• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 530 Speaker Review

IIIRIC

I recently bought a dB meter and realize I've been listening really loud :eek::facepalm:

Regardless I do feel they lack the bass I like to have, so I ordered an RSL Subwoofer recently.

Hopefully it works well for Music.

I really enjoy these on my Desk and wonder how much of an upgrade the 630s would be.
The 530s have a lot of bass when given the right amplification. I've powered them with 3 different amps/receivers so far (a Sony stereo receiver, a Hegel H95, and a Crown XLS 1002). They sound like completely different speakers on each one. My favorite sounding one thus far is the Crown XLS (it's a balanced power amp with DSP, not a receiver or an integrated.)

The 530s have a lot of bass when given the right amplification. I've powered them with 3 different amps/receivers so far (a Sony stereo receiver, a Hegel H95, and a Crown XLS 1002). They sound like completely different speakers on each one. My favorite sounding one thus far is the Crown XLS (it's a balanced power amp with DSP, not a receiver or an integrated.)

Hi Thanks, If you don't mind me asking How do you connect a Sub to these Crown Amps? My sub have these connection...

Screenshot 2022-05-24 015800.png

I currently have it hookup to an old AVR in LFE Mode (wirelessly). Also How do you control the Volume remotely?

IIIRIC

Hi Thanks, If you don't mind me asking How do you connect a Sub to these Crown Amps? My sub have these connection...

View attachment 208542
I currently have it hookup to an old AVR in LFE Mode (wirelessly). Also How do you control the Volume remotely?
The Crown XLS is a 2 channel amp with RCA, XLR, and 1/4" inputs --it has speaker wire terminal binding posts, and speakon outputs. I am using a powered subwoofer with XLR ins and outs, so I'm running a balance connection. I adjust my audio interface to my preferred listening level (not remotely), or alternatively use Audirvana remote app on my mobile device with software volume controls enabled.

IIIRIC

I just re-wired the 530s through the top binding posts instead of the bottom and the horns definitely sounds more present. I did one speaker at a time to compare. Has anyone else tried different connection methods with the 530s? Bi-wiring? Jumper cables?

AVKS

I just re-wired the 530s through the top binding posts instead of the bottom and the horns definitely sounds more present. I did one speaker at a time to compare. Has anyone else tried different connection methods with the 530s? Bi-wiring? Jumper cables?
I struggle to see how, short of some kind of a physical connection being fixed, that would make a difference.

IIIRIC

Been doing car, live, studio, and home audio for 20 years now including owning my own 530s. Anything is possible of course but I don't think I would be.
That's what's up! If you still have the 530's you should try it out and let us know if you could tell the difference.

muad

That will show up in an in room measurement for sure!

IIIRIC

That will show up in an in room measurement for sure!
I A/B'ed the speakers, one connected each way, and listened. The difference is ...much more than subtle. I listened to some songs where beforehand the vocals sounded recessed (with the connection to the bottom binding post) such as Hotel California, and now (with the top post connection) the lead singer sounds a lot more forward in the mix --fuller hats and cymbals too. I just ordered some jumper cables to replace the jumper bars/plates --I want to see if they will distribute the signal across the two drivers more evenly. I'll report what results I get afterwards for whoever is interested. It should arrive early this week.

IIIRIC

I'm curious to know, what cables (speaker wires / interconnects) do you all use with your setups?

muad

I'm curious to know, what cables (speaker wires / interconnects) do you all use with your setups?
Home Depot 14ga.

If there is such a massive change with using different binding posts... You might have a broken connection somewhere.

AVKS

That's what's up! If you still have the 530's you should try it out and let us know if you could tell the difference.
I don't unfortunately, but I do have 580s and 590s. There is no discernible difference in post usage.

Ozymand1as

Without double blind testing I have a lot of trouble believing some of the claims made above. Or measurements.

Rather, I think this is simple psychology. Someone thinks there will be a difference, and therefore they hear one.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Agreed... I'm in the camp with those that think something wasn't tightened down all the way or properly seated re Binding Post / Jumper Bar. Measurements can be seen how a loose connection can affect signal quality, even something seemingly as minimal as a slightly loose banana plug.

IIIRIC

Home Depot 14ga.

If there is such a massive change with using different binding posts... You might have a broken connection somewhere.
I only tried switching up binding posts after a couple others reported differences with performance from their Studio 530s. I was skeptical too, but after trying it the difference was very obvious. Everything tight, in full contact, not using bananas --unterminated Stinger Pro 12AWG OFC speaker wire connected to a Crown XLS 1002. All I can say is it's all speculation until you try it for yourself. It doesn't cost anything but a few seconds. If you don't have the speaker it may not be relevant to you.

IIIRIC

Without double blind testing I have a lot of trouble believing some of the claims made above. Or measurements.

Rather, I think this is simple psychology. Someone thinks there will be a difference, and therefore they hear one.
I'm just sharing my observations, not making a persuasive argument. If you think it's a placebo, well I can see how you can find that plausible. In the meantime, I'll be awaiting the results of your double-blind placebo controlled test.

Top Bottom