• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage A120 Review By Erin/Hardisj.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Or, based on the unit to unit variations between the A130 you tested and the one Amir tested, maybe he got a pair that actually measure much better? Either way, as you wrote, if he can test against a pair that are known to measure well, it will help him to know what sound profile he prefers.

Possibly. But based on the other discussion, it seems JBL tweaked the design.

BagOfDoughnuts

Or maybe they do. Maybe you just like what the A120’s have to offer. Maybe you like a non-neutral sound; boosted bass and highs. And that’s fine. That’s the purpose of the data: to help you determine what you do like and make decisions based on that. It might also be prudent to try speakers that do measure well, though, to make sure the hypothesis above is correct. Who knows, maybe you’ll find you don’t like the A120’s compared to a more neutral speaker. Or maybe you still will. But, like I said, that is precisely why the data is useful.

Just something to think about. :)
I agree with comments that the graphs do matter, but for a low price system, it sounds good. I plugged the ports, have them mounted in a bookcase (not ideal, I know), and used an equalizer to trim the high frequencies. I appreciate the tests you do I look at the sites reviews all the time.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just purchased the A120's along with the A125 center and bought some Klipsch Synergy S-2 surrounds and a REL T3 on ebay for a total of $550. I set them up and they actually sound fantastic for a budget home theater. The JBL's sound great. Voices are clear they don't muddy up on complex parts of home theater. Sometimes the graphs don't tell the whole story. I use them for 90% home theater.
First, glad you are liking them.

Keep in mind our perceptions of speakers are largely relative to what else we've heard. Measurements are objective.

BagOfDoughnuts

First, glad you are liking them.

Keep in mind our perceptions of speakers are largely relative to what else we've heard. Measurements are objective.
In the past I had B&W and Paradigm speakers, both which are perceived to be a little enhanced on the highs. I guess I like that sound. Now that I am a single income earner for my family, my budget was cut for my home theater. I had gone to a sound bar but was very disappointed with it. Glad I'm back to a real home theater set up.

Richard Berg

Which discussion?
There's been a fair amount of related traffic in JBL threads:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe this is just ownership bias creeping in, but I'm more optimistic about these measurements than I was at first glance. Both DIs are very low and smooth. Distortion at 96dB is incredibly low for a cheap 8.5lb box. Elevated tweeter response will be useful for punching thru fabric (soffit mount). Just need to make sure floor & ceiling are well treated.

Assuming bass extension and out-of-the-box tonality aren't concerning, seems like the only major (unfixable) downside is the nonlinear compression of 100db+ peaks.

Now to just finish the darn build-out so I can hook things up & listen.
Their strengths(directivity and distortion) mean they should still be a great value with good EQ.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I tested JBL Stage A120p (Sub) very average performance.

Top Bottom