• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP 58 vs Monoprice Monolith HTP-1 Considerations and Purchase Advice

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice Advantages:
-Dynamic volume with fletcher-munsen/ISO equal loudness curves
-$1500 cheaper.
-Dirac Active Room Correction Promised.
-Web interface with macros.

JBL SDP 58 Advantages:
-HDMI 2.1 support.
-Dante for digital audio to Genelec system.
-Built in Chromecast

Other considerations:
-Hiss is a deal breaker.
-ADC required to use my Genelec sub with the Monoprice HTP1.
-Dynamic volume makes Sonos and Devialet speakers sound better at low volumes than my Genelecs.
-Already have a Chromecast Audio.
-Plan on using EARC since HDMI 9.0 is already outdated by the time you're reading this and EARC makes a trillion gigapixel display irrelevant because you don't have to pass though 68,000 exabytes of data per picosecond.

What am I not thinking of?

Should I care about HDMI passthrough? Why?

Other advantages or neat things with the JBL SDP58?

Imagine you were an insane person who felt uncontrollable rage at tiny, utterly stupid design decisions made with your processor... What would you complain about with these two things?

Don't much care about the bad measurements of things unless it's audible, extra sensitive to hiss compared to most.

The system will be connected to a Genelec 5.1 system that uses Kali speakers to become a 7.1.2 system. If there's a cheaper options that's great, don't need 16 channels, but also willing to pay for something that is effortless or has high reward (like room correction measurements with Dirac I'll take the time for.)

Switch/Apple TV/Computer>LG C9 OLED>Processor>Speakers

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice Advantages:
-Dynamic volume with fletcher-munsen/ISO equal loudness curves
-$1500 cheaper.
-Dirac Active Room Correction Promised.
-Web interface with macros.

JBL SDP 58 Advantages:
-HDMI 2.1 support.
-Dante for digital audio to Genelec system.
-Built in Chromecast

Other considerations:
-Hiss is a deal breaker.
-ADC required to use my Genelec sub with the Monoprice HTP1.
-Dynamic volume makes Sonos and Devialet speakers sound better at low volumes than my Genelecs.
-Already have a Chromecast Audio.
-Plan on using EARC since HDMI 9.0 is already outdated by the time you're reading this and EARC makes a trillion gigapixel display irrelevant because you don't have to pass though 68,000 exabytes of data per picosecond.

What am I not thinking of?

Should I care about HDMI passthrough? Why?

Other advantages or neat things with the JBL SDP58?

Imagine you were an insane person who felt uncontrollable rage at tiny, utterly stupid design decisions made with your processor... What would you complain about with these two things?

Don't much care about the bad measurements of things unless it's audible, extra sensitive to hiss compared to most.

The system will be connected to a Genelec 5.1 system that uses Kali speakers to become a 7.1.2 system. If there's a cheaper options that's great, don't need 16 channels, but also willing to pay for something that is effortless or has high reward (like room correction measurements with Dirac I'll take the time for.)

Switch/Apple TV/Computer>LG C9 OLED>Processor>Speakers
Not many 16 channel processors without any issues/flaws.
-Neither have DTS:X Pro. Which isn’t an issue for you.
Monoprice pretty much ticks just about every box you could hope for. However there are some things that kept me from ever ordering one..
-Warranty-If you need a repair, they will replace with a b-stock. Issue was they didn’t have stock for a long long time meaning you have nothing until they get stock. If you choose not to wait, my understanding is a store credit I believe and not a refund.
-Handling of boot loop issue (see avsforum for the details). For a very long time consumers had boot loop issues and the company was very silent and did not offer much communication or a fix. A user on AVSForum (not monoprice) provided an alternate firmware which seems to have fixed it. For monoprice to have not fixed it themselves by now is very poor in my opinion.
-What is amazing is the price has been $3999 for quite some time making it by far the best value. And it has a ton of features that others just don’t have.
When I was shopping for a processor (ended up with a StormAudio) the SDP55 was having a lot of issues so I didn’t learn much about it. Seems like owners don’t seem to have issues like they did. I know there are several that have the SDP55/58 so hopefully they will chime in.
The latest word too is they will get Dirac ART. But never buy anything based on promises. Also note that the SDP55/58 comes with DLBC included. DLBC with the Monoprice will cost an extra $500.
If the issues aren’t deal breakers, I would go monoprice and use it during its return policy to make sure it meets your needs.
Of course a Dante solution for your speakers does sound interesting too.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The latest word too is they will get Dirac ART. But never buy anything based on promises. Also note that the SDP55/58 comes with DLBC included. DLBC with the Monoprice will cost an extra $500.
If the issues aren’t deal breakers, I would go monoprice and use it during its return policy to make sure it meets your needs.
Of course a Dante solution for your speakers does sound interesting too.
Good to know.

