• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDR-35 AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 63.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 90 31.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, you can, using Dante.

Also, it has only 7 amps, so if one could assign channels at will, one could assign the output’s that are not backed by amps. Don’t know if that is supported though.

All in all, a poor showing, as expected really :facepalm:
Just noticed that last night. Don't understand why they are marketing this as having '16 channels of processing" when it's apparent it's really a 7.1 receiver. Even the SDR 55, as I understand it, mererly has the capability of sending channels beyond the 7.1 to outside amplifiers. So they are basically charging $8.25 k for a processor that will allow the end user to decide whether they want to assign two chanels beyond the 5.1 to Lb, Rb for a legacy 7.1 or to use those to bi-amp the front speakers, or else use them at Lh, Rh in Atmos, Dts-x and Auro 3D setups. In other words a 5.1.2 setup at best, that't being advertised as 16 channels.

If I bought this thinking I was getting a full on Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D machine, I'd prolly be taking JBL and whoever sold this to me to court.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never managed to fit more than 5.1 in any apartment or house I lived in , even when I lived alone :)
You must have relatively close sidewalls to have side channels and if your just one guy 5.1 will work for one good seat.

I would consider a nice AVP for the Dirac and uppmixing , where still waiting for a good one at decent price.

Krobar

To sum it up:

Poor Product. Poor Value ... JBL too often doesn't seem to understand their own value and quality.
Take some different and smaller brands: Topping, Gnelec, Neumann, or Kef... You buy one product from these brands, quality is almost certain, and superlative performance not a surprise...
JBL? A crapshoot... Impossibly great products with a price too low to believe: LSR 308 or relatively expensive: JBL M2 or middle of the road: JBL 708 or HDI ...
And this nonsense for $8500.oo or those:
81190ihv61S._AC_SX679_.jpg

or

81mOB7n8TIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yep .. Same Brand and badge and ...

Peace.

Harman own a bunch of different brands. JBL and JBL Synthesis are different brands (Different distribution, different support teams and as you just showed quite different products). It is the Harman Luxury Group of brands which share quite a lot (Arcam, Revel, JBL Synthesis, Mark Levinson & Lexicon). It seems nearly all reviews on here show the HLG speakers perform well but HLG electronics perform poorly.

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't understand why they are marketing this as having '16 channels of processing" when it's apparent it's really a 7.1 receiver.
Okay, I'll bite. How would you describe something like this that has 16 channels of processing?

It's a 16-channel processor with 7 amplifiers.

I think that's in concept a perfectly reasonable product. You don't necessarily have to stick to the endpoints of "amps = channels" or "amps = 0".

My main complaint would be that it seems that 5 of the amplifiers are locked to L/C/R/SL/SR channels. I don't think you could have superior external amps take on the main channels, and assign all its onboard amps to heights and rears.

Even the SDR 55, as I understand it, mererly has the capability of sending channels beyond the 7.1 to outside amplifiers.
The SDP-55 (there is no SDR-55) is a pure 16-channel processor - same as this but no amplifiers. So I'm not sure what you're saying there. Would it be "really a 0.1 receiver"?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just noticed that last night. Don't understand why they are marketing this as having '16 channels of processing" when it's apparent it's really a 7.1 receiver. Even the SDR 55, as I understand it, mererly has the capability of sending channels beyond the 7.1 to outside amplifiers. So they are basically charging $8.25 k for a processor that will allow the end user to decide whether they want to assign two chanels beyond the 5.1 to Lb, Rb for a legacy 7.1 or to use those to bi-amp the front speakers, or else use them at Lh, Rh in Atmos, Dts-x and Auro 3D setups. In other words a 5.1.2 setup at best, that't being advertised as 16 channels.

If I bought this thinking I was getting a full on Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D machine, I'd prolly be taking JBL and whoever sold this to me to court.
Both the SDP55 (processor, no amps) and this unit SDR35/8 both can process 16 channels for Atmos etc… The SDR35 just also has 7 internal amps and unbalanced outs. Typical use case would be using the 7 included amps for LCR, Surrounds and back surrounds for the 7 channels, using an external amplifier for 4 or 6 height channels and subs for 2-4 outputs. It is exactly what it says it is… a 16 channel processor.

Lambda

Major Contributor
As soon as I started to test the DAC by capturing pre-out I realized that we have our usual problem of internal amplifier being stressed before we get to 2 volts nominal. I could actually hear the transformer squealing as I kept cranking up the volume (with no speakers connected). Going with it anyway, we get this not so good SINAD:
Why would "the transformer" squealing if there is no Load! Whats squealing must be in the signal part so likely a filter.
If it is a Class D this is btw. a very bad idea to crank it without load can it can permanently damage it.

