• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

The Studio 230 are pretty bright sounding and people where complaining that they get a little hard on the ears when they listen louder.
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/jbl-studio-2-speaker-system
I would prefer the Stage A130 or even the JBL Arena series
I have the JBL Studio 230's. I've EQ'd them to be "flat" on both a cheap Sony Receiver and a Yamaha Aventage A4A. In both cases I did not find them to be bright at all. They are very detailed and when placed well and EQ'd I have a tough time finding any problems with them. They are my main L/R speakers and will be until something that blows my socks off comes along.

goldark

Forum Donor
I didn't get a chance to read through the whole thread, but was there any conclusion on what caused the discrepancies between Amir's A130 and Erin's? Besides measuring (and listening), is there any way to tell what version you have (serial number, different crossover, etc)?

YSC

Major Contributor
I didn't get a chance to read through the whole thread, but was there any conclusion on what caused the discrepancies between Amir's A130 and Erin's? Besides measuring (and listening), is there any way to tell what version you have (serial number, different crossover, etc)?
their plots with the resonance/peaking from 800-1200hz seems consistent, tweeter might be unit to unit variation to some point but the peaking (breakup) trend post 10khz is similar, only major discrepancy is in the bass region, I suspect it's similar to the KH80DSP is due to temperature

Teeter

I purchased the Stage A-130 in January of '21. They replaced the Klipsch R-51M bookshelf. Before Klipsch, going back several years, I had JBL bookshelf. The Klipsch R-51M were pretty good for Movies, but not for music. I saw the Stage A130 on Amir's webpage with a good rating and were on sale and in my budget.

The A130's lasted for a while and were too neutral for my ears for both Movies and Music. They are now my side surrounds for movies and multi-channel music, perfect. The stage A 130 receive a couple nice independent reviews based on hearing results and not on measurements. What's in your budget and hearing enjoyment?
I switched back to Klipsch as more dynamic watching movies. Classical or Symphony music is not so good listening for my ears.

memphiskat

Probably not the best place to ask, but what the heck. I use Math Audio Headphone EQ for EQing my JBL 130s. It only has peak and hi and low shelf filters, not a high pass filter option. How would I translate the the high pass filters given in the EQ recommendations here to a how shelf filter? What frequency, gain, and Q?

witwald

Forum Donor
Probably not the best place to ask, but what the heck. I use Math Audio Headphone EQ for EQing my JBL 130s. It only has peak and hi and low shelf filters, not a high pass filter option. How would I translate the the high pass filters given in the EQ recommendations here to a how shelf filter? What frequency, gain, and Q?
You could possibly ask the developer to add high-pass and low-pass filter options. It wouldn't be too difficult.

As Math Audio's Headphone EQ has the ability to display the frequency response curve of the EQ settings, you could give things a try as follows.

For the low-shelf filter to behave a bit like a high-pass filter, at least over a limited frequency range, you would need to apply a gain of say –12 dB, place the frequency at 20 Hz, and set the Q equal to 0.7071. This produces a response that is –6 dB at 20 Hz, and about –3 dB at 28 Hz or so.

Increasing the frequency setting to 30 Hz produces a response that is –6 dB at 30 Hz, and about –3dB at 42 Hz or so. See below for what the frequency response looks like:

1670835849110.png

Is the above representative of the type of filtering that you wish to include? Increasing the Q to 0.8 will also make the transition band a little steeper. Higher Q values than that seem to introduce a noticeable amount of peaking in the response of the low-shelf filter.

If you cascaded 2 low-shelf filters together, you would of course get a steeper slope after the upper corner frequency.

Last edited:

memphiskat

You could possibly ask the developer to add high-pass and low-pass filter options. It wouldn't be too difficult.

As Math Audio's Headphone EQ has the ability to display the frequency response curve of the EQ settings, you could give things a try as follows.

For the low-shelf filter to behave a bit like a high-pass filter, at least over a limited frequency range, you would need to apply a gain of say –12 dB, place the frequency at 20 Hz, and set the Q equal to 0.7071. This produces a response that is –6 dB at 20 Hz, and about –3 dB at 28 Hz or so.

Increasing the frequency setting to 30 Hz produces a response that is –6 dB at 30 Hz, and about –3dB at 42 Hz or so. See below for what the frequency response looks like:

View attachment 249429

Is the above representative of the type of filtering that you wish to include? Increasing the Q to 0.8 will also make the transition band a little steeper. Higher Q values than that seem to introduce a noticeable amount of peaking in the response of the low-shelf filter.

If you cascaded 2 low-shelf filters together, you would of course get a steeper slope after the upper corner frequency.
Thank you for the response! This is helpful. The peaking is an issue I was struggling with. I didn't know if there was a standard formula for converting a standard
high pass (or low pass) to a low shelf filter. For example I believe Maiky's eq utilized a 50hz high pass filter for the JBL a130's. I was trying to start at 40-50hz with the shelf
filter and that just wasn't working.

