• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDR-35 AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 63.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 90 31.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
As I understand it, Logic16 is, or was until recently, broken. Maybe check on other forums.

For that matter, the bugs were never ironed out of its immediate predecessor on this AVR’s previous version (badged “Lexicon”). That generation also had other mind-boggling limitations, such as initially broken bass management and no support for on wall height speakers.
Well, I guess that makes me feel a little better....

But the costs ever since the release of the MC12 have kept me out of that family...

Hence my looking forward hopefully, to Auro3D becoming more prevalent/widespread, and making its way into the US$1500 price bracket... (although I may stretch up beyond that... if the RoomEQ software develops interestingly...)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, nice! Then I guess it’s a good idea to set it to 4 ohms on my Denon 6500 (no amp disconnect feature) to limit how hot the amps get (I use external NAD m28 amp)
I would think that ECO mode does limit the heat too when the internal amps are not used.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
long time no see an AVR review and it turns to be a disappointment again :(

DrStranger

Back in April, Yamaha Aventage RX-AxA AVRs finally got a firmware update that enabled 4k120 and 8k60 across all HDMI 2.1 ports. There is supposed to be another update coming this month that will enable ALLM (Auto Low Latency mode) and VRR (Variable Refresh Rate), but there is no date for the support of QMS (Quick Media Switching) and QFT (Quick Frame Transport) yet. These AVRs are said to run cooler than those from Denon and Marantz.
Oh, this is news to me?! I read that Yamaha has issue with the HDMI, but that might have been the VxA only?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
IMHO this is one of the best-looking AVRs I've seen - love that front panel display and design.

Gotta agree, the design is simple, elegant and minimalist. Considering all the complexity it is hiding, that is an achievement. Pity the performance is not in line with the look.

D

Deleted member 50971

I have to say it… I’ve been running the same Marantz AVP for nearly a decade, and it’s done everything that I’ve asked it to every single time, and with Audyssey XT32 it sounds great. It even does 2-channel very well, but there was talk of it only putting 2 V out from XLR, and Benchmark actually did an article on one very similar to mine, saying that it was not capable to drive one of their amplifiers like the LA4 was.

I know the Marantz gets flamed around here but it just works, and even with the new ones with the SINAD of 93 I doubt we’re hearing the difference between that one and one with a SINAD of 100. My point is you can hardly go wrong with the Denon or the Marantz, but it has to be XLR out for me, and the Marantz had an XLR input also. There has been talk of mine converting the XLR to single-ended, but it sounds great to me. I even put my Marantz on a Nobsound XLR switcher along with the Benchmark LA4 that I have, and switching back and forth they were virtually undistinguishable. It was sighted but it convinced me that I’d never be able to pick one over the other. Maybe the Benchmark sounded a little better up top… maybe.

So for me a stable AVR/AVP is the most important, and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with mine since early 2013 is one of the HDMI inputs don’t work.

Don’t get me wrong the LA4 is amazing, and I’ll keep that forever.

So what would I replace my Marantz with? The anthem avm 70? Lots of problems with anthem not doing what they say they’re going to do from what I understand. Personally I’m waiting for Marantz to get their act together a little better, and I would not mind having a SINAD of 100+ IMO it’s time to get rid of the hdams and do a complete overhaul.

JBL just showed how not to make an AVR, and it’s time for them and others to step up to the plate by making a good and STABLE mid-priced AVR/AVP

Edit;

By the way when I compared my Marantz with the benchmark, I had Audyssey disengaged.

I also acknowledge and agree with the fact that I did not do the test properly, so I’m going to have the wife come down one day and have her do the switching for me. I doubt she’ll go for being blindfolded lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Gotta agree, the design is simple, elegant and minimalist. Considering all the complexity it is hiding, that is an achievement. Pity the performance is not in line with the look.
Yea, everyone needs a high SINAD amp to make the sure the explosions in a Micheal Bay film are accurate as possible.

JBL knows their market audience and put the appropriate specs into this design for the intended purpose.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, everyone needs a high SINAD amp to make the sure the explosions in a Micheal Bay film are accurate as possible.

JBL knows their market audience and put the appropriate specs into this design for the intended purpose.

