• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And I guess that comparing the A130 and 530 would offer a pretty good clue as to how the A170 and 570 would compare.

ObjectAudio

I got the JBL A130 this week. Here are my JBL A130 measurements and crossover mod I did.
The crossover is as simple as it get, and after playing with crossover optimization the end result is a very simple mod adding one 3.3 ohm resistor in serial with the Woofer capacitor.The mod results with the simulation and actual measurements looking very promising.
Please find the attach pictures of the circuit the simulation and the actual measurements before and after the mod.
The measurements are done on tweeter axis 0.5m from the speaker. It looks like the distortion in the 0.5-2KHz also improved.

Attachments

• A130 Measurments.PNG
    A130 Measurments.PNG
    128.8 KB · Views: 540
  • A130Before.png
    A130Before.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 606
  • A130-Response-Mod.PNG
    A130-Response-Mod.PNG
    56 KB · Views: 579
  • A130-Response-Org.PNG
    A130-Response-Org.PNG
    54.5 KB · Views: 658
  • A130-Schematic-Mod.PNG
    A130-Schematic-Mod.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 737
  • A130-Schematic-Org.PNG
    A130-Schematic-Org.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 706
  • JBL A130 After Mod.png
    JBL A130 After Mod.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 603

Ralferator

I got the JBL A130 this week. Here are my JBL A130 measurements and crossover mod I did.
The crossover is as simple as it get, and after playing with crossover optimization the end result is a very simple mod adding one 3.3 ohm resistor in serial with the Woofer capacitor.The mod results with the simulation and actual measurements looking very promising.
Please find the attach pictures of the circuit the simulation and the actual measurements before and after the mod.
The measurements are done on tweeter axis 0.5m from the speaker. It looks like the distortion in the 0.5-2KHz also improved.

Nice! How does it sound before and after the mod?

ObjectAudio

I did very short listening comparing one speaker with the mod and the other original , and the sound was smother to my ears. The tonality was closer to my JBL 306II after the mod.
I did some short listening with the A130 after the mod and compare them to other speakers that I have and they are really amazing.
They are much better than the Elac ub5 that I think are awful shouting speakers. They were better than the KEF Q150.
Amazingly they sound very similar to the Polk LSIM703 that I love.

boselover61

I did very short listening comparing one speaker with the mod and the other original , and the sound was smother to my ears. The tonality was closer to my JBL 306II after the mod.
I did some short listening with the A130 after the mod and compare them to other speakers that I have and they are really amazing.
They are much better than the Elac ub5 that I think are awful shouting speakers. They were better than the KEF Q150.
What does putting a crossover in would accomplish that EQ can't? Honest question

Ralferator

What does putting a crossover in would accomplish that EQ can't? Honest question

Thank you for your impressions and the mod. I will get those speakers too and try out that mod. It seems so convenient. How do they compare to the JBL 306? Which ones do you prefer?

ObjectAudio

EQ cannot fix all issues that insufficient crossover design bring to the table like time align correction , avoiding cone breakup , and so.
EQ should be the last mod to the speakers after sufficient crossover design.

boselover61

EQ cannot fix all issues that insufficient crossover design bring to the table like time align correction , avoiding cone breakup , and so.
EQ should be the last mod to the speakers after sufficient crossover design.
Do you have sources to the above claims? The one research thread here by user ctrl shows that an expensive/better crossover makes zero difference to a speakers' measurements. Subjectivism not withstanding.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have sources to the above claims? The one research thread here by user ctrl shows that an expensive/better crossover makes zero difference to a speakers' measurements. Subjectivism not withstanding.

All of those threads were basically about replacing a crossover's parts with more expensive, audiophool approved, "designer" versions and not about the actual design of the crossover filters...

boselover61

All of those threads were basically about replacing a crossover's parts with more expensive, audiophool approved, "designer" versions and not about the actual design of the crossover filters...
Mate you gotta be a lot more convincing than that. You can't just say things sound "better" after modding without actually having the data to back it up. Need scientific data to back it up...

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mate you gotta be a lot more convincing than that. You can't just say things sound "better" after modding without actually having the data to back it up. Need scientific data to back it up...

:facepalm:

@ObjectAudio is talking about the actual design of the crossover. Changing how it acts a a filter circuit buy actually changing component values or adding new components. How that actually end up sounding may be in the eye of the beholder (or the eye of the sinporama...) but it makes an obvious and measurable change.

