• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 580 - same distortion as in the Stage A-180 ?

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
They are very similar designs, with two vertically mounted 6.5 inch woofers. Amir and others have indicted the woofers in the A-180. I think I hear the same distortion in both models. My ancient ears of course could be wrong. I think it unlikely that the compression driver and horn of the Studio 580 are a source of distortion. Could it be that Harman is using the same woofer in both models?

Any opinions from the cognoscenti here?

AwesomeSauce2015

There could be similar tweeter distortion in both models, I'd have to look up measurements to confirm but the Studio 5XX Horn / CD isn't super happy as it approaches x-over, and it could be that JBL also crossed the A-180 low enough to have a similar issue.

The woofers are a different color to start, so they aren't the exact same driver.
They could be very similar woofers, but I doubt it considering the difference in price point.
You have both speakers in the same space (with all the other double speaker test variables accounted for), I assume?
Then I'd say pull a woofer out from both speakers and see. There should be model #s on the back, or at least you can grab some pictures and we can compare them.

One other way to check your setup / ears would be to use a completely different speaker (ie: a KEF bookshelf like the LS50) with the same other variables (amp, placement, etc). If you still hear whatever it is you are hearing, then it's probably not being caused by the JBLs.

Beave

Major Contributor
The woofers are different in the Studio 5xx versus the Stage Axxx.

OP
MickeyBoy

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
The woofers are different in the Studio 5xx versus the Stage Axxx.
Gents - thanks for the replies. The distortion was apparent on a cappella voices and solo piano with big dynamic range. The comparison of the two speakers put them in the same position with the same Dirac room correction. I had set the crossover at 80 Hz. Remembering that Amir had good luck in reducing distortion by reducing the load ona speaker by increasing the crossover point, I moved it to 1001 Hz. I have two Rythmik L12s in a small room; 100 Hz was no problem. At 100 Hz the distortion of the A180 seemed about the same, but the Studio 580 seemed to benefit quite a bit. The bass was just a bit tighter as well. Though a budget speaker and just a two-way design, it seemed to be more driven by good parts and design and less by marketing. (Yes, subjective.) Also at least partly subjective: the NAD T758v3 AVR was the source, which Amir panned just after I bought it. Undoubtedly it brings its own distortion to the table. Alas.

Bottom line: I believe the Studio 580 is superior to the A180. The A180 is fine up to a certain loudness. I do like the Studio's compression driver-horn treble. NAD T758v3 - I won't again make the mistake of believing the subjective reviews without good measurements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom