• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom amp - volume knob light not turning off ..anyone notice this?

magicscreen

@restorer-john - Yes, that is the v1.00 production board. Your synopsis is correct. I've attached relevant portions of the AC/DC stage if you want to take a look (part #s and other circuitry omitted).

By the way, the same relay contact placement has been used for years now in Element, except with a latching relay. The separate reset coil must provide more release drive than the non-latching counterpart.

Edit (May 9, 2019): I believe this quirk has been mitigated through a simple BOM change (different 1uF caps; no change in performance). As there are thousands of Atom Amps in the wild and more in inventory, it will take time to push the change and verify through observation.
This is the problem with the Jds Labs Atom. It has no proper filtering only regulation. That is not enough if you have a noisy mains.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@magicscreen - Did you intend to reply to someone else? Note sure I follow.
I got a nostalgia rush when this thread came up again. Took me back to the moment I that I first used my beloved Atom HPA (obviously there was no need to add "HPA" at that time) and the thing wouldn't turn off. Was extremely grateful for @jseaber's comments on this thread as they helped me understand what was going on!

Just thought I'd add in a huge thank you. Great to see the L30 and A50s from Topping, but I really love my Atom. Thanks John.

Top Bottom