Also strange decision to do it anyways if it clearly not happy and the specifications say 1V rms nominal.

KMO

Okay, I do see that the headline description on their site is "16-channel Class G Immersive Surround Sound AV Receiver". That's a bit cheeky. You do have to read some way on the description before you finally get to "Seven channels of Class G amplification are included allowing the SDR-35 to independantly power systems up to 7.1 channels."

KMO

Also strange decision to do it anyways if it clearly not happy and the specifications say 1V rms nominal.
But they also say 5V rms max. So I wouldn't be expecting it to significantly protest at 2V.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Both the SDP55 (processor, no amps) and this unit SDR35/8 both can process 16 channels for Atmos etc… The SDR35 just also has 7 internal amps and unbalanced outs. Typical use case would be using the 7 included amps for LCR, Surrounds and back surrounds for the 7 channels, using an external amplifier for 4 or 6 height channels and subs for 2-4 outputs. It is exactly what it says it is… a 16 channel processor.
And that is a fairly common arrangement, as we have seen it in Anthem, Denon, Marantz, Arcam...

Lambda

Major Contributor
be expecting it to significantly protest at 2V
it delivered 2V but with significant reduced performance. This is why they have a peak and nominal rating.

vu-meter-audiosignal-volumeneinheit-mit-nadel-in-den-roten-zahlen-e7abkm.jpg

Sure you can go in the "Red" area but you what do you expect...

D

Deleted member 50971

Here’s my problem with the 7 internal amps, if there’s an area of our theatre that we want more power, and the ability to use external amplification… It would be those seven channels that are locked in this AVR.

At least that’s what I’m gathering from the review and what everyone is saying.

Is my statement correct, am I understanding it right?

Edit;

At least allow us to use external amplification for the LCR.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here’s my problem with the 7 internal amps, if there’s an area of our theatre that we want more power, and the ability to use external amplification… It would be those seven channels that are locked in this AVR.

At least that’s what I’m gathering from the review and what everyone is saying.

Is my statement correct, am I understanding it right?

Edit;

At least allow us to use external amplification for the LCR.
Your understanding is correct from what I understand it as well. And it was a poor decision not to make them assignable or to be able to disconnect so it could be maintain its high performance over 1V.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Amp Protection Sensitivity level can be changed in system menu; it defaults to high.
I’m sorry for my possible ignorance here, but what is the purpose of such a user-defined feature? What happened to good old clipping?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their main use is to reduce power dissipation at lower power levels. At the end of the sweep the output transistors are operating at full voltage so class G is of no benefit to them.

It is very strange to see the aggressive protection seeing how I am only driving two channels.
The first explanation makes sense, thanks. Another user mentioned that the unit has user-defined settings for the level of amp protection circuitry. I’m not clear what the purpose of such a feature would be—I would have no idea where to set it. I’m guess I’m accustomed to old school clipping—what factors would influence selecting the amp protection level on high vs low? The gain of the source material? The cost of the speakers?

DrStranger

This AVR was my dream choice.... :(

I guess the SDR-38 is a 35 with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade board then...

D

Deleted member 50971

This AVR was my dream choice.... :(

I guess the SDR-38 is a 35 with the HDMI 2.1 upgrade board then...
Yeah they really botched this one as far as I’m concerned. If I was going AVR right now I’d pick one of the Denons, and someone could use it as is for awhile and upgrade to outboard amplifiers later on.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The first explanation makes sense, thanks. Another user mentioned that the unit has user-defined settings for the level of amp protection circuitry. I’m not clear what the purpose of such a feature would be—I would have no idea where to set it. I’m guess I’m accustomed to old school clipping—what factors would influence selecting the amp protection level on high vs low? The gain of the source material? The cost of the speakers?
Yeh, it is very strange. I have never seen such a feature so did not look for it for this review. Protection circuit is to keep the unit from failing. Don't understand the notion of letting user mess with it.

Krobar

Yeh, it is very strange. I have never seen such a feature so did not look for it for this review. Protection circuit is to keep the unit from failing. Don't understand the notion of letting user mess with it.

Maybe it is a bit like the 4 vs 8 ohm switch on some units. Hold the menu button down for 4 seconds and you should see it in the menu there.

Top Bottom