• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDP-55 Audio/Video Processor Review

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audinate needs to test switches and give some suggestions for good ones to use that have PoE. Or just send moderately high bandwidth signals constantly even if it's silence just to prevent EEE or other things from interrupting.
I use Cisco Small Business switches for years without issue. And I think Audinate lists them.
(NB: SG100 is listed as NON compatible)

The very first thing Audinate explains is that you need to disable EEE power saving features on your switch.

Yamaha is even more clear about it, if possible:

20230919_064130.jpg

See also here.

By the way, I'm pretty sure measured performance would have been better with Dante.
You'd probably don't have any significant jitter, to start with.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Cisco Small Business switches for years without issue. And I think Audinate lists them.
(NB: SG100 is listed as NON compatible)

The very first thing Audinate explains is that you need to disable EEE power saving features on your switch.

Yamaha is even more clear about it, if possible:

View attachment 313022

See also here.

By the way, I'm pretty sure measured performance would have been better with Dante.
You'd probably don't have any significant jitter, to start with.
I've since tested the unit with a basic PoE injector that doesn't do any switching... the tick issue is still present with Amphenol or Audinate/Avio adaptors. No clock, sampling rate, bit depth, or delay settings fix it.

JBL has confirmed the issue, IMS0024523 is their internal reference number for it.

Jonas_h

For those of you who are successfully running DANTE without any issues like pops, ticks etc. What switch are you using? (Exact model).

beatelund

Forum Donor
For those of you who are successfully running DANTE without any issues like pops, ticks etc. What switch are you using? (Exact model).
Its not a switch issue.

The problem is the jbl sdp-55/58 implementation of the Dante card.

I have no problem with other Dante units, just the SDP-55.
But now it is pretty good.

Jonas_h

Its not a switch issue.

The problem is the jbl sdp-55/58 implementation of the Dante card.

I have no problem with other Dante units, just the SDP-55.
But now it is pretty good.
My question is still unanswered and is still of great interest to me :)

I.e.: Switches which have been confirmed and used succesfully with the SDP-55/58.

Jonas_h

First time i´m doing this. So maybe it is not correct, so dont hang med for this

Just did some tests with REW
Was a little curious how Dante would perform against analog

Here are the signalpath for the measurments:
48khz 24bit in REW
1khz test Tone -10dBFS

Blue= REW-->Bss Asio drivers-->USB-->Blu usb-->Blu link-->Blu 160-->Blulink-->Blu usb-->USB-->Bss Asio drivers-->REW

Red= REW-->Asio 4all drivers-->HDMI-->SDP-55-->Analog XLR-->Blu 160-->Blulink-->Blu usb-->USB-->Asio 4all drivers-->REW

Green=REW-->Asio 4all drivers-->HDMI-->SDP-55-->Dante-->Blu 806DA-->Blulink-->Blu 160-->Blu link-->Blu usb-->USB-->Asio 4all drivers-->REW

Can somebody give me some feedback on this

View attachment 86407
Did you ever re-measure this? Interesting to see the differences between analog and digital.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I.e.: Switches which have been confirmed and used succesfully with the SDP-55/58.
GS108LP100NAS Netgear

That one works perfectly, except for the unit itself has an issue, so there is still a tick because the clock goes out of sync.

Harmon has an issue they have recorded and if you email them they can tell you more about it and give you the case number.

They are still working on it, and should be dragged through the mud until they actually have a working implementation because that is the single defining feature of the unit, everything else is duplicated by other units on the market.

I've wasted $5000 on one of these. Don't use it for Dante until they can fix it.

beatelund

Forum Donor

i use ubiquiti unifi switches and i have no problem with DANTE as long as the sdp-55 is not in the chain..
And they are not recommend by audinate but works just fine, maybe if the channel count or traffic is higher it matters more.

USW-Pro-24
USW-Aggregation
USW-Lite-8-POE

beatelund

Forum Donor
Did you ever re-measure this? Interesting to see the differences between analog and digital.
Yes i have done these measurements several times. At least one time with every new software version.
I have also done analog measuremnts, but the BSS that i used to do that doesent have sota analog performance.
The analog measurements is good but the DANTE is far greater as long as you dont lower the volume to much.

The best scenario you get if you do some level adjustment in the bss and the rest in the sdp with low level listening

here are some numbers

SIGNAL dBFSTHD+N dBTHD dBN dB
SDP Analog - BSS AI
SDP DANTE - BSS DA - BSS AES - OKTO AO - BSS AI
SDP DANTE- BSS DA
134,7​
Storm Audio ISP 32 AES67 - BSS AES67
125​

if you go 0dbfs you get 139 THD+N db with the SDP.
But if you turn on DIRAC it doesnt get better than 82 thd+n same with the STORM

JBL sdp gets better numbers than the STORM but STORMs implementation is much better. Because it doesnt have these fault that causes cracks sometimes, when start/stop playback or the mesurable clock faults the sdp has.

After the latest update v1.60, the clock fault/ticking/clicking is just measurable not audible when listen to content.
So for now the above mentioned start/stop problem is the only DANTE problem for me.
But still is a rather disturbing problem, my solution is to hit mute before i do anything (have been used to always do that now, but i rather see that JBL fix it).
Biggest problem is with decoded dolby/DTS sound not so much with ROON.

Jonas_h

Thanks - the numbers looks great with Dante!

But having to press mute everytime I start/stop is a 100% dealbreaker for me. I really hope JBL fixes this. The channel count in the SDP is good enough for my requirements so would see it as "wasted money" if I have to get the Storm instead.

cputoaster

GS308EP-100PES Firmware: V1.0.1.1
IGMP Snooping enabled for IT LAN, not for Dante LAN

Magnus

I asked this on AVS but never got any replies. Has anyone with Logic16 ever tried disabling their center channel speaker to see if that makes any difference in terms of "pulling things to the center?"

I noticed a big difference on my Lexicon MC-1 in Logic7's behavior with and without the center channel enabled. It definitely pulled a lot of things towards the center that it did not do with it disabled. I didn't feel that ruined the mode or anything, but maybe something in Logic16 utilizing more channels is exacerbating the effect? I'm curious, but I'm not buying a JBL to test the idea.

I'm also getting mixed comments reading various old threads about different Logic7 versions. For example, I was thinking of buying a used MC-8 V2 (or MC-12 V5+) to compare PLIIx to Logic7 on my system (I'm using my Marantz 7012's 7.1 inputs for the Lexicon), but I read at least one comment on the MC-8 that Logic7 was better in V1 firmware while reading that Logic7 was better on the MC-8/MC-12 than the MC-1 so I don't know where that leads things.

Logic7 on the MC-1 V4 definitely picked up some new options that my DC-1 V2 didn't have, but unless you're using the new settings, I don't know if I'd call it better on the sound itself with the same settings. It seems like they broke at least one setting in the process too (center enhance does nothing on my MC-1 V4 while it increases center output regardless of there being a center channel on my DC-1 V2.

The 5.1 DTS output gets like 6dB louder in the center without a center channel (bug?), but does not do that if I convert the same DTS album to Dolby Digital first. It seems strange there'd be bugs in the final MC-1 firmware like that.

Top Bottom