• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Studio 520C Center review (by Erin)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thanks to @hardisj for another review.

This is the 2-way MTM center channel from JBL.
If you buy from JBL directly, it's US$350.
However, I see that amazon.com has them for US$125 (which is the lowest price in the last year).

CEA2034%20--%20JBL%20Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel.png

JBL%20Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

JBL%20Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel%20Vertical%20Contour%20Plot%20%28Normalized%29.png

Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel_Compression.png

JBL%20Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2886dB%20%40%201m%29.png

JBL%20Studio%20520c%20Center%20Channel%20Harmonic%20Distortion%20%2896dB%20%40%201m%29.png

Preference score (according to Erin): 2.6
Discuss!

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hmmm. A bit rougher than I was expecting, but I'm still happy with mine. Considering it went down to $90, this is still pretty great. Maybe someday it will be replaced with a 3 way or coax center.

Expired Deal link:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The more center channel measurements I see, the more it becomes apparent that the simple “buy one that is same as your other main speakers” advice is seriously flawed.

There may be 2 out of 10 center channel speakers reviewed here that have good frequency response and decent directivity. That is pretty pitiful. :eek:

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
The more center channel measurements I see, the more it becomes apparent that the simple “buy one that is same as your other main speakers” advice is seriously flawed.

There may be 2 out of 10 center channel speakers reviewed here that get have good frequency response and decent directivity. That is pretty pitiful. :eek:
Which ones?

Best to stay with all same speakers in front!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There may be 2 out of 10 center channel speakers reviewed here that get have good frequency response and decent directivity. That is pretty pitiful. :eek:
Yes, matching directivity is I think the most important thing and all these 2-way centers fail at that, their directivity is totally different from the bookshelves/floorstanders people will be using for L/R.

But I'm sure companies are aware people are just told to buy "matching speakers", and most people pick the L/R they want and the center is an afterthought. It should really be the other way around -- you build your HT from the center *out*.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While Amir is on vacations, Erin is on fire releasing tons of measurements and reviews!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which ones?

Best to stay with all same speakers in front!

Take the centers Amir has reviewed and add the ones that Erin has reviewed and do the math.

The center channels that do well are a small minority.

Last edited:

Trdat

Forum Donor
Take the centers Amir has reviewed and add the ones that Erin has reviewed and do the math.

The center channels that do well are a small minority.
Have we considered the route of measuring more horizontally placed speakers that can be used for centre duties because of there orientation and if on the off chance the left and right measures well we can just use the L/R for the centre. That is what I have done, but have no idea if my left right measure decent in the first place.

When I say horizontally, I mean by the virtues of something like this.

x7QKvudqqFidjXn6UXN4Cc-480-80.jpg

Jdunk54nl

Yup. I was debating about repainting my current media stand and laying my bmr horizontal or building a new one that could have the bmr vertical. These reviews (especially the 3 ways) solidified the building new to keep the bmr vertical.

I was really disappointed with the 3 way centers, better than the 2 ways, but they aren't much better.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Now there's a design challenge :)

sword

This speaker regularly goes on sale for $90-$100. I got one for $90 late last year from JBL. Put the price in context with the measurements.

I have not noticed elevated high frequencies that the measurements would suggest, but I also listen to 90% movies/TV, and use CinemaEQ, which rolls off the top end a little.

This will play very loud without harshness. Mine is set about 6db higher than the JBL 580 fronts, but unless you have a small amp, that's not an issue.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Put a Directiva center on the list?
Yes. In fact a passive 2 way bookshelf made for HT... made for behind screen, wall, or ceiling mounted for multichannel. Maybe a -3dB around 70Hz :)

izeek

iono jack, myself, but i bought the 520 BECAUSE it was 90 bucks for a speaker originally retailing at 350.
i own l890s now. i was using a jbl jc1 center. got it cheap thinking it was JUST a center and prolly wasnt that a big a deal playing movies.
but, omg, this 520 really gave me meat and depth in the middle.
after all this time(3yrs about)i enjoyed the 7.2. but this was next level for my lowly system.

Descartes

Major Contributor
This speaker regularly goes on sale for $90-$100. I got one for $90 late last year from JBL, so Erin is incorrect on pricing. Put the price in context with the measurements.

I have not noticed elevated high frequencies that the measurements would suggest, but I also listen to 90% movies/TV, and use CinemaEQ, which rolls of the top end a little.

This will play very loud without harshness. Mine is set about 6db higher than the JBL 580 fronts, but unless you have a small amp, that's not an issue.
Was thinking of getting 3 of the 580 as fronts

hex168

To what extent can these failed MTM centers be fixed by rolling off one of the two woofers and dropping the tweeter level? (Convert to a 2.5 way?)

YSC

Major Contributor

There may be 2 out of 10 center channel speakers reviewed here that have good frequency response and decent directivity. That is pretty pitiful. :eek:
it seems to me it's not wrong, but more like if you want to use a center, buy the same 2 way as your good satellite, in such case I don't see why you would not like to put another KH80 in center or get a 8331A/ KEF LS50

sword

Was thinking of getting 3 of the 580 as fronts
That would work. I've also seen people lay 570's and 580's on their side to good effect. Either the vertical dispersion rotated 90 degrees is good enough, or any deficiencies are inaudible.

Top Bottom