• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Synthesis SCL-6 In-Wall Speaker Review (by Erin)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand and agree with your point. I was just pointing out that it is still a good center channel when oriented vertically.
But that is not the point. Why do you think it is such a narrow speaker? JBL has many other models that are not as narrow and they are suitable for behind screen use. This model is specifically designed to be positioned around a screen.

jaydillyo

I wasn't aware of that. Do you have a reference that you can link to or is this just common knowledge for skinny speakers?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't aware of that. Do you have a reference that you can link to or is this just common knowledge for skinny speakers?
Aware of what?

jaydillyo

But that is not the point. Why do you think it is such a narrow speaker? JBL has many other models that are not as narrow and they are suitable for behind screen use. This model is specifically designed to be positioned around a screen.
I wasn't aware that this speakers was specifically designed for positioning around a screen. I understand that it could be used for this, but as we have been discussing the measurements indicate that it really isn't well designed for being placed horizontally.

The measurements make it seem like it was designed to be placed vertically and horizontal placement is an afterthought, if that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't aware that this speakers was specifically designed for positioning around a screen. I understand that it could be used for this, but as we have been discussing the measurements indicate that it really isn't well designed for being placed horizontally.

The measurements make it seem like it was designed to be placed vertically and horizontal placement is an afterthought, if that.
Please read my post #16. It is an in-wall speaker, not to be used behind a screen.

jaydillyo

Yes, I read it and I see here JBL says it can be used horizontally. We are in agreement that it is terrible for this purpose, which indicates to me that it wasn't designed for horizontal use, but it "can be used" for it. I'm pretty sure we've beaten this to death now. Where's the dead horse emoji when you need one?

Descartes

Major Contributor
So not worth it as a center channel!
I wonder how the in walls from
KEF’s are?

mainframe

What about as a centre speaker though? It is very narrow at +/-10 degrees at the most important human voice range! There is almost 10dB difference between 500Hz and 2kHz for people sitting outside the sweet windows. Not fit as a centre speaker in my book and ear.

I tried these speakers but got rid of them for that reason.
Correct, I wouldnt use them as a center placed longways/horizontally.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It is an in-wall speaker, not to be used behind a screen.

200w.gif

An Nguyen, the man who designed the speaker, begs to differ. (quoted from my review)

Erin: With the constant directivity, the estimated in-room response flattens out which typically results in a “bright” sound, based on my experience. I was wondering if this is part of the design because the assumed use for these will be behind an acoustically transparent screen? (still, I know that the response can be EQ’d thanks to the flat DI)
An Nguyen: The SCL6 is designed for mostly home theater applications & operating behind the screen is also taken in consideration. As you mentioned, the SCL6 is very EQ-able, so the installer could use room EQ to achieve a desired in-room target curve with all things taken in consideration.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't get what makes a speaker suitable for use behind a screen either.

it's the screen that is distorting the highest octave, the speaker has nothing to do with it.

mainframe

Please read my post #16. It is an in-wall speaker, not to be used behind a screen.
A TV screen, definitely not. A projector screen, why not?

In fact, if I were hanging a projector screen, an in wall is the ONLY speaker I would use, then the projector screen could be on the wall too. And it could be installed vertically up/down, the best way for dispersion

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Re: Use and why someone would care about in-wall speakers. Here's my personal take.

I have a decent sized bonus room above my garage that I made into a home theater. Video below, if you are interested. As part of the project, I built out a false wall about 3 feet off the front wall and I placed JBL Pro speakers into the wall, then used my miniDSP to design the speaker network (baffle step, EQ, crossover). I use an acoustically transparent screen over the speakers and covered the entire wall in wedge foam and black grille cloth. The one thing I love about this setup is that you walk in and you don't see speakers. Not to mention I have identical L/C/R. But, honestly, the fact that there are no speakers visible - sitting to the side or below the screen - is my absolute favorite part. Something about not seeing the speakers puts the experience on a higher level. Psychoacoustics can be fun. ;)

I'm approaching the 5 year mark with this setup and I've been considering changing things up for a variety of reasons (none of which matter in the context of this thread so I won't get into it here). One thing is I would like to get "back" that 3 feet of wall space. I could rebuild the baffle wall to be more shallow but a good set of in-wall speakers just makes more sense to me for various reasons. So, that's why I'm strongly considering them as an option.