Ctrl's threads were about debunking audiophile myths regarding replacing crossover components with more expensive versions that are basically electrically identical.

To answer your original question...

In a passive speaker you cannot individually EQ each driver. The whole speaker gets one signal and the crossover has to divide that among the drivers.

ObjectAudio

Some more listening sessions comparing the modified JBL A130 with other speakers I have.
I think I like it more than the JBL 530 , It is more open and playing surprisingly like a bigger speaker.
The speakers that were close call and all of them were similar in their tonality were the JBL A130 , Plok LSIM703, and the Energy LCR.
All of them are really great with similar smooth ,open and spacious sound.
Again I didn't test it before the crossover modification , so I cannot comment how they sound unmodified compare to the other.

Last edited:

Hiten

Out of curiosity I checked next in line JBL A170 which has extra driver and seems both A130 and A170 have same tweeter and 5.25 inch polycellulose woofer/s). Mesuring A170 would probably be difficult so in forum members experience...
1) can anyone tell what are the implecations of moving A130's 3.2Khz crossover point to A170's 1.8Khz and 2.8Khz) ?
2) Also can anyone guess dispersion and distortion wise what would be pros and cons of having 2 crossoverpoints amongst others issues if any.
Thanks and Regards

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity I checked next in line JBL A170 which has extra driver and seems both A130 and A170 have same tweeter and 5.25 inch polycellulose woofer/s). Mesuring A170 would probably be difficult so in forum members experience...
1) can anyone tell what are the implecations of moving A130's 3.2Khz crossover point to A170's 1.8Khz and 2.8Khz) ?
2) Also can anyone guess dispersion and distortion wise what would be pros and cons of having 2 crossoverpoints amongst others issues if any.
Thanks and Regards

FWIW John Atkinson's measurements of the A170 are here: https://www.stereophile.com/content/jbl-stage-a170-loudspeaker-measurements

This past week I've been swapping between the A170, Studio 530, and Revel M106 , all with dual subs, and the A170 is not embarrassed by it's more expensive Revel cousin. With a touch of EQ neither is the 530 for that matter.

Hiten

Thanks Jmudrick. I presume extra driver in A170 (Compared to A130) would further have reduced distortion at lower end ?
It is also interesting that the article in stereophile suggest some sort of port antiresonance which probably does not contribute to midrange like A130. I wonder if A130 can further improved by port adjustment/mods ?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Thanks Jmudrick. I presume extra driver in A170 (Compared to A130) would further have reduced distortion at lower end ?
It is also interesting that the article in stereophile suggest some sort of port antiresonance which probably does not contribute to midrange like A130. I wonder if A130 can further improved by port adjustment/mods ?

Perhaps. With the A170 I still see that pesky behavior at 850hz in room but generally the ragged behaviors are easily corrected with a Harman curve EQ and it does play loud as I need.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Perhaps. With the A170 I still see that pesky behavior at 850hz in room but generally the ragged behaviors are easily corrected with a Harman curve EQ and it does play loud as I need.
Think we can call me pessimistic about true acoustics for A170 but that's what i am after Amir used his wonder Klippel robot (thanks) to analyze Revel F35, what i mean is we tend to think about the positive logics as A130 must be improved as for A170 where one more cone transducer is added to relieve single cone for A130 so two must absolut be better than one, another thing that doesn't help is for A130 @ObjectAudio (thanks) report ab fabric the crossover is as simple as it get.

Try study below prints, the left column is Revel F35 where upper one is published by manufacture and lower one is Amir's analyze side by side to Amir's analyze of JBL Stage A130, my comments here is stuff gets complicated when multiple cones share same chamber but sit in different locations and distances relative to design axis and ports plus each cone have different electric dampening and passband via the dividing network. There looks be noice in DI curve (directivity index) for F35 not to speak of all the other curves in area 250-1500Hz, will guess for A170 there would also be noice and increasing DI because spacing out two cones that crossover relative high @1800Hz will normal cost some increased directivity plus also some comb filtering in highs. So summa sumarum for me is it doesn't look a walk in the park improve via add one more cone when stuff is so complicated sharing chambers and ports, but the problem is probably how to make proof because most such systems looks perform nice enough analyzed the old fashion way as we for example see in ObjectAudio's curves that there is much less noice presented than into Amir's analyze.

Hiten_1.png

Top Bottom