• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Synthesis AVR and Processor with Dirac

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
SDP-55 Surround Sound Processor, SDR-35 16-Channel AVR:

Sadly it is out there as far as delivery: Q1, 2020.

SDR-35 is $7,500 and SDP-55 is $6,000. So not cheap.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
SDR-35 is $7,500 and SDP-55 is $6,000. So not cheap.
SDP-55 same as Nad M17, not outer space money like the Trinnov Thank God

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Beginning to look like the $5-7k range is the sweet spot pricing range for the real world pre/pro's
Which would be acceptable if it bought a box that measured close to SOTA.
There's a lot of hardware and software to include in these guys and I can understand why it might cost that much to bring one to market.
Still hoping for that ASR Class A recommended AVP to come along. LOL

Crane

Forum Donor
Yea quite a few in the AV scene coming out this quarter. I believe these JBL are using the ESS9028 pro though.

speedy

Forum Donor
Beginning to look like the $5-7k range is the sweet spot pricing range for the real world pre/pro's
Which would be acceptable if it bought a box that measured close to SOTA.
There's a lot of hardware and software to include in these guys and I can understand why it might cost that much to bring one to market.
Still hoping for that ASR Class A recommended AVP to come along. LOL
Hopefully 2020 will be the year we get a >13-channel AVP with Oppo 205 levels of performance.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

audimus

That Monoprice unit sure is priced right.
If only it could perform?

Monoprice is the Ikea of electronics. Some great values, some utter crap. Hard to predict which is which.

But this is an ATI unit, so it won’t be total crap. But will it measure comparable to a desktop DAC which is the benchmark for this site? Probably not.

Will it measure worse than processors more (and much more) expensive than this? Probably not.

Can anyone hear a sonic difference between this and a $20k processor? Likely not.

So, this should be more than what most people would need.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@amirm : Is there a problem with Trinnov? Don't know curious, considering an SDP-75. Wish Trinnov wasn't so secretive about everything.

They also announced the SDP-65, a 16-channel Trinnov-based processor that is not expandable, like the Trinnov Altitude 16. And major price hikes to align with Trinnov, natch.

The Dirac Live units are based on Arcam products AFAIK. You can buy similar Arcam units for less $$$ and lacking a few Harman-specific features, plus I think Arcam charges extra for a full Dirac Live license. Be interesting to see how the new Dirac Live bass management code works.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm : Is there a problem with Trinnov? Don't know curious, considering an SDP-75. Wish Trinnov wasn't so secretive about everything.
It is very expensive and unless something has changed, I have never liked the UI in it. Or complexity of it being a PC with sound cards and such.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It is very expensive and unless something has changed, I have never liked the UI in it. Or complexity of it being a PC with sound cards and such.

Got it, thanks Amir.

Flak

Industry Insider
From min.8 appx, weird that he missed mentioning the Logic 16 music upmixer:

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, what are the chances you’ll review that gear?
Some chance since we have some relationship with Harman (although much weaker outside of the speaker line).

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'm almost afraid to see the results... I think most AVRs and processors are focused on so much other stuff that DAC performance is probably significantly lower than a stand-alone DAC. Frustrating, but probably inaudible.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
SDP-55 Surround Sound Processor, SDR-35 16-Channel AVR:
From min.8 appx, weird that he missed mentioning the Logic 16 music upmixer:
I really like the looks of the new HT JBL speaker line, costly, would like to see some measurements.

They missed the boat with the AVP/R's only .1 in bass management? Most of the newer gear is supporting individual DRC for multiple subs. Even the older Marantz/Audyssey designs are .2. The latest stuff using the newest Dirac goes .4 on subs, that's the direction of both Stereo and HT in high quality installs. Got the below link from Audiopholics on the new AudioControl line. Salesman starts to brag on the DAC and its measurements right at the 3:00 mark. I'd love to see how it really measures. ;)
EDIT, he does say the new Dirac will update for mulitple subs? Funny it only gets listed as a 9.1.6 platform, we shall see I guess, curious how'll do that with only 16 channels of processing, output connections, etc?

Last edited:
Top Bottom