• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Hiten

Indeed, I'd blame the resonances as ~ 900 Hz and 1.4 kHz
From the measurements in post #1 the port resonances are directly below this bump. Any clues to distinguish if it is port or woofer resonance contributing to the bump in measured response ?

Presently42

index.php
From my uneducated eyes, I see, that the first resonance is the woofer, whilst the second is the port - but maybe someone more cognisant in this field will be able to provide more insight.

dfuller

Major Contributor

Presently42

I see it in the woofer, port, and tweeter...
I think that's just sound bleeding in to the one from the other. Remember, that that these measurements are taken with the mic close to one driver - but not excluding the other drivers and ports.

Last edited:

Teeter

Today, I am giving the Stage A130 another chance. I recently replaced my Denon AVR with a 2020 model vs the old Denon 2015. The AVR speaker calibration, has an improvement over the 2015 model. So, we will see, over time, if I stay with the JBL or not. Maybe the more neutral sound will be more liking to my ears, on this second go around.

Well, I am keeping my JBL Stage A130 mains. The Klipsch R 51M mains, will find another home, if I can sell them. Having the stock Stage A130's, are great for DD movies and MP3 music. I just needed more comparison time and the JBL's are more neutral, which I now appreciate. :)

mrpunkk

amrim can do a new test with the modification made by ObjectAudio???

new fill would make some improvement in port resonance??

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apparently this particular model is very popular in Japan and rightly so.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see it in the woofer, port, and tweeter...

From the measurements in post #1 the port resonances are directly below this bump. Any clues to distinguish if it is port or woofer resonance contributing to the bump in measured response ?

because it's a cabinet resonance, neither of these 3.

I plugged the port and it didn't change the response there at all.

when Amir measures the nearfield response he cannot isolate the cabinet.

mrpunkk

because it's a cabinet resonance, neither of these 3.

when Amir measures the nearfield response he cannot isolate the cabinet.
new fill would make some improvement in cabinet resonance??

Hiten

thanks gentlemen,
if cabinet resonance a simple bracing on side panel and rear panel ?

did you take measurement of how much reduced low end extension was after plugging the port. It may help crossover point if sub is added.
Regards

MarkWinston

Im so torn right now... JBL A130 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.2. Two totally different sounding speakers, and Iove how they both play.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
did you take measurement of how much reduced low end extension was after plugging the port. It may help crossover point if sub is added.
Regards

I don't think I have measurements right now but it was significant, I cross my A130 with my subwoofers at 110Hz anyway for minimal distortion. Above 100Hz the A130 are clean as a whistle for their size and cost.

Ralferator

Well, I am keeping my JBL Stage A130 mains. The Klipsch R 51M mains, will find another home, if I can sell them. Having the stock Stage A130's, are great for DD movies and MP3 music. I just needed more comparison time and the JBL's are more neutral, which I now appreciate. :)

Neutrality is something that doesn't stick out so that's understandable.

Teeter

I don't think I have measurements right now but it was significant, I cross my A130 with my subwoofers at 110Hz anyway for minimal distortion. Above 100Hz the A130 are clean as a whistle for their size and cost.

Ya, my crossover is at 120hz with the A130's and sub. I experimented and tried at 80hz....nano

MarkWinston

For music I cross it over at 50hz - 55h even with speakers that have 5 inch drivers. I bump up the volume on the sub a wee bit though. For movies I cross over at 90 - 100.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised you guys aren't liking 80 Hz. It must be your rooms forcing a higher XO?

bookshelves can't really play below 100Hz cleanly, me and my partner are sensitive to different kinds of distortion so we both agreed that the speakers need to be crossed higher.

Also my JBLs are my living room speakers, they're tucked in a cabinet (for maximum WAF) and covered with thick Basotect foam. the higher they play the better as the foam stops absorbing below 200Hz.

1626710862990.png

Top Bottom