Monoprice has said the HTP1 supports DTSX Pro but they have to update the GUI to enable it basically. We'll see.

Glad to know it comes with DLBC for JBL unit... Hard trade-off between that and loudness compensation, but I suppose the HTP1 can have both for a price.

What made you jump to storm audio? Isn't that like 3x the price?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good to know.

Monoprice has said the HTP1 supports DTSX Pro but they have to update the GUI to enable it basically. We'll see.

Glad to know it comes with DLBC for JBL unit... Hard trade-off between that and loudness compensation, but I suppose the HTP1 can have both for a price.

Quite a few things that ended up being important...
1-Support-You get amazing support. Create a ticket if you have an issue and they are very responsive. Twice they called me to work through a few things. There is no lower level support. I was actually talking with the guy that wrote their advanced bass management
2-Warranty-I believe it is 5 years now and they will repair/replace as necessary
3-Upgradeablity-Stormaudio units hardware can be upgraded. For example, MK1 can be upgraded to MK2 etc.
4-Expandability-I wanted to use more than 16 channels, so I have added 8 channels for a total of 24.
5-Manual PEQ-You can use manual PEQ before or after Dirac
6-StormXT-When a speaker is not part of a audio format, stormaudio will use that speaker by combining it with other nearby channels. For example, CH is part of DTS:X but not dolby. In other systems this speaker would be silent, but with StormXT it fills in the audio and uses the channel
7-Multiroom support with Dirac. Stormaudio is the only procesor where you can have unlimited number of 2 channel or mono zones (soon to be 2.1) and you can use Dirac on all of the zones.
8-No bugs. Their software is very good. I don't feel like a beta tester. After hearing about the issues of various other processors, I just didn't have the time to deal with a ton of bugs/workarounds. I just need it to work and Stormaudio does that
9-Quick access to tone controls-Through the web ui they have really usefully tone controls for bass/treble/brightness as well as sub level/lipsync etc. With these I don't miss a loudness function
10-Open to suggestions. I have made to suggestions that they have addressed (not sure if it was me or several people). StormXT levels were qutie low when first introduced and they adjusted the level via firmware. They also added finer PEQ control.

The only issue with Stormaudio (as with Trinnov) is they are expensive. For me I don't plan on changing processors anymore and with my list of things I wanted/needed I decided to do it and have enjoyed using it. But I could see many opting for the HTP1 as it does so much.

Another thing to keep in mind, Monoprice just finally got the HTP-1 back in stock after something like 2 years of being out. Now, the new owners who have purchased these new units are finding that some of them cannot use Dirac. Apparently one of the chips was replaced on the boards in these units due to a shortage or something, and Dirac does not work on these units that contain these new chips. I'm summarizing but you can find all the info on the AVS Forum owners thread. There are some pretty unhappy customers right now. Monoprice did say that they are aware of the issue and working on a fix but no timeline was given. Considering the track record of not fixing issues such as the boot loop, and not really having any communication for the past few years, this should be something to keep in mind.

I have an Emotiva processor so I'm no stranger to these types of issues, and still do consider the HTP-1 to be a great value. If it weren't for a few of the issues, I'd be highly considering one right now.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Emotiva processor so I'm no stranger to these types of issues, and still do consider the HTP-1 to be a great value. If it weren't for a few of the issues, I'd be highly considering one right now.
Crazy, I thought they fixed the bootloop issue a while ago, and hopefully it's not too long before they can update the second version to work with DIRAC.

Can't stand how these units might as well be computers, but you can't update the software, OS, and firmware separately.

Wish things were more standardized and Dirac was effectively an app... Don't have to update the whole system or wait for the OEM, you just download the new app.

Crazy, I thought they fixed the bootloop issue a while ago, and hopefully it's not too long before they can update the second version to work with DIRAC.

Can't stand how these units might as well be computers, but you can't update the software, OS, and firmware separately.

Wish things were more standardized and Dirac was effectively an app... Don't have to update the whole system or wait for the OEM, you just download the new app.
Well, they released a FW update that stated it resolved the bootloop. Unfortunately, it did not fix it and they kind of went quiet after that.

The issue with Dirac is it has to be integrated into the processor to work with the hardware, different vendors use different hardware, the manufactures have to write firmware to get it all to work together, so unfortunately Dirac and the hardware/firmware are codependent.

Then on top of that there is the Dirac software that runs on your PC when you perform the measurements and RC filter calculations so that can have it's own set of issues as well.

I'm glad to see Dirac getting more widespread adoption, whenever I heard about it back in 2017 it was basically just starting to become more widely available, but it isn't until recently that you were able to get it on more mainstream AVRs. Hopefully now that there is wider adoption, Dirac and manufacturers have a better idea of how to make this all work together a bit better.

JRiggs

As already mentioned, the JBL comes with DLBC included, no additional cost, and a promise to include future upgrades/updates to Dirac for free (we’ll see).

Mine has been trouble free for over a year now. It just works and is dead silent in my system. DTSX Pro is a nonissue for me.

Both are Roon ready if that matters.

Also keep in mind, you will be purchasing the JBL through their dealer network and deals can be had. You should not be paying MSRP. I managed to get mine for the same price of the HTP-1 plus the cost of DLBC license.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JRiggs

Why does DTSX Pro not matter? Isn't that used in some Blu-Ray releases? What if streaming services switch to that?
DTSX Pro is for processing more than 12 discrete channels. I will likely never have a set up with more than 9-11 channels. I am not sure of any other benefit to DTSX pro.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does DTSX Pro not matter? Isn't that used in some Blu-Ray releases? What if streaming services switch to that?
If you only have 11 total bed layer/height speakers it doesn’t matter. DTS:X only will do up to 11 channels. For thone with more than 11 channels that do not have DTS:X Pro, those additional speakers will be silent. With DTS:X Pro it will use all of your channels. So in some use cases (11 channels or less) it doesn’t matter at all. But if you are doing more channels, then it does.. and is important IMO.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you only have 11 total bed layer/height speakers it doesn’t matter. DTS:X only will do up to 11 channels. For thone with more than 11 channels that do not have DTS:X Pro, those additional speakers will be silent. With DTS:X Pro it will use all of your channels. So in some use cases (11 channels or less) it doesn’t matter at all. But if you are doing more channels, then it does.. and is important IMO.

Okay, so since it already does DTS:X I'll get surround sound, just not more than 11 channels with "Pro" which isn't relevant to me. Got it. I though it was that it didn't support DTS.

Now I'm just worried that I'm going to want two center channels, one above and one below my TV, and I don't know where to look to see if either of these support that, but I suppose with Dante I can copy a channel and duplicate it to another speaker?

Has anyone used this with both Dante and analog to see if there are issues with the volume between them or timing problems?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I'm just worried that I'm going to want two center channels, one above and one below my TV, and I don't know where to look to see if either of these support that, but I suppose with Dante I can copy a channel and duplicate it to another speaker?

Do you mean literally, a 2nd center channel? Seems like it since you mentioned "copy". Or a center height? If so, can you elaborate a little on the use case?

Atmos doesn't support center height in any home-use processor I'm aware of, and a quirk of HTP1 is that it doesn't support center height at all. If native center height content is detected, it plays out front height L/R.

cputoaster

Just as an SDP-55 user with Dirac Live (no GLM) Genelec setup, it just boring works for me, via Dante/AES for the 8351b LCR and XLR for ceil / surrounds / subs. I really hope we get ART though.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you mean literally, a 2nd center channel? Seems like it since you mentioned "copy". Or a center height? If so, can you elaborate a little on the use case?

Atmos doesn't support center height in any home-use processor I'm aware of, and a quirk of HTP1 is that it doesn't support center height at all. If native center height content is detected, it plays out front height L/R.
I know Stormaudio supports Center Front Height as well as Trinnov. I think Denon/Marantz do as well. With Storm there isn't a way to use it to lift dialogue however (unless you one is ok simply duplicating center channel info above/below the screen). I think with Trinnov Speaker mapping turned on it can provide that effect. Storm has speaker mapping on their roadmap but I think it got pushed down their priority list with Dirac Art and the need to have an adequate 3d microphone.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good to know.

Which one has loudness compensation and does that compare to Audysseys Dynamic EQ or is it their Dynamic Volume or neither?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which one has loudness compensation and does that compare to Audysseys Dynamic EQ or is it their Dynamic Volume or neither?
I don't own the HTP1 but there are 2 loudness curves to choose from. People seem to like the feature quite a lot. I don't know about Dynamic volume but I think that is loudness compression. I would think it does, but don't know on that. I'm sure an HTP1 owner will chime in.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone who owns the JBL SDP55 or SDP58 used Dolby volume?

Their paper claims it can allow you to hear bass and treble that would normally be below the range of audibility at low volumes.

Can anyone speak to that?

smile nya

Quite a few things that ended up being important...
1-Support-You get amazing support. Create a ticket if you have an issue and they are very responsive. Twice they called me to work through a few things. There is no lower level support. I was actually talking with the guy that wrote their advanced bass management
2-Warranty-I believe it is 5 years now and they will repair/replace as necessary
3-Upgradeablity-Stormaudio units hardware can be upgraded. For example, MK1 can be upgraded to MK2 etc.
4-Expandability-I wanted to use more than 16 channels, so I have added 8 channels for a total of 24.
5-Manual PEQ-You can use manual PEQ before or after Dirac
6-StormXT-When a speaker is not part of a audio format, stormaudio will use that speaker by combining it with other nearby channels. For example, CH is part of DTS:X but not dolby. In other systems this speaker would be silent, but with StormXT it fills in the audio and uses the channel
7-Multiroom support with Dirac. Stormaudio is the only procesor where you can have unlimited number of 2 channel or mono zones (soon to be 2.1) and you can use Dirac on all of the zones.
8-No bugs. Their software is very good. I don't feel like a beta tester. After hearing about the issues of various other processors, I just didn't have the time to deal with a ton of bugs/workarounds. I just need it to work and Stormaudio does that
9-Quick access to tone controls-Through the web ui they have really usefully tone controls for bass/treble/brightness as well as sub level/lipsync etc. With these I don't miss a loudness function
10-Open to suggestions. I have made to suggestions that they have addressed (not sure if it was me or several people). StormXT levels were qutie low when first introduced and they adjusted the level via firmware. They also added finer PEQ control.

The only issue with Stormaudio (as with Trinnov) is they are expensive. For me I don't plan on changing processors anymore and with my list of things I wanted/needed I decided to do it and have enjoyed using it. But I could see many opting for the HTP1 as it does so much.

The minidsp ddrc88a is also capable of Dirac multi-zone! I would like to add that It's not comparable to Storm Audio, though.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Additional JBL SDP 55/58 Disadvantages:
-Ticking noise every 10 seconds from an Apple TV 4k over Dante.
-Sharp squeal when using an Nvidia Shield.
-VERY LOUD snaps that repeat over and over when the display gets turned off and triggers a Nintendo Switch getting turned off.
-Dolby Volume has been simplified/removed and is presets only.

This is with a unit where the seller had the 8k and Dante board service on a JBL SDP 55.

At this point I'd consider Dante a moot point after trying another adaptor from Avio that is on the way. Currently using Amphenol AES adaptors to convert from Dante. Already tried two different network switches. Already tried different clock leaders. Already tried different HDMI cables. Already updated the firmware on the JBL and reset the settings on the TV.

If that new adaptor doesn't work I'm open to other suggestions but will update things here in case anyone else wonders whether dante works on the SDP 55 and SDP 58 well enough to enjoy without pops and clicks and screeching and loud snaps.

My suspicion is that few people use Dante and if they do the little ticks are either ignored because the source material plays over them, or it's luck of the draw on the Dante board fix which isn't very reassuring.

Top Bottom