• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL Stage 125C Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 104 58.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 65 36.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not really a broadband directivity speaker. Besides it is type of horn speaker (waveguide=short horn profile). Anyway, that's a different topic and doesn't belong here.

My point is that using a center speaker with a directivity as poor as this, and which is the case with many center speakers, generally isn't necessarily better than dropping the center speaker all together. But in order for the image to be stable with only two front speakers, it's important with a uniform beamwidth and avoid early arriving reflections.
Sorry I misunderstood you earlier, i thought you meant replace typical center speakers with constant directivity speakers.

Eurasian

Forum Donor
The Dunlavy HRCC was one of the few properly engineered center speakers, but it was huge!

1638347988601.jpeg

BigSweeny

Thanks for the review Amir.

I saw the first graphs with the uneven response and frequency dip and was giving this the benefit of the doubt. "Maybe it sounds fine for $120" I thought. But as soon as I saw that horizontal directivity I scrolled back up and cast the headless panther vote. Woof, this is rough.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Is that even worth testing more then ?
Well, we have more coming. One way or the other, we are going to get to the bottom of this. :)

H-713

I'm the one who rated it "fine". Why? Because while it is useless for its intended use as a center speaker, a pair of these, at $240, would likely have very satisfactory performance as mains (especially at this pricepoint) when turned vertical. Some EQ might be needed depending on the room, but otherwise it's fine.

It's a decent MTM speaker (actually, a great one for the price).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm the one who rated it "fine". Why? Because while it is useless for its intended use as a center speaker, a pair of these, at $240, would likely have very satisfactory performance as mains (especially at this pricepoint) when turned vertical. Some EQ might be needed depending on the room, but otherwise it's fine.

It's a decent MTM speaker (actually, a great one for the price).

and then you have Kali LP-6 V2 that does this way better for 400$ a pair amplification included. I think your definition of 'fine' would change after that. Specially since both speakers are probably assembled by Asian kids anyway.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
and then you have Kali LP-6 V2 that does this way better for 400$ a pair amplification included. I think your definition of 'fine' would change after that. Specially since both speakers are probably assembled by Asian kids anyway.
Kali will not remotely have the power capability of this speaker.

nagster

amirm
When you started the measurement, you should have thought, "Oh, again ...". Thank you for continuing.

What is the best center SP if you have a lot of budget?In your experience or in your imagination.

What if you rotate Genelec Ones 90 degrees?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kali will not remotely have the power capability of this speaker.
Thank you by the way for taking the time to do this review while you're not feeling your best.

Do you think there is a major difference between a 6.5" woofer and 2 * 5.25" ?

H-713

Thank you by the way for taking the time to do this review while you're not feeling your best.

Do you think there is a major difference between a 6.5" woofer and 2 * 5.25" ?
A pair of 5.25" woofers would have roughly 30% more radiating area than a single 6.5, unless my 3:00 AM math is off.

buzwork

So, in short the MTM design doesn't work for center speaker.
Which is just a confirmation of theory.
@amirm Is that even worth testing more then ?
I'll be dropping off a Revel Concerta2 C25 center channel later this week when I pick up my GoldenEar BRX, Hegel H95, and JBL 125C that Amir measured recently. Maybe it will measure better ;)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am surprised so many are voting this one as a terrible speaker. For 120$ bucks this is solid performance. Nothing too crucial except for the hole between 300 and 800 hz, so come on people. The horizontal directivity issue is just a MTM thing that is almost unavoidable physically. Just compare it to the vertical directivity. Place the speaker vertically and it's pretty good! (Though pretty bulky as center then).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am surprised so many are voting this one as a terrible speaker. For 120$ bucks this is solid performance. Nothing too crucial except for the hole between 300 and 800 hz, so come on people. The horizontal directivity issue is just a MTM thing that is almost unavoidable physically. Just compare it to the vertical directivity. Place the speaker vertically and it's pretty good! (Though pretty bulky as center then).
I wonder if the 2.1 score has anything to do with it. ;)

anphex

Forum Donor
I wonder if the 2.1 score has anything to do with it. ;)
I am not saying it is good, I am saying it's ok relative to the price.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The Emotiva B1+ is $5 more and better in almost every way, including as a center, because if you turn the JBL thing on its side it's 18" high lol, and yeah nobody is going to do that. If a design is bad you don't excuse it with "oh that's unavoidable", you don't produce the design. And Emotiva manages the 3-way C1+ which is only 3/4" taller than this thing.

I know the 2-way MTM is the "standard cheap center" but IMO it's lazy. Manufacturers can do better.

anphex

Forum Donor
If I would be using a center, by all means it wouldn't be an MTM. I'd use a regular 2 or 3 way speaker.
99% of all manufacturers use MTM as center because probably they fear consumers wouldn't by something this unsymmetrical for design reasons. And to be honest they are kind of right. I think it's just so weird that people prefer symmetry above technical rationality to such a degree.

Given that none of the 2 way designs seem to be very good and the 3 way ones are a fair bit pricier. Is using a bookshelf speaker for a centre channel a better way to go? I ordered the jbl a130 bookshelf speakers for front L and R. A centre channel liek the infinity is out of my budget.

Im planning to find a surround receiver used. And I'm good with just left, right and center channels to go under my projector screen for now.

anphex

Forum Donor
Given that none of the 2 way designs seem to be very good and the 3 way ones are a fair bit pricier. Is using a bookshelf speaker for a centre channel a better way to go? I ordered the jbl a130 bookshelf speakers for front L and R. A centre channel liek the infinity is out of my budget.

Im planning to find a surround receiver used. And I'm good with just left, right and center channels to go under my projector screen for now.

I think yes. Just place a bookshelf speaker horizontally if you can't place it upright and you're good to go, probably almost always with better performance than with an MTM speaker. I just may look weird at first.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted "Poor" on this, nearly voted it "Not Terrible" due to the low low price and also initially I thought it measured better than the other JBL that was measured recently, but no when I checked, it's not really any better.

bobopich

CE8E8E1F-2591-4994-AB46-05AD166EF6C7.jpeg
I have this speakers from Magnat, THX Cinema ceries, they say they are optimised with klippel for horizontal and vertical disspertion. Interesting to see some real measurments but I think you dont have them in US. Probably some Arendals will show if there is really a design flow in MTM horizontal placement.

Top Bottom