• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Atom Amp+ Review (Headphone Amplifier)

ALex_hha

With the JDS Atom DAC+ and Amp+ we have another option with different aesthetics, close performance, made in the USA for only $200. That's pretty incredible.
give me remote and I would pay even 300$ for the stack

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you, I will get IEMagni then!

I would NOT, it has serious flaw when driving low impedance headphone on high gain with rising distortion, and if you stick to med gain it has a lot less power than anything mentioned in this thread.

Edit: my point is it has a clear flaw, no point in getting it when other units are competitive with no such clear flaws.

carlosfjezus

I would NOT, it has serious flaw when driving low impedance headphone on high gain with rising distortion, and if you stick to med gain it has a lot less power than anything mentioned in this thread.

Edit: my point is it has a clear flaw, no point in getting it when other units are competitive with no such clear flaws.

And what about Heresy?

AlexF

My advice is to stay away from replying to those biased person who's clearly trying to provoke you.
I hope John don’t take this advice - newbies (myself) rely on experts correcting inaccuracies.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
JDS will ship it to you if you ask. I bought mine directly from JDS..and to Norway, Even with added freight and VAT it is A good buy…
How much did you pay at the end?Are you paying EU customs in Norway?

bahamot

JDS will ship it to you if you ask. I bought mine directly from JDS..and to Norway, Even with added freight and VAT it is A good buy…
I know, I bought their ODAC years ago. But now I don't think I want to deal with import and international warranty.

MCH

Major Contributor
A bit off topic but I guess interesting for anyone wanting to buy from JDS:
Anyone in EU knows how the new import rules (from July 1st) work?
I see in JDS website if I try to buy this Amp that JDS collects the VAT for my country at check-out. If I understand well the new norms, as they collect the VAT in origin and the value is less than 150euros, there should NOT be any customs fee upon arrival to EU. But I am not an expert so I am not sure....

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the only downside to the jds is the plastic casing, does it still have the same case also it's better than topping e30 why ? you ask, it doesn't sacrifice power for super clean signal while you can get the same cleanness with the high pass input filter on the jds now you get better power efficiency with high impedance headphone compared to the topping which sacrifice gain for cleanness which you can barely add gain to a high impedance headphone and incredible channel balance with very good power performance to drive most headphone without a problem and also with safety capacitor in the circuit to prevent from blowning up you headphone compared to the topping l30 and old shitt stuff and if shiit audio can fix the channel imbalance and bad headphone impedence problem and add a high pass filter it would probably beat out the jds but the jds win every ground without sacrificing any big factors.
Wow-you wrote an entire paragraph w/ only one punctuation-very impressive. Try a period every once in awhile:p

Weebster

Wow-you wrote an entire paragraph w/ only one punctuation-very impressive. Try a period every once in awhile:p
Yeah. I tried three times to make it through that statement/paragraph/run on sentence and couldn't do it.:( I have 5 and 6 year old girls to whom I am very much stressing the importance of punctuation and how it changes what you are saying.

Weebster

I have had excellent experiences in dealing with JDS. Their customer service is quick to respond. Their information is complete, factual, and up-front. Their products are well made and simple. Topping stuff seems really good as well, and I do appreciate it if incorrect information is given (even... or especially in a thread about a competing product) that the manufacturer corrects it. Hopefully they are able to do so in a calm and considered approach that actually uses verifiable facts. I have no use for s*** slinging.

jams3223

I
"Power current protection"
What's that? If you are thinking fuses, no it won't work. It needs DC protection that detects DC component from the headphone output. DC protection was implemented since the beginning but due to some threshold, component issue it wasn't working.

Certainly the issue was blown out of proportion. Yet full recall was issued. The actual number of burnt headphones we hear is very small. And people who contacted us got compensation for it.

"they keep on changing the component since topping is a experimental Chinese company that works based on customers review"
?? Totally not true. And don't know where did you get it from.
Yes dc protection also if it 2 years ago I would’ve pick topping but atom is at the place where it should be now only downside is build quality also the company is a audiofile brand made by engineers who started making high circuits so I think they were in the experimental phase in everything there is some caviat but you need to make sure that nothing outweighs another so balance is key to keep it at a budget price.

Top Bottom