• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 vs A180

MickeyBoy

Forum Donor
Amir, it’s all your fault, with that enticing review of the A130. So I have two Stages and subjected them to what testing I could to see if there were any differences worth fretting about. Bottom line, basically there were not. The A130 is IMO a terrific product, still available from Crutchfield for $200 shipped.

Both speakers’ specs can be found @ https://www.jbl.com/speakers/ The A130 is a simple two-way design; the A180 a 2.5 way. The A130 has a waveguide of 17 in^2 and is crossed over @ 3.2 kHz. The A-180’s waveguide is 31^2; the crossover to the top woofer is @ 2.0 kHz. Which woofer will start beaming earlier? Will the lower woofer of the A180 and the more complex 2.5 way crossover network create some problems the A130 is free of? I have no idea a priori; so let’s do an informal comparison.

First, any differences I heard were very subtle. Unsurprisingly, both speakers are equally good. Second, I participated in Dr AIX’s test about audible differences between Redbook recordings and high-res ones he himself had done . My score was about 45% correct. Keep that in mind about any differences I heard (or might have.)

Photos of the disposition of the Stages and REW measurements below. The graphs represent an average of 5 mic positions in my rather suboptimal 2,186 ft^3 listening room. The speakers were placed side by side as in the photo and positioned at least 3.5 ft from any wall. Tweeters a bit below ear height. These graphs don’t tell me much; a squiggle here, a squiggle there, and that’s how you do the frequency-response hokie-pokie. On the recording of Mozart’s Clarinet Quintet on the BD described below, there is a C# on the cello, about 72 Hz. It was weaker on the A-130 than the A-180. This was apparent on comparison, but in normal performance practice it would have been within the discretion of the cellist. The A-130 is an impressive speaker, still available for $200 shipped from Crutchfield and perhaps others.

Listening suggests that the A180 does better with men’s voices, notably bass-baritone Robert Holl, along with a bigger, deeper soundstage. Generally the A180 gives a bigger soundstage, and the A130 ever so slightly better dynamics. Could it be that the narrower, slightly more focused soundstage gives the impression of better dynamics? Would squeezing in the soundstage make the individual voices more prominent? The A130 also seems ever so slightly to bring out the different registers of an instrument, while the A-180 just a bit smoother.

There is one problem with these impressions: REW measures the efficiency of the A130 as 70.3 – 70.6 and the A180 as 73.0 – 73.7. I could not match up the efficiency exactly. If the A130 were 3 notches higher than the A180 it sounded a bit better. If 2 notches, not so much. This is a good indication of how similar the speakers are and the importance of level matching – and finding the precisely right volume for each individual recording, as Gordon Holt used to say.

I listen with Dirac, along with a pair of Rythmik L12 subwoofers. For these speakers I set the crossover point at 90Hz in the NAD T758v3 AVR, a fourth-order Linkwitz-Riley filter. Dirac screen below. It only operates up to 500 Hz. This should take the deep bass out of the comparison. The last track of Christian McBride’s album Getting’ to it is a very good test since his various bowings, pluckings, and uses of the bow stick and fingerboard, like consonants in speech, are all very different sounds and might reveal weaknesses of a speaker. I could not tell any consistent difference speaker to speaker. (I have heard him live, FWIW.) Another great test disk is Mark Waldrep’s Blu-Ray of Mozart clarinet and horn quintets and an early string quartet with the “Old City” (now Dover) Quartet. Get your copy while you still can. It is unadulterated 96/24. AIX records 86065. The visual element is very helpful as it primes you to expect to hear the sound of the instrument you are seeing the same way you did in live concerts. The clarinet and the horn are very different and fill a room in different ways, the horn deeper and darker. Again no or little difference in speakers. But I noticed something rather interesting. Listen to the first bit of the Clarinet Quintet and then go to the Horn Quintet. It is striking how much darker the sound atmosphere has become. Could the players have darkened their tone to blend in better with the horn? Of course. Notice that the micing and the seating of the players are different too. Could Mark Waldrep have contributed to this? Yes, of course. I mention this in part to justify listening tests, as I wonder what conceivable measurement could have picked this up.

So for me the A180s are now the main speakers and the A130s surrounds, with Dirac and a 90Hz xover . I could perhaps have reversed this, but with the A180s up front I don’t need speaker stands or have to find a spot for floor-standing surrrounds.

