• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

NOROB

Forum Donor
^^ That's what it's all about. No need to let "science" intrude on the enjoyment of Mahler.

There's always "tweaks," and they are almost always at the margins. Put away the microphone and enjoy the music. (I say this as one who spent a career within the science of loudspeakers.)

Understood. Part of the impetus for REW and the mic isn't so much the A-130's, since they sound really great right now. Rather, it is the main stereo in our living room.

I've got a pair of standmount speakers that were made locally hear in New Orleans and purchased about 13 years ago, along with a NAD 326BEE, and a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. There is a lot going on in that room, 12' ceilings, two walls that have windows and an old 8' high peer mirror, upright piano, a rocking horse that I made for my grandchildren, and about 60% open to the second half of the living room (double parlor separated by 5' high built-in bookshelves and columns). All that with hardwood pine floors (there is a large oriental rug that helps with that) and lathe and plaster walls and ceiling, sofas, armchairs, etc. So that is the main driver - I'd like to take measurements at the listening area to see if some EQ would be of benefit.

375HP2482

^^ Yes, but with all of that living going on, you're not going to be able to make acoustically-significant changes to the space without modifying the room into a quasi-studio.

NOROB

Forum Donor
^^ Yes, but with all of that living going on, you're not going to be able to make acoustically-significant changes to the space without modifying the room into a quasi-studio.

LOL - yes, that definitely won't happen :). Still, I'd have to think some EQ will help.

Toblerone

Has anyone tried the A135C does it hold up as a center channel paired with the A130s?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried the A135C does it hold up as a center channel paired with the A130s?
According to Crutchfield, it is discontinued.

Also, it's massive. I would expect the horizontal dispersion to be very restricted with such a wide array. Probably a soundbar destroyer, though.

g109SA135CA-o_other1.jpg

cbracer

Forum Donor
The A135C is likely not discontinued, it's back ordered until September. I find better info on the harmanaudio web site than the jbl web site. Strange for the same company they have such different info on the two sites. Then sellers just put them as discontinued confusing us. Likely it will also get the "AM" part number designation for America market which probably means it has different sheets of paper in the box, lol.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-au...A135C_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=home-audio

mrpunkk

I have been testing my a130s, and I must say that they sound very good, better than my jbl es20, although I hear that they resonate with certain notes (frequencies), like some very low bass or trumpet, will it be the port or the box?

Putter

Forum Donor
The A135C is likely not discontinued, it's back ordered until September. I find better info on the harmanaudio web site than the jbl web site. Strange for the same company they have such different info on the two sites. Then sellers just put them as discontinued confusing us. Likely it will also get the "AM" part number designation for America market which probably means it has different sheets of paper in the box, lol.
https://www.harmanaudio.com/home-audio/STAGE+A135C.html?dwvar_STAGE A135C_color=Black-USA-Current&cgid=home-audio

I would look at the A125C as a better match for the A130, dual 5.25" woofers and a similar waveguide.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been testing my a130s, and I must say that they sound very good, better than my jbl es20, although I hear that they resonate with certain notes (frequencies), like some very low bass or trumpet, will it be the port or the box?
Could be as simple as something is rattleing somewhere, for example the two +/- terminals on the back should be tightened if using banana plugs, also loose wires or components inside can be responsible or the tiny plastic phaseplug in front of the tweeter dome, think it should be okay easy oneself can do a strathetic analyse feeding one speaker at a time (mono) with those track material you hear will resonate :)..

Hiten

Just curious...
If one has powerfull amplifier which can drive two speaker sets. How worthwhile or possible would it be to have a passive subwoofer or DIY subwoofer with custom made crossover ?
thanks.

Ralferator

Just curious...
If one has powerfull amplifier which can drive two speaker sets. How worthwhile or possible would it be to have a passive subwoofer or DIY subwoofer with custom made crossover ?
thanks.

I don't think a passive subwoofer makes much sense because it's very hard to fit it in an existing system. I would rather go for active, because you can adjust the crossover frequency and the volume.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just curious...
thanks.

it’s worth while if the distance from you to the subwoofer is less than 2 meters, and if you buy the subwoofer used. Otherwise it won’t be worth it, unless you have one of these 500W RMS amplifiers.

Hiten

How much power do you have available?

Probably not the right thread though.
Currently I am making lm3886 amplifier just for fun. (I know these chip amps are not powerful)
I am not planning anything with regard to query; was just thinking if it is possible.

I don't think a passive subwoofer makes much sense because it's very hard to fit it in an existing system. I would rather go for active, because you can adjust the crossover frequency and the volume.
OK got that.
it’s worth while if the distance from you to the subwoofer is less than 2 meters, and if you buy the subwoofer used. Otherwise it won’t be worth it, unless you have one of these 500W RMS amplifiers.
I understand subwoofer needs power, was guessing about if any powerful amplifier having speaker A+B connections can be implemented.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I am making lm3886 amplifier just for fun. (I know these chip amps are not powerful)
I am not planning anything with regard to query; was just thinking if it is possible.

OK got that.

I understand subwoofer needs power, was guessing about if any powerful amplifier having speaker A+B connections can be implemented.

OK got that.

You mean A & B zones? Usually only one of them can be turned on at one point.

chad2

i just ordered the a135c and received it early July i think it sounds really good considering how thin it is and it being a passive sound bar. i have it between 4 sony ss-cs5's configured in an MTM manner and it matches very well i just had to EQ the lower end down a bit because it sounds weird down below 150hz. the lower frequencies did not pair well with my set up so i just EQ'ed them out. 250hz down 2db, 150hz down 4db, and 63hz down 6db

Top Bottom