That’s a silly misrepresentation of what John was saying, and you know it. Not to mention, it’s not a $3000 AVR. It’s an $8200 AVR.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That’s a silly misrepresentation of what John was saying, and you know it. Not to mention, it’s not a $3000 AVR. It’s an $8200 AVR.
Even at 3 grand, I don´t think asking for a certified CD quality sound is a lot to ask for. Basically because other manufacturers have reached that level even at lower prices.

D

Deleted member 50971

Even at 3 grand, I don´t think asking for a certified CD quality sound is a lot to ask for. Basically because other manufacturers have reached that level even at lower prices.
That’s the truth… Denon almost has the market cornered, and maybe one or two more companies, but literally that’s it in the low priced to mid priced region. I would love for Denon to bring an AVP back, they used to make a beauty. I have all outboard amplification, and really need XLR out. But please Denon don’t forget to us an XLR input… and keep it balanced internally.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Are there many device that can feed an attenuated digital signal over Toslink? Personally I never used Toslink that way and I fail to see the benefit of that. This JBL volume control is digital anyway right? What would be a typical case where you send a lower than 90 dBFS signal over? Most CD Players or Network streamers don't have a variable digital out but of course I didn't use every devices out there.

PeteL

Major Contributor
That’s the truth… Denon almost has the market cornered, and maybe one or two more companies, but literally that’s it in the low priced to mid priced region. I would love for Denon to bring an AVP back, they used to make a beauty. I have all outboard amplification, and really need XLR out. But please Denon don’t forget to us an XLR input… and keep it balanced internally.
What benefit do you find in keeping a balanced all trough the electronics?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Yea, that came out wrong.
JBL designed it with those specs to save production money. They knew their target audience and for it's intended purpose, it works.
I agree that for $8200, it should have better a lot specs, but few have the test equipment to expose the real performance.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh, I agree, believe me! I was just trying to be generous in making the point.

D

Deleted member 50971

What benefit do you find in keeping a balanced all trough the electronics?
Full 4 V output? Our host talks about balanced outs being more high-performance, and better specs… Even if it’s just in graphs I want to know that I’m getting the best performance. Can I hear it? I don’t know but I like it.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Let me clarify.. I want a balanced input what it does after that I have no idea, but I know I don’t get any ground loops with balanced cables.

Easier to route, more secure locking connector.

Edit;

So in all of our balance gear does it always get converted the single ended?

Let me ask you… in all of our balanced gear does it get converted the single ended and a 2 V output?
Both ways are done, we all want balanced inputs and balanced outputs. Balanced in its most accepted definition refer to the connections and that is where noise and ground loops problem are solved. but you asked about fully balanced internally. It should be more, semantically, "fully differential design internally". If you ask me if a design have balanced in and balanced out, it's a balanced device. Keeping both differential all trough, maybe, but it haven't been demonstrated that it offers better performance. It's more electronics, potentially more heat, potentially added noise, but both approach are being done. You should get the 4V output if a balanced out is made properly, no need to keep both signal all trough.

D

Deleted member 50971

Both ways are done, we all want balanced inputs and balanced outputs. Balanced in its most accepted definition refer to the connections and that is where noise and ground loops problem are solved. but you asked about fully balanced internally. It should be more, semantically, "fully differential design internally". If you ask me if a design have balanced in and balanced out, it's a balanced device. Keeping both differential all trough, maybe, but it haven't been demonstrated that it offers better performance. It's more electronics, potentially more heat, potentially added noise, but both approach are being done. You should get the 4V output if a balanced out is made properly, no need to keep both signal all trough.
Understood, I appreciate learning thank you.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to Amir for such an in depth review. AVR’s and Processors are a huge amount of work and they provide a tone of value to consumers. Two days of work. It is easy to take this for granted but we shouldn’t. One of the most useful bits of info in these AVR/Processor reviews, which I think started in either the Denon x3500 review or the NAD T758 review was the graph showing the performance not at a specific output, but over a range. While it would be nice and easy if manufacturers simply would get to 2v for unbalanced and 4v to balanced, many just don’t. With the info below you can then look for better matching amps. There are some options for amps with gain of 28/29 that would work fine on such devices from Outlaw and Emotiva. I could be wrong but I even think @peng had posted a list at some point. This data ends up reaching quite a few people in setting up their system optimally and at the same time shines a light on various brands that should do better with relatively simple fixes such as being able to disconnect amps/reassign amps, have better filters etc…

12E40137-227C-440F-83E3-23284DB0BEC7.png

Top Bottom