Attachments

• Brother-and-sister-Stage.jpg
    Brother-and-sister-Stage.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 713
  • A130 stacked avg 5 positions.jpg
    A130 stacked avg 5 positions.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 716
  • A180 avg.jpg
    A180 avg.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 501
  • DiracPNG.PNG
    DiracPNG.PNG
    296.8 KB · Views: 705

Namesbuck

Catching this a bit late but thanks for the effort and I can echo your thoughts on the quality of the A130. Very nice sounding speakers. Seem like you had some peaking just before 200 hz which is similar to what I have using Audessey. I will re-test using REW and a umik-1 at some point but just found that interesting. Otherwise very pleasant and full sounding speakers that are still detailed. I use them for HT mostly but enjoy their presentation for music as well.

Nonick

Owned A180 - great speakers. Since i didnt wanted to use a subwoofer, and price difference was minor, exchanged them for A190. No need for sub, almost identical mid/high range performance as 180 but with deeper low end.
Measurements without EQ

Attachments

• 3jbldenonright.jpg
    3jbldenonright.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 254

imral3

JBL Stage line is pretty good throughout, IMHO. I have been enjoying my A170's for stereo music. Using a miniDSP 2x4HD and four (4) Dayton Audio SUB 1200's for the bottom end. My measured response from my listening chair:

Attachments

• 20220519_184904.jpg
    20220519_184904.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 168

Teeter

Measurements are the science part, but does not mean how the speaker is going to react to my ears. All I know is that I don't like a lot of treble or to much base for MOVIES. I tried the Stage A130's a year ago and were just tooo neutral for my ears. The previous Klipsch bookshelf R-51M's, had way to much treble along with the R-52C for DD movies.

In my case, I have to hear the speakers and be the judge.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see this is a resurrection of an older thread, but with the recent sales on the Harman website lots of people I think are buying the A180 and A190. I have a pair of each that I'm demo'ing right now. My initial reaction is a certain harshness or distortion at the lower end of the treble range that could be coming from the tweeter but I'm not certain yet. I particularly hear it in soprano vocals, which apparently are around 1000 Hz and not the 2k I expected. Compared to my two pairs of older Snells (one with silk tweeters, other with aluminum, probably a bit tired), these speakers are very bright so I'm also adding an equalizer just to make sure I can get to an apples to apples comparison. Certainly the imaging with the tweeter baffle is better than my old Snell rectangles. FWIW I'm driving them with a Hypex 502MP digital amp, but also testing them on either of two Onkyo AB amp receivers.

fieldcar

My initial reaction is a certain harshness or distortion at the lower end of the treble range that could be coming from the tweeter but I'm not certain yet.
I wonder if anyone with the floor standing JBL stage series speakers has a measuring mic. It's pretty easy to measure THD with the free REW software. Have you considered grabbing a umik-1 for about 100USD shipped?

cavedriver

Is that the mic of choice? I was waiting on Amir and others that have invested the time, I have so many hobbies already...

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I wonder if anyone with the floor standing JBL stage series speakers has a measuring mic. It's pretty easy to measure THD with the free REW software. Have you considered grabbing a umik-1 for about 100USD shipped?
Stereophile has measurements of the A170 and they measure very good. My own on-axis measurements of the A170 are consistent with theirs.