Last edited:

witwald

Forum Donor
@memphiskat I've had a further look at what you want to do. Another approach would be to use a peaking EQ in Headphone EQ. To get rid of the peak in the A130's low-frequency response, you could try the following settings: Filter type: Peaking | Frequency: 70 Hz | Gain: –1.0 dB | Q: 1.0. This would provide a relatively wide band of equalization, which would extend up to about 120 Hz or so, and of course below 70 Hz. The frequency response plot looks like:

1671692366113.png

The use of the parametric EQ would have a minimal effect on the A130's bass extension, but it would flatten the peak in the A130's low-frequency response. In your case, you could try different values of gain, say –2.0dB or –2.5dB or –3.0dB. That way you could determine the setting that best suits your listening needs.

Last edited:

GabrielPhoto

If I wanted to use these as atmos, is there an easy away to ceiling mount them or is it possible to drill them on the back or something?

375HP2482

For Atmos or other ceiling/wall mounting, the Stage A-120 might be better, as it contains mounting hardware.

Teeter

GabrielPhoto

375HP2482

If your ceiling is open joists I would span two with a flush inwall like the JBL Control 26.

Hi everyone.

It's my first post here in the ASR.

I've been reading a lot, and everything was really helpful for me. I've put together the following setup:

Wiim Pro
Topping Dx3 Pro+
Aiyima a07
JBL Stage a130

My doubt is for equalization.

The Wiim pro has a 10-band equalizer, which does no allow the use of the recommendations on the review.

If I adjust, in the Wiim Pro EQ, -4db in 1k and -5db in 16k, would I get something similar?

Thank you!

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Hi everyone.

I've been reading a lot, and everything was really helpful for me. I've put together the following setup:

Wiim Pro
Topping Dx3 Pro+
Aiyima a07
JBL Stage a130

The Wiim pro has a 10-band equalizer, which does no allow the use of the recommendations on the review.

If I adjust, in the Wiim Pro EQ, -4db in 1k and -5db in 16k, would I get something similar?

Thank you!
I beleive the current EQ in that is Graphic EQ, correct?
You really need a Parametric EQ, PEQ.
I beleive that feature is comming soon as an update to that Wiim Pro you have.

Graphic EQ and Parametric are quite a bit different, though at times in very certain situations you can come close to same results.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi everyone.

Wiim Pro
Topping Dx3 Pro+
Aiyima a07
JBL Stage a130

Thank you!
You could get a Minidsp Flex instead of the Topping DX3 Pro+ and get PEQ functionality as well.

375HP2482

Hi everyone.

Wiim Pro
Topping Dx3 Pro+
Aiyima a07
JBL Stage a130

Thank you!
I wouldn't worry about EQ/no EQ for this speaker. Having said that, a PEQ (in my case, the computer's Peace APO, highly recommended for computer audio) can be useful to tailor the sound for low listening levels and different mixes. If you can find one in the Wiim Pro (below), by all means play around with it.

If you feel like it, go for the -4 dB @ 1 kHz on the graphic -- don't worry bother with the 16 kHz.

The Wiim Pro website shows this:

Multiple EQ options

Cater to your listening taste by applying multiple EQ options including the 26 preset EQs, bass/treble adjustment, 10-band graphic EQ and parametric EQ.

However, when I browsed the User Manual there was no specific reference to parametric EQ.

DACslut

I absolutely LOVE my A130's. They blow away any competing offerings at the $130 TOTAL price I paid online (from Pawn America) in "like new" condition. Crutchfield still has them for $199.95 and even cheaper if you can score one of their open-box specials. Don't hesitate to get a pair if you're thinking about it or on the fence.

CrazyDwarf

Hey, how
My first post here. Came across this site while researching the JBL speakers (for my first setup). I was on the fence between these and a Klipsch RP front stage. I needed a smaller center channel (yea yea I'm aware) for my setup which really limited me. I was concerned about the JBLs because there wasn't much on them and everyone just warned to stay away from a center like JBL Stage a135c. But after reading the review on the here about the A130s I decided to pull the trigger hoping the a135c was at least decent. After setting everything up a couple weeks ago, I was happy with the results (much better than my old vizio soundbar) but felt like the sound could be better. So earlier tonight I decided to move the front speakers away from the wall to the front edge of the entertainment center, also moved the couch a few more inches away from the wall, and recalibrated with audyssey. And well the sound immediately and literally made my heart start fluttering and my brain tingle. Everything about the sound changed, even the bass. Never expected that and I'm in awe now. Looking forward to trying just a 2.1 setup now with music and see what kind of difference it makes there too.

Thanks for the review and helping me decide what to get!

5.1.2 setup with
Marantz NR1711
JBL A130s
JBL A135C
Cambridge Audio Minx 22 Min - surround
Polk RC60i - atmos
SVS SB-1000

Hello, can you please tell me, if you measured your RC60is? I mean, Polk's website states they are capable of 40hz output. My receiver crosses them at 250Hz consistently :) Thanks.

Top Bottom