• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Synthesis SCL-1 and SSW -1

Valentin R

JBL announced to complement loudspeaker for its SCL. Line

The SCL-1. A dual 12” with D2 (m2) compresión driver
And the ssw-1 dual 15” subwoofers
4E14E69A-B6E1-4BED-817E-5CE1C195C3C7.jpeg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I read this far:

1610040629222.png

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren't these mostly for installed sound--something you'd order for your custom built home cinema? I don't know how the Synthesis line works, but I was under the impression they are not 'off the shelf' items you pick up in a big box store or order direct. Rather, your builder gets together with your installer and works something out. If that's the case, then the customer is looking at a complete installation cost, and not something priced a la carte.

For the upscale home theater buyer what's price, anyhow?

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wowzers... And I just got some M2s.
The M2 is probably a better fit for home use, as a floorstander speaker: the SCL-1 requires to be raised for the horn to be at ear level, and that will demand some heavy duty mounting solution...

I am very curious as to what that "patented Complementary Bass Alignment System (C-BAS)" consists of. Maybe something similar to what Greg Timbers did in the S9500?... (or was it the M9500? I think they called it a "Staggered Tuned" alignment, with different volumes and port tuning).

I am also curious to know if this is a real MTM system or a 2.5-way one. I cannot see that horn combo going much lower than 750Hz (as in the M2), which is still quite high for a MTM with this kind of C-C distance. I guess it is doable though: after all they managed to make the DMS-1 work!

Last edited:
OP
V

Valentin R

The M2 is probably a better fit for home use, as a floorstander speaker: the SCL-1 requires to be raised for the horn to be at ear level, and that will demand some heavy duty mounting solution...

I am very curious as to what that "patented Complementary Bass Alignment System (C-BAS)" consists of. Maybe something similar to what Greg Timbers did in the S9500?... (or was it the M9500? I think they called it a "Staggered Tuned" alignment, with different volumes and port tuning).

I am also curious to know if this is a real MTM system or a 2.5-way one. I cannot see that horn combo going much lower than 750Hz (as in the M2), which is still quite high for a MTM with this kind of C-C distance. I guess it is doable though: after all they managed to make the DMS-1 work!
Very good questions
Their must be a reason for chewing in the horn with the woofers

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their must be a reason for chewing in the horn with the woofers

Are you referencing the baffle geometry, with the two drivers snug against the horn? I'm reminded of JBL's Drew Daniels' plans for his home brewed speaker:

There are some tricks that are essential for eliminating horn "honk." The first is to use the cone driver placed just below the horn, all the way up to a frequency where it begins to "beam" due to the relationship of sound wavelength and cone diameter. At a frequency where the resulting Q-factor (directivity) of the cone matches that of the horn, the transition from cone to horn will be smooth, and not abrupt-as it can be in systems where the cone is too large and the horn is too small. If this condition is met, and the frequency response of the cone is good well beyond the frequency up to which it is used (a well-behaved upper end rolloff), then the horn will enjoy a seamless transition from the cone and will not honk, assuming its frequency response is good and uniform over its output angle.

I experimented with a dozen midrange drivers before I was confident that the 2123H with its high efficiency and limited excursion linearity would produce sufficiently low distortion. It is a wonderfully transparent driver and a large part of the reason this speaker system sounds like listening to live music rather than loudspeakers.

The driver is mounted on the baffle as close to the horn as I could get it with my inexpensive mid chamber geometry. You could do better if you are willing to cut the shape of the mid driver's frame into the lower lip of the horn and snug the mid frame up into the cutout and, of course, figure out a mid chamber arrangement that would clear the horn and driver behind the baffle...

Blackdevil77

These are probably gonna be awesome. The price is the only part that sucks, but who knows. Maybe the street price will be a lot less. Curious how the SCL-1 compares to the mighty M2

807Recordings

Interesting how close the wave guides look to my SVA-2100s. Yes I know there is vastly differences in drivers, and construction.
Also funny how people are already crying about prices yet think nothing of spending the same or more on other poorly tested audiophile brands that cost more than most decently sized houses that are questionable in performance (not bling).

I could imagine (dream) of a well designed studio with these soffit mounted.

In regards to the wave guide (horn) in another forum there was a discussion on how even in the 1950s they had a pretty good understanding of this technology. The math is the same so how much has changed there? Yes measurements and drivers have greatly improved.

Top Bottom