cavedriver

Just saw Erin's review of the A130's and it's quite negative (and disagrees with Amir's data). I also spent the day listening to the 180 and 190 and just can't find a way to like these speakers. Yes they are worth the recent sale price ($200/pair for the 180's, $250 for the 190's), but definitely not their list price. Yes, they play some of my reference tracks like Hendrix and Thorogood fairly well, with plenty of energy and enough speed, and they play them quite loud if desired. They also just hurt to listen to. It's fatiguing to listen to them. Too much distortion from that tweeter I guess. I had about 2 dB pulled out above 10k but did not use a mic to check the in-room. If the tweeter's being asked to play out of it's range down between 2k and 3k and it's causing distortion then I won't be able to fix it with equalization anyway. The bass also doesn't have any texture. The volume is there, and the lower frequencies played by the 190's exceed the range and power of my old Snell's with their single 8" woofers, but they can't compete for personality with the woofer in the Elac DBR-62's (a speaker I ultimately rejected despite the wonderous bass performance of that carbon fiber woofer). They can play quite loud though. Unfortunately what I thought was good imaging in my semi-nearfield space earlier is just a fair amount of off-axis response. When I set them up in my bigger room where the speakers are on the longer wall and I can best judge imaging, I find it's not all that great. Another complaint I had arose when listening to Kleiber's live version of Beethoven's 6th. Not the best quality recording ever, but the mood should be happy, almost spring time. The first movement was instead stiff and woody, unmusical if I could use an even more fuzzy word. I was so perturbed I had to switch back to my Snells and listen through again- much better, and the emotion was back again. I hate writing such vague and unsupported comments but I wanted to get them written down while they're fresh and before more reviews bias me back again. Obviously YMMV. I will be very interested to see what Amir's review finds. I do see that his review of the A135C is quite critical, and that his company is a Harman dealer so he may need to hedge his comments a bit.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saw Erin's review of the A130's and it's quite negative (and disagrees with Amir's data). I also spent the day listening to the 180 and 190 and just can't find a way to like these speakers. Yes they are worth the recent sale price ($200/pair for the 180's, $250 for the 190's), but definitely not their list price. Yes, they play some of my reference tracks like Hendrix and Thorogood fairly well, with plenty of energy and enough speed, and they play them quite loud if desired. They also just hurt to listen to. It's fatiguing to listen to them. Too much distortion from that tweeter I guess. I had about 2 dB pulled out above 10k but did not use a mic to check the in-room. If the tweeter's being asked to play out of it's range down between 2k and 3k and it's causing distortion then I won't be able to fix it with equalization anyway. The bass also doesn't have any texture. The volume is there, and the lower frequencies played by the 190's exceed the range and power of my old Snell's with their single 8" woofers, but they can't compete for personality with the woofer in the Elac DBR-62's (a speaker I ultimately rejected despite the wonderous bass performance of that carbon fiber woofer). They can play quite loud though. Unfortunately what I thought was good imaging in my semi-nearfield space earlier is just a fair amount of off-axis response. When I set them up in my bigger room where the speakers are on the longer wall and I can best judge imaging, I find it's not all that great. Another complaint I had arose when listening to Kleiber's live version of Beethoven's 6th. Not the best quality recording ever, but the mood should be happy, almost spring time. The first movement was instead stiff and woody, unmusical if I could use an even more fuzzy word. I was so perturbed I had to switch back to my Snells and listen through again- much better, and the emotion was back again. I hate writing such vague and unsupported comments but I wanted to get them written down while they're fresh and before more reviews bias me back again. Obviously YMMV. I will be very interested to see what Amir's review finds. I do see that his review of the A135C is quite critical, and that his company is a Harman dealer so he may need to hedge his comments a bit.
Sometimes the most simple answer is the most likely correct one..
-They both use a Klippel to meassure this model but they measure quite differently. Either their quality control is poor, or they made a running revision. With different measuring speakers, their opinions on the speaker varied.
-Below are the on axis and estimated in room response for both Amir’s and Erin’s measurements. They are very different and both of their subjective comments make sense. Amir fixed the hump between 1-2k with EQ and liked the speaker. Erin found the speaker very bright and did not like it at all.

newplot 10.png

newplot 8.png

fieldcar

Is that the mic of choice? I was waiting on Amir and others that have invested the time, I have so many hobbies already...
It's the most popular for DIRAC and REW as it is laboratory calibrated (with a unique calibration file) from the factory for frequency response and SPL, but you have other options that do essentially the same thing. If you're here on ASR, you're probably dedicated enough to benefit from the mic.
They also just hurt to listen to. It's fatiguing to listen to them. Too much distortion from that tweeter I guess.
This is why I suggest the measurement mic. It could just be the crossover peak rather than distortion. Maybe you've got a bad connection at the speaker or something else is going on. The measurement mic will confirm this rather than speculating.

Otherwise, if you're set on not buying the mic, you could just use an android app like specdroid if you're on android, and just use your phone's mic to listen to a frequency sweep. Distortion shows up like harmonies above the fundamental and can sound like a square wave tone.

