speakers, only headphone. Like the minimalist design: USB in only, plastic case, no remote, no screen, no other fancy stuff, just what I strictly need.

Veri

Master Contributor
Would this be better suited for the atom AMP, or is the KTB better, or is there something else that's better than both?
If you only need an USB DAC then this Atom DAC is a fine choice imo. Atom DAC has a nice enclosure and no IMD problems like KTB. You get the added benefit of ordering from a US company that responds really quickly to support questions. John at JDS responded to my e-mails usually in less than 15 minutes which is unheard of :p

confucius_zero

confucius_zero

confucius_zero

D

Deleted member 4360

confucius_zero

he had better results with a powerbank or something between those lines.
exactly

so if e30 only works properly with powerbank but atom-dac and sk10ii don't require "powerbanking" to work, wouldn't that make the e30 less practical?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
exactly

so if e30 only works properly with powerbank but atom-dac and sk10ii don't require "powerbanking" to work, wouldn't that make the e30 less practical?

That's not what they said. They said someone had a noisy psu/USB and had better results with a power bank.

Implying not an e30 issue, but one upstream. Don't partially quote to support a point when the full text contradicts.

fieldcar

Im looking to buy my first amp and maybe a dac but this one doesnt look interesting. If dongle can give similar result but is smaller and cheaper, I might go that route.
Im thinking of getting L30 and plug that into my PC and if it sounds bad then maybe get a dongle to plug into amp.
I would avoid a dongle feeding something like the L30. I tried to run my atom off of an apple and Meizu hifi pro dongle, and I got considerable noise from the computer and nearby electronics. Maybe an interconnect issue, but probably the lack of proper shielding on the wire to the 3.5 connector. The dongles work great on my phone and laptop though. Meanwhile, the d10, d50s, and HUD100 are perfectly clean for desktop use. I didn't use the hud100 as a DAC though. It's perfectly capable of driving planars.

Warbles

Damn, I realise this is Audio Science Review, but it's still just downright weird somehow not hearing from anybody regarding what this unit adds or does not add to the performance - and experience thereof - the Atom amp..

Just sayin' !!

Top Bottom