• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SRX835P Reviewed (Powered Monitor)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Me too. The kind of results to reinforce the bias against P.A. speakers.
being biased against PA speakers is like saying, I’m against getting a crowd together to listen to audio content. You can be against using them for their unintended use, of personal listening but it’s not being « biased », PA stands for Public Adress, how can someone be against that?

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Its not a hifi speaker, but looking at the FR it does well in the midrange. The trouble starts in the treble over 10k. What imo looks much more worse than it realy is. That shelfing should be fixable. And 4-5m away that upper treble should go down by it self a bit. So i think nothing that could take out the fun out of the party.

Last edited:

Weebster

I like their sense of humor:
View attachment 143935

"Easy portability" and 85 pounds don't go in the same sentence in my book! Still, it has nice set of handles on each side which is more than I can say for consumer speakers.

Back in the day I had a 20" Sony CRT TV that I considered "portable"... I think it weighed about 80lbs. LOL.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
85lbs is nothing compared to the weight of some pro gear and weight of everything that goes into setting up a show on site.
Took a one weekend "roadie" job for an event back in the day. It was unreal how much work it was. Wasn't even a big show.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
2000 Watts In an ultra heavy-duty speaker for 1699$ and we should expect it to sound good? Of course it shouldn't be recommended for HIFI, these things will never be hifi, it's not what they are designed/marketed for.
I agree.
I think this is right on the money for a good smallish to medium venue PA set-up.
For home use I am still curious about the JBL EON line. I have a feeling they are more appropriate. Very affordable as well.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Its not a hifi speaker, but looking at the FR it does well in the midrange. The trouble starts in the treble over 10k. What imo looks much more worse than it realy is. That shelfing should be fixable. And 4-5m away that upper treble should go down by it self a bit. So i think nothing that could take out the fun out of the party.
This is a particularly important point. Air attenuation of the treble region at the outdoor distances these are designed to be used for will be significant, and serve to tame the rise in the upper registers.

Tks

Major Contributor
2000 Watts In an ultra heavy-duty speaker for 1699$ and we should expect it to sound good? Of course it shouldn't be recommended for HIFI, these things will never be hifi, it's not what they are designed/marketed for.

Idk about you, but any speaker at $1,699.. the least I'd expect for it is to sound good.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Idk about you, but any speaker at $1,699.. the least I'd expect for it is to sound good.

We should be fair to this speaker.

First get the grills of.
Then PEQ them to optimum. (Its onboard so no reason not to use it)
Then judge.

At the moment i think its just not fair how it is judget.

3125b

Major Contributor
If this is so bad at 1500€, then that explaines why the 150€ PA speakers are what they are :)

retro

The Ikea speaker looks a lot better than this..:)

But I'm sure these would sound great when eq'ed..even for hifi..hoping amir gets them up to the listeng room..

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A listening session would be nice, to see if very narrow directivity can be ok.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a particularly important point. Air attenuation of the treble region at the outdoor distances these are designed to be used for will be significant, and serve to tame the rise in the upper registers.
It does not explain the treble distortion though, which is what confuses me most, at the levels tested this should have been cruising. Mind you a lot of PA speakers sound like they are quite distorted even when not overdriven.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bring this speaker outside and play them against your home domestic speaker that costs around $2K.

KEF R5?
A domestic speaker couldn’t keep up; pack it away before it dies or someone complains how weak it sounds.

Horse for Courses. Speaker design (or any engineering, for that matter) is about tradeoffs have we understood that yet?

Last edited:

kyle_neuron

A good comparison would be the equivalent sized Yamaha DZR or QSC Kxx.2 if anyone Stateside is able to ping one over to Amir for play time.

Do you live somewhere sunny @amirm ? If the stairs are a pain with speakers at 35 Kg, then perhaps invest in a pair of K&M tripod stands and test PA speakers in the garden? It’s a fair test of their typical usage after all.

My apologies to your neighbours in advance.

turbotuff

Forum Donor
According to JBL's measurements, the EON615 appears to have a better response. At a fraction of the price, might be worth testing?

Screenshot_20210728-033306.png

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Those big jbl woofers are impressive. These would great for a forest rave paired with some honking massive subs. Many happy revelry's

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
According to JBL's measurements, the EON615 appears to have a better response. At a fraction of the price, might be worth testing?
I forgot about these. Seems like they at least have modern waveguide design. Let me think about buying one. :)

Top Bottom