Video of my JBL 590 with a bad compression driver:

Screenshot of the 590's sweep before the HF driver was replaced.
1654008554549.png

cavedriver

Screenshot of the 590's sweep before the HF driver was replaced.
View attachment 210058
That's a pretty obvious series of spikes. I do need a mic, but I need one for my two older Onkyo receivers for their built-in calibrations,. I haven't done any investigation into whether I can co-opt the mic solution for these.

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure it's not a system issue- have been using two wholly separate systems (in different rooms too) with the only shared component being the speakers themselves. I do admit I have not been listening to them as a pair- it's always been one 180 or one 190 paired with either the other JBL size or a Snell E/III or E/IV. I've adjusted for the minor difference in efficiencies, although all four are fairly close. The tweeter height on the 180 is fairly close to the E/III, while the 190 almost matches the E/IV. To flesh out some details I'll drop the other channel and just listen to one speaker.

Last edited:

fieldcar

That's a pretty obvious series of spikes.

Yeah. Here was the result of the THD measurement with the UMIK-1 with REW. 5-10% THD @96dB was very audible, especially with piano tracks. I'm so glad it's fixed now.
THD tweeter (1).jpg

I haven't done any investigation into whether I can co-opt the mic solution for these.
Usually the basic mic's that come with AVR's have a wonky frequency response that needs EQ to compensate, and that's usually built into the AVR. Though, it should be better than your phone's mic.

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure it's not a system issue- have been using two wholly separate systems (in different rooms too) with the only shared component being the speakers themselves. I do admit I have not been listening to them as a pair- it's always been one 180 or one 190 paired with either the other JBL size or a Snell E/III or E/IV. I've adjusted for the minor difference in efficiencies, although all four are fairly close. The tweeter height on the 180 is fairly close to the E/III, while the 190 almost matches the E/IV. To flesh out some details I'll drop the other channel and just listen to one speaker.
The only thing I'd recommend is avoiding those free-spinning banana plugs. I used some crappy amazon basics one's that looked good, but caused odd high frequency distortion when the bass was hitting. Fun stuff.

Good luck with the testing. If you do find that the speaker has an issue, I'm sure JBL will be happy to help. Their tech support is pretty good from my experiences.

cavedriver

The only thing I'd recommend is avoiding those free-spinning banana plugs. I used some crappy amazon basics one's that looked good, but caused odd high frequency distortion when the bass was hitting. Fun stuff.
In one room I use these "WGGE" banana plugs from Amazon after testing a couple different ones. They have a fairly large wire grip area and the plugs themselves are nicely snug. They are attached to some "Install Gear" 12awg speaker wire that I measured as true 12 gauge. I think I tinned the wires before putting them in the plugs to reduce strand breakage. The other room uses a bi-wire arrangement with 10' old Audioquest solid strand "Type 4" cable that was sold in the 90's and that I wire directly into the terminals. Since they're solid single strand wires (4x18 awg) I could probably strip back the insulation a bit to expose some fresh conductor and confirm they're no kink-induced breaks but visual inspection suggests they are still ok for now.

fieldcar

I was skimming through my Google news feed on my phone and I saw this JBL speaker roundup. The crazy thing is that it mentions exactly what you've experienced with the harshness of the tweeter on the larger towers using the lower crossover point.

Buckster

Edit - manual I found must be out of date as on JBL website it does indeed have different crossovers for each

Interesting so low a crossover Vs the >3khz on A130 that 5.25 driver on the A130 must be pretty special

cavedriver

I was skimming through my Google news feed on my phone and I saw this JBL speaker roundup. The crazy thing is that it mentions exactly what you've experienced with the harshness of the tweeter on the larger towers using the lower crossover point.

Haha, you know I assume many of these "review" sites never actually touch the products they review- they just search the internet (either manually or with software tools) and "build" a review out of content that's already out there. I don't know if this reviewer is legit, but it almost sounds like they read this forum...

Nonick

Haha, you know I assume many of these "review" sites never actually touch the products they review- they just search the internet (either manually or with software tools) and "build" a review out of content that's already out there. I don't know if this reviewer is legit, but it almost sounds like they read this forum...
Exactly. For A190 they say "The mids are really clear and colorful here, and the bass is serious. So, if you’re a fan of thumping and bumping music, it could be the best JBL floor standing speaker for EDM available." As i own A190, there is no serious bass and thumping/bumping music, voices are perfectly clear. So these "review" sites have never actually heard those speakers. Waste of time reading those reviews.

Top Bottom