The thing is, I naturally worry about giving up performance ... coming from a DIY 15-inch woofer and 2-inch compression driver/horn with a rated sensitivity ~100dB @ 1w/1m... Well, I don't want to just put "any old" in-wall speaker in to replace that. I know I'll give some things up so I'd like to minimize the compromise as best I can. That's why I was interested, specifically, in the JBL Synthesis lineup. After reaching out to Audio Advice and working out a loaner system through them, this was the very first thing I asked to borrow. And that's how we got to this review.

Having now seen these results I can safely say the SCL-6 is a superb in-wall speaker and one that is worthy of anyone's consideration. The ERDI is incredibly smooth. The output capability seems quite good and, when coupled with a subwoofer (as one would do for a home theater), should be adequate. Though, I will continue to look at other options just to make sure I cover my bases. I don't know if I will actually change things or not. Time and money are of limited availability for me at this point in my life; especially with all the reviews I generate and the money I spend acquiring gear to test and on materials, Klippel costs, etc. But for me to feel confident with any move toward an overhaul, I have to have the data to make an educated decision. That's what I'm working toward.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been considering going in wall with an AT screen for LCR (vertically). It is actually a good option for such a setup it seems. Horizontally, not a good option which is why measurements like this are so valuable. And at its price, is surprisingly, relatively affordable option.

Descartes

Major Contributor
….The one thing I love about this setup is that you walk in and you don't see speakers. Not to mention I have identical L/C/R. But, honestly, the fact that there are no speakers visible - sitting to the side or below the screen - is my absolute favorite part. Something about not seeing the speakers puts the experience on a higher level. Psychoacoustics can be fun. ;)

I'm approaching the 5 year mark with this setup and I've been considering changing things up for a variety of reasons (none of which matter in the context of this thread so I won't get into it here). One thing is I would like to get "back" that 3 feet of wall space. I could rebuild the baffle wall to be more shallow but a good set of in-wall speakers just makes more sense to me for various reasons. So, that's why I'm strongly considering them as an option.

….Having now seen these results I can safely say the SCL-6 is a superb in-wall speaker and one that is worthy of anyone's consideration…. Time and money are of limited availability for me …That's what I'm working toward.

Thank you so much for all your reviews, I greatly appreciate all the work you put into your reviews! I wonder if you could test the in wall speakers from KEF

es09

Now that Erin has reviewed the KEF-3160rl's here - https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_ci3160rl-thx/ I am curious what this forum thinks about how SCL-6 holds up compared to the KEFs.

Other than the fact that the SCL-6's are not suitable as center channel (when placed horizontally), it seems to me that the response curve is flatter than the KEFs.

I am in the market for some in-wall speakers now and in a place where I can't audition either of these. I will appreciate any insight into how the SCL-6s fare objectively compared to the KEFs!

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Other than the fact that the SCL-6's are not suitable as center channel (when placed horizontally)
When you place the SCL-6 speaker upright...like it's meant to be mounted....Vertical directivity is (-20.0°, 20.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.
Yes, when you position it horizontally, this vertical directivity becomes the horizontal directivity.
So depending on how far you sit and your position, it might not an issue.

At the same time, the SCL-6 speakers are meant to be mounted upright....that's L-C-R...meant to go behind an acoustically transparent screen, of course.

Obviously, Kef KEF-3160rl-thx are much better in that regard due to coaxial nature.
Horizontal directivity is (-50.0°, 50.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.
Vertical directivity is (-50.0°, 50.0°) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.

es09

Thanks for breaking down the polarity graph, sweetchaos!

How do you think the response curves compare for the SCL-6 and the KEF 3160? To my eye, it looks like the SCL-6 looks flatter with the directivity index also smoother. But I can't tell why having a smoother DI is better.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Wonder how these will measure KEF Ci250RRM-THX!

Top Bottom