• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SRX835P Reviewed (Powered Monitor)

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
ohh damm this review resembles my correlation with awful harsh, bright and distorted sound from PA systems at shaddy venues when I was a teenager haha

kipman725

This speaker seems to be let down by the 3" Ti dome compression driver which has resonant behaviour, high THD and breakup. However in PA some people (not me) actually like the sound of Ti dome breakup believing it gives a HF that is more audible at far distances. This is such a prevalent viewpoint that B&C produced a modern Ti dome driver which deliberately has a massive resonant peak:
https://www.bcspeakers.com/en/products/hf-driver/1-3/8/de910tn

Attached are some measurements of a P-Audio BM-D446 on a PH-4220 horn at 2.83V. This is a 1.75" Ti dome compression driver with a polymer surround so should breakup higher in frequency and with better damping. Measurments are in room and time gated. Although the y axis is log scaled you can see that it does not have this high frequency spike.
1627465364394.png

1627465340214.png

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This one looks like it would EQ well, as LW, ER and PR seem to be in fairly good agreement overall. Spinorama is not likely to reflect low-end and low midrange response entirely accurately as these would normally be sitting on the ground, not floating in thin air (but that's basically an issue for all floorstanders).

I agree treble distortion is on the high side, but it only gets truly bad when we are well underway to 10 kHz where output requirements tend to be fairly modest. Compression drivers in horns are rarely a pretty sight (H2 levels are just inherently high due to air compression) but not sure why things are going south the way they are up there.
ohh damm this review resembles my correlation with awful harsh, bright and distorted sound from PA systems at shaddy venues when I was a teenager haha
Those would have looked way worse I bet.

kipman725

This one looks like it would EQ well, as LW, ER and PR seem to be in fairly good agreement overall. Spinorama is not likely to reflect low-end and low midrange response entirely accurately as these would normally be sitting on the ground, not floating in thin air (but that's basically an issue for all floorstanders).

The SRC835P has a 35mm pole cup and fly points, it would normally be pole mounted, flown or ground stacked so that the treble horn was above head height to ensure good projection into the crowd. I guess at home you could use it as a floor-stander but this isn't the intended use.

King_Pin

Thanks Amir. I have wondered how their passive PA speakers would be as a high sensitivity load for a flea powered amp because Klipsch Heresy and Cornwall do well in that application and are similar to PA speakers in design. I love the aesthetic of the grey paper cone on these JBLs too.

Unfortunately this is worse than I had expected, especially having looked over a lot of the graphs published on the JBL website.

Quite strange not to have a default DSP setting in place, but perhaps this means we get to see something closer to the passive siblings, making the review much more useful.

The super narrow directivity is also bad for any kind of HiFi, unfortunately.

Now can someone send a JBL 4722n cinema speaker for testing? :)

I had 3 of the 4648's. Got them for $250 each. :D I played them and then gutted them for the 2226h 15" drivers and the horn for another project.
The shop next to me came in the next day and asked if there was an earthquake or something cause they had pictures, vases,
P1010012 copy.jpg
shelves and much more covering the floor. Happy I had them gone before they came in.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
I recall a good sale on the Eons last year, around 25'% off. Not sure if Amir gets a discount, but might be worth waiting.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
being biased against PA speakers is like saying, I’m against getting a crowd together to listen to audio content. You can be against using them for their unintended use, of personal listening but it’s not being « biased », PA stands for Public Adress, how can someone be against that?
Guess you did get the point, I was making ...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL SRX835P "PA/DJ" powered speaker.

[...]

I can't recommend the JBL SRX 835P for hifi use. If you are going to use it outdoor to throw parties and such, it may be OK. I don't know.
@amirm Thank you for this review. It is nice to see how modern PA speakers measure. However, I am at a loss with your subjective comments. It is a PA speaker and you do not recommend it for Hi-Fi. It is not a word I normally use but nothing else will fit to this moment: Duh!

Meanwhile, you think it may be OK for outdoor or parties, which the speaker is designed for and marketed as such. What do you expect such a comment achieve other than make us think you are not trusting the manufacturer?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Idk about you, but any speaker at $1,699.. the least I'd expect for it is to sound good.
Have you heard them working at their intended use?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had 3 of the 4648's. Got them for $250 each. :D I played them and then gutted them for the 2226h 15" drivers and the horn for another project.
The shop next to me came in the next day and asked if there was an earthquake or something cause they had pictures, vases, View attachment 144027shelves and much more covering the floor. Happy I had them gone before they came in.
Do you know what LFE means?

levimax

Major Contributor
@amirm Thank you for this review. It is nice to see how modern PA speakers measure. However, I am at a loss with your subjective comments. It is a PA speaker and you do not recommend it for Hi-Fi. It is not a word I normally use but nothing else will fit to this moment: Duh!

Meanwhile, you think it may be OK for outdoor or parties, which the speaker is designed for and marketed as such. What do you expect such a comment achieve other than make us think you are not trusting the manufacturer?

This site has been helpful to me regarding measurements of "pro-gear" such as studio monitors, amps, and ADC's.... if "pro-gear" can measure well and sound subjectively good in a domestic setting it can be a relative bargain compared to "Hi-Fi" products. In the case of this speaker it would have been interesting if the measured performance showed that they could be used / EQ'd to be a kind of "cheap M2". Obviously this is not the case which is useful information to me.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The shop next to me came in the next day and asked if there was an earthquake or something cause they had pictures, vases, View attachment 144027shelves and much more covering the floor. Happy I had them gone before they came in.
I am very curious how you got them for $250 each.

monkeyboy

The 10" version of the EON6xx looks reasonably price with a descent FR...nice to see it compared with something like the Kali 8"

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This site has been helpful to me regarding measurements of "pro-gear" such as studio monitors, amps, and ADC's.... if "pro-gear" can measure well and sound subjectively good in a domestic setting it can be a relative bargain compared to "Hi-Fi" products. In the case of this speaker it would have been interesting if the measured performance showed that they could be used / EQ'd to be a kind of "cheap M2". Obviously this is not the case which is useful information to me.
I agree with the objective, measurement parts of the review. It is very useful. My comment was on the subjective part as I clearly wrote.

derbidrd

I still want to see beringer b215xl reviewed after I read the long avsforum topic about how these speakers are killers for home cinema application.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I still want to see beringer b215xl reviewed after I read the long avsforum topic about how these speakers are killers for home cinema application.
Seems like nobody stocks them....

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

a PA Speaker nice, I hope there are more to come.

I think the speakers will sound much better than a lot of people think by having a look at the measurements only.
The distance will also play an important role to judge the on axis frequency response, since the horns provide not a spherical directivity and the bass did. So there is a difference in spl drop per distance.

Best
Thomas

Top Bottom