• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jbl Stage A170/180 vs. Elac debut *F* 5.2/6.2

al128

Hi there,

it seems that there is quite some favorable feedback on both brands/ranges.

And as chances would have it, they are fairly comparable:

here the Elac Debut F5.2 and JBL Stage A170 ... both in the 5" class:

elac_df52_bk_debut_2_0_f5_2_floorstanding_1520443241_1394893.jpg
1534853732_IMG_1050340.jpg

here the Elac Debut F6.2 and JBL Stage A180 ... both in the 6.5" class:

elac_df62_bk_debut_2_0_f6_2_floorstanding_1520443241_1394894.jpg
HCx81AcP8bfUabTHC1vG-DpuwU-A85fSei5SJ3A3--59M8PgFjIebbtRdYhUz66PxDswH8AMz9pDLnt9IYnmiOXNut6fHLMuu5U

My question now: has anybody be able to compare them in a good listening session?

What are your thoughts? ... your experiences? seat of pants feedback is fine!!!

anything you could share with this searching soul ;-)

Thx in advance for your time and dedication to help me out here!

cheers!

Benedium

Forum Donor
JBL Stage is preferred here. Only Elac favourably reviewed here are the Reference versions.

JWAmerica

Do you have a subwoofer? If not, definitely go with the 6.5". If you do, you may be able to get away with the 5".

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Though not as comprehensive as a Klippel measurement the Stage A170 small tower did measure well in Stereophile's review, leading @John Atkinson to conclude that "JBL's Stage A170 offers excellent measured performance, especially considering its affordable price."

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
JBL Stage is preferred here. Only Elac favourably reviewed here are the Reference versions.

Not exactly. The 6" Debut stand mount did very well for the price, IMHO:

Compare the FR and DI with the Stage A130:

I would take the Elacs given the choice between those two.

I had the Elacs in my living room on demo for 30 days and rather liked them. The only reason they didn't stay was the higher WAF of the more expensive KEF Q100. The B6.2 was too big for our built-ins.

There is enough inconsistency in the lines from both brands, that I would want to see measurements of the exact model under consideration before making a decision. Compare the Stage A130 above with its A120 sibling:

Last edited:

MarkLawrence

I have b5.2 right next to my rp600m. My girlfriends b6.2 were here for a time. Also I'm using an r12sw. All hooked up to the TV.

The rp600m is more dynamic. They're fun to watch a movie. For music the low midrange is smeared. They're poor for male vocals, for example.

The b6.2 and b5.2 are similar to each other. Both are just a little smeared in the low midrange. The 6.2 has slightly more bass, slightly more smearing. Either is much better than the rp600m for listening to music.

Rest of the system, onkyo c7030 cd, adcom gfa535 amp. The adcom is Nelson pass before he was Nelson pass. Dac is built into the TV, I have no clue.

I have a different system in the other room, somewhat better equipment.

I must admit I don't know nothing about the 170,180,f5.2,f6.2

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
here the Elac Debut F5.2 and JBL Stage A170 ... both in the 5" class:
My question now: has anybody be able to compare them in a good listening session?
Pls base your decision on some measurements, not listening impressions.
ELAC DBR was measured nicely. JBL A170 was measured by stereophil - pretty flat FR.
I had ELAC B6 (1st gen) and now have JBL A170. Here's my subjective info:
A170 has more sensitivity - needs less power. A170 can go lower in subbass. ELAC B6v1 in comparison harder to drive and sounds muddy on some dialog in movies. A170 beats it. I'm much happier with JBL A170. I could've bought JBL A130 - but they r overpriced everywhere. I got my A170 from crutchfiled.
As for other speakers u mention - I have no idea, and I would seek good measurements on those, not "impressions".

Nonick

I cant comment on measurements (didnt performed them), but i had excessive listening comparison with JBL Stage A170, A180, A190, Elac Debut F5.2 and Dali Oberon 7. (they were all connected to Marantz PM8006).
During listening, the most convincing (my subjective opinion) were JBL Stage A180. Clear vocals, clear mids, good bass. Clear and transparent at low or high volumes. Played well with any type of music. Elac Debut 5.2 were "muddy" compared to them. I couldnt hear vocals clearly, soundstage was narrow. I listened to few soundtracks on Elac and i couldnt "dive in" the sound. Seemed like music was coming from behind of nylon cover.
Dali Oberon 7 had much more bass then Elac, but the bass was overwhelming, clarity was slightly better (but not much). Then i switched to A190 - also clear, but i felt they were "too much" bass intonated and i couldnt enjoy higher audio frequencies as much as with A180.
To be clear, A190 are mighty fine speakers, but they were just too big for my taste.
Of all these speakers ive chosen A180 - wide soundstage, excellent imaging, focus and clarity. In this price range - i didn't auditon any other speakers that matches A180.

Last edited:
Top Bottom