• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Synthesis SCL-6 In-Wall Speaker Review (by Erin)

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Wonder how these will measure KEF Ci250RRM-THX!
Thanks for the link. It looks like Kef *started* to update their in-ceiling to include the Meta material. Awesome!!

As Kef has said in the past…”they’re going all in with Meta material”. Meaning we can expect their entire lineup to be upgraded at some point. Great to see them starting to update their architectural series. :cool:

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
How do you think the response curves compare for the SCL-6 and the KEF 3160? To my eye, it looks like the SCL-6 looks flatter with the directivity index also smoother. But I can't tell why having a smoother DI is better.
I think both speakers are considered end-game and that’s why I recommend both on my ‘passive speaker’ thread.

Take a look at Pierre’s GitHub to closely compare both models.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I think both speakers are considered end-game and that’s why I recommend both on my ‘passive speaker’ thread.

Take a look at Pierre’s GitHub to closely compare both models.
Link please
Re: Use and why someone would care about in-wall speakers. Here's my personal take.

I have a decent sized bonus room above my garage that I made into a home theater. Video below, if you are interested. As part of the project, I built out a false wall about 3 feet off the front wall and I placed JBL Pro speakers into the wall, then used my miniDSP to design the speaker network (baffle step, EQ, crossover). I use an acoustically transparent screen over the speakers and covered the entire wall in wedge foam and black grille cloth. The one thing I love about this setup is that you walk in and you don't see speakers. Not to mention I have identical L/C/R. But, honestly, the fact that there are no speakers visible - sitting to the side or below the screen - is my absolute favorite part. Something about not seeing the speakers puts the experience on a higher level. Psychoacoustics can be fun. ;)

I'm approaching the 5 year mark with this setup and I've been considering changing things up for a variety of reasons (none of which matter in the context of this thread so I won't get into it here). One thing is I would like to get "back" that 3 feet of wall space. I could rebuild the baffle wall to be more shallow but a good set of in-wall speakers just makes more sense to me for various reasons. So, that's why I'm strongly considering them as an option.

The thing is, I naturally worry about giving up performance ... coming from a DIY 15-inch woofer and 2-inch compression driver/horn with a rated sensitivity ~100dB @ 1w/1m... Well, I don't want to just put "any old" in-wall speaker in to replace that. I know I'll give some things up so I'd like to minimize the compromise as best I can. That's why I was interested, specifically, in the JBL Synthesis lineup. After reaching out to Audio Advice and working out a loaner system through them, this was the very first thing I asked to borrow. And that's how we got to this review.

Having now seen these results I can safely say the SCL-6 is a superb in-wall speaker and one that is worthy of anyone's consideration. The ERDI is incredibly smooth. The output capability seems quite good and, when coupled with a subwoofer (as one would do for a home theater), should be adequate. Though, I will continue to look at other options just to make sure I cover my bases. I don't know if I will actually change things or not. Time and money are of limited availability for me at this point in my life; especially with all the reviews I generate and the money I spend acquiring gear to test and on materials, Klippel costs, etc. But for me to feel confident with any move toward an overhaul, I have to have the data to make an educated decision. That's what I'm working toward.
First my heart goes out to you and hope that you’re doing better! I was wondering if you thought the KEF in Wall THX speakers would work well with a very large 97” flat panel TV?

Descartes

Major Contributor
Thanks for the link. It looks like Kef *started* to update their in-ceiling to include the Meta material. Awesome!!

As Kef has said in the past…”they’re going all in with Meta material”. Meaning we can expect their entire lineup to be upgraded at some point. Great to see them starting to update their architectural series. :cool:
Using these all around could be cool!

Olli

Forum Donor
Having now seen these results I can safely say the SCL-6 is a superb in-wall speaker and one that is worthy of anyone's consideration. The ERDI is incredibly smooth. The output capability seems quite good and, when coupled with a subwoofer (as one would do for a home theater), should be adequate. Though, I will continue to look at other options just to make sure I cover my bases. I don't know if I will actually change things or not. Time and money are of limited availability for me at this point in my life; especially with all the reviews I generate and the money I spend acquiring gear to test and on materials, Klippel costs, etc. But for me to feel confident with any move toward an overhaul, I have to have the data to make an educated decision. That's what I'm working toward.
Erin, great review.

Since you have also reviewed the Revel 553L - is that a good mix and match?

I have a SCL-3 as center and want to get SCL-6‘s as LR. I am wondering now if it is worth getting SCL-7s (or even SCL-6s as well) as Surrounds. My Back surrounds are 705is.

The 553L would be a cheaper alternative for the surrounds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom