• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP-55 replacement ideas

JEarle

Forum Donor
So, after putting up with my SDP-55 and its related software issues for over a year the screen has just failed during an update. I am going to get it to JBL for repair, however, I am now 100% done with this product and am looking for replacement ideas.

I need the following features:
Dirac (or ARC) ideally with DLBC for my three subs
4 HDMI inputs / 1 Out
An analog input (or two)
Atmos
Auro 3D upmixing (or something similar)
XLR outs for LCR
Just works without spending hours messing around

This is for my 'theatre' type setup in my basement. 75% music and 25% movies. I have 708p's for LCR, in-wall surrounds and in-celling Atmos giving me a 5.3.2 system. LCR and subs are powered and surrounds are driven by an Emotiva multi channel amp.

I am open to a cheaper AVR to do surround decoding and processing with a separate pre-amp with HT-Bypass to process LR & Subs with Dirac. Audessy would be fine for surround DSP in this case.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Archaea

I have been reading on AVSForum that the JBL processors had gotten to a point they were pretty bug free outside of clicking with Dante? What issues were you still having before your firmware update issue? I am considering purchasing a SDP-55, but a friend linked me here as a caution.

OP
J

JEarle

Forum Donor
Yeah they have been getting more bug free, but given my screen just failed during a FW update im looking at other options. If I had bought one in the last few months im sure i'd be wanting to keep it, however, I was an early adopter and given all of the early headaches I had this is the straw that broke the camels back.

apgood

Your choices if you want to avoid the same platform JBL uses are probably the StormAudio ISP or Monoprice HTP-1.

The Storm is solid but expensive, while the Monoprice is cheaper but also has some bugs. There is an active thread about the monoprice on AVS and reviews of both processors on ASR.

Personally I have the Storm and very happy with it.

Top Bottom