• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A130 Review (speaker)

Vasr

Major Contributor
Very nice for the price and EQ friendly.

The high-treble elevation is going to be fatiguing/annoying for anyone with ear sensitivity above 12khz. Rest won't notice it. I strongly suspect it is intentional with some speakers as they tend to be perceived as "detailed" and/or "sparkle" in short auditions, attracts the younger crowd for their typical musical tastes but is fatiguing for long listens. Sort of like the intentional "red push" in old TVs to be calibrated as soon as you bring it home.

Tks

Major Contributor
More proof that low distortion usually brings with it, a result where the speaker does fine in other areas.

This is even better xo soldering there are just two peaks, and when EQ'd the speaker has an even easier time producing the rest of the range.

Goes deep into bass with low distortion as well. What are woofer designers doing if not aiming for stats like this honestly?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
btw, what's that eq software..
As explained, it is the equalization ("DSP") in my Roon player. But the parameters as listed should be compatible with any software that allowed Parametric EQ.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the upper mid had the accentuation that I expected. This actually makes female vocals sound more detailed and more airy. But it was a bit much so I reached in my EQ tool and knocked those two resonances down plus the one at 15 kHz:
eight_col_ali_liston.jpg

Not only did the first two notches clean up the response but it made the sound of the speaker super clean and effortless. There was a level of fidelity that was giving me goosebumps!
5563a980e7c7f.image.jpg

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Another knock-out review, Amir!

I can't believe it's only CDN$262 (US$204 equivalent) here in Canada.

The panther family is growing...
How about putting a panther to the left of the speaker as a 'before EQ rating', and 2nd panther to the right of the speaker as 'after EQ rating'? Just a thought...

witchdoctor

they got many in this series, all budget, a190, 180, even 12" subs

btw, what's that eq software..

I have my man cave set up with a 5.1.4 setup of the JBL 230's and it is amazing,
230-L and R, 225 C, 210 surrounds, and 250p subwoofer. Those are the JBL Control CRV's height channels. This isn't just a system that's "good for the money", its just good :). I think the 130's MSRP is a little lower than the 230's but the SQ is obviously there:
Man Cave Front.jpg

boselover61

Finally the review i have been waiting for. The speaker measures great as i had hoped. I listen to them with grills on so they are a bit less bright so might not need too much EQ. JBL does it again with a great measured and subjectively great passive bookshelf speakers.

Its a shame we never got a chance to measure the JBL arena bookshelves, especially the Jbl arena a130 with an 7 inch woofer since they are discontinued. Dr Toole said in one of his blog that the arena bookshelfs, within the adequate listening level are as good as any speakers out there regardless of price. Maybe someone has one they can send to Amir.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I have my man cave set up with a 5.1.4 setup of the JBL 230's and it is amazing,
230-L and R, 225 C, 210 surrounds, and 250p subwoofer. Those are the JBL Control CRV's height channels. This isn't just a system that's "good for the money", its just good :). I think the 130's MSRP is a little lower than the 230's but the SQ is obviously there:
View attachment 98330
That's a little man cave lol

MKreroo

Another knock-out review, Amir!

I can't believe it's only CDN$262 (US$204 equivalent) here in Canada.

The panther family is growing...
How about putting a panther to the left of the speaker as a 'before EQ rating', and 2nd panther to the right of the speaker as 'after EQ rating'? Just a thought...
where you found that? Gonna need to decide between this and 305 lol (similar price for pair right now)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Last edited:

MKreroo

LearningToSmile

Nice, I briefly got excited because that hopefully means other speakers from this series are similarly good, and I would seriously consider getting the A190's - but sadly, it looks like the whole series is not available in Europe, unless my google is failing.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the bump in frequency is caused by port resonance, is it truly as simple as eq that peak down? If so, is it so that the port resonance will stay the same, but the woofer itself will be EQ'ed?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the bump in frequency is caused by port resonance, is it truly as simple as eq that peak down? If so, is it so that the port resonance will stay the same, but the woofer itself will be EQ'ed?

Both will be EQ'd! But yeh, you're essentially correct. There's no way to EQ the port resonance without EQing the woofer.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Can't currently get these in the UK as said above. The upper mid peak may well work fine in smaller rooms witht he speakers close to a back wall (excusable in a cheap speaker but apparently not in ATC 19's and related pro versions!).

I wonder how these JBL passives with sensible inexpensive amp would compare to the internationally available 305p's? Tweeter hiss ain't an issue for me now as Tinnitus takes over at very low high frequency levels but still ;)

Top Bottom