• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 6 in-wall

jaydillyo

Yes. I'd take a look at the at the 88LCR here too:

It's cheaper and the specs look the same or better in every regard. Of course, until someone actually compares them we'll never know, but if it were me I'd get the 88LCRs and save myself $1500 on the front channels and put that money into something else.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin's Audio Corner just reviewed & measured 6 (or 7?) different in-walls with a single comparison video; really good info in there.

The Focal that's more expensive than the one you posted didn't seem to do so well in comparison to some others. It's worth noting it is a different speaker, with a big difference being closed box on the 1000 VS not on the 300. The speakers Erin tested with closed back all had (not good) mid bass peaks. The Focal 1000 did have a pretty strong treble peak too. It's impossible to say for sure how the 300 would preform given the results of the 1000. But IMHO it's not a great sign that a similar looking Focal 2x the price didn't do so well.

You can see all of the individual reviews on his site.

fitero

I've installed hundreds of in-wall/ceiling speakers in all manner of distributed sound and home-cinema situations. My experience is that those without a specific back-box/enclosure are always a compromise. They sound ok, but are hardly state of the art.

Unfortunately, JBL's SCL series, which can sound amazing in LCR locations are quite a bit more expensive.

However, if you construct your own back boxes and install them in the walls before sheet-rock goes on you will make more affordable in-wall/ceiling speakers sound better.
My 2c.

Cousin Mose

It's cheaper and the specs look the same or better in every regard. Of course, until someone actually compares them we'll never know, but if it were me I'd get the 88LCRs and save myself $1500 on the front channels and put that money into something else.
I recently installed these for L-R channels. I haven't done any measurements, but my calibrated earballs confirm that they rock. Imaging is wonderfully precise in my untreated room.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Isn't it the same waveguide with much bigger woofers? That's likely to lead to a dispersion disruption in the midrange. So it seems like the compromise leading to the 4-woofer ones being more expensive may be SPL/bass for midrange quality.

Top Bottom