• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL One Series 104 Powered Monitor Review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Some more tweaking after I found a small vertical offset in the overlaid graph. I really quite like how these sound now. It's probably still not 100% perfect (the treble is still a hair tizzy for one) but I'm not lugging all the stuff I'd need for measurements into the office.
104eq1b.png

104eq2b.png

BTW, I noticed a peculiar phenomenon - if you play a high amplitude tone close to 20 kHz, noise floor rises substantially. Deep bass will not do this. I don't think this is from the onboard audio (Conexant CX20642), some sort of modulation noise from the Class D power amplifier seems more likely. It would be interesting to know whether this is a common occurrence in Class D amps, even if it would be unlikely to be much of a problem.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
.....It's probably still not 100% perfect.....
From beginning not easy task tame this speakers non ideal directivity index :) have some fun..

Below animation toggle Amir's raw anechoic spindata for JBL one series 104 verse your EQ filters set into free VituixCad program, if you interested use Amir's data into that CAD program there's a guide in this link: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-vituixcad-using-amirs-shared-spindata.13136/..

AnalogSteph_EQ_x1x2_800mS.gif

Below aninmation toggle a smooth EQed on axis verse smooth EQed listening window verse smooth EQed PIR for JBL one series 104, as seen it looks sort of mission impossible but on objective paper probably smooth listening window will be okay compromise for nearfield and farfield listening and smooth PIR be okay compromise for farfield listening..

AnalogSteph_2_x1x1x1_2000mS.gif

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
How are you getting the ideal response lines in there?

What do you think of these - one optimized strictly for power response, the other mostly for smoothest ER with decent power response.
vxcad-104-mod5-power.png

vxcad-104-mod8e-er.png

Will have to see how these sound.

My previous last ear-tuned EQ actually doesn't stack up so badly at all:
vxcad-104-4h-ear.png

BYRTT

Forum Donor
For shure up to 4kHz area your EQ trials looks a wonder compared raw out of box :)..

In most of Vituix six plots one can rightclick then "Open overlay..." and another rightclick then "Traces" you can set their colors and width plus tick whatever curve there enabled/disabled, targets i made myself IIRC via "Tools/Calculator", they attached below have stopbands at 20Hz and 20kHz and is LP (linear phase) and IIRC PIR is a 0,7dB/oct dive and power response is 1,3dB/oct dive, their SPL is set @85dB and if your Windows system plus mouse driver allow you can schroll mouse wheel and all overlay offset up and down in one roll or if you highlight one overlay at a time one can dedicated roll that one up and down, should it happen your mouse dont work for offset SPL of overlays then load all three curves at a time into "A responses" in "Tools/Calculator" where one can offset magnitude to whatever +/- number at the top of the window and output as "Real A" (Linear phase) or "Minimum phase A".

Also i attach my EQ curves from previous post about smooth on-axis plus smooth listening window and smooth PIR, you can load them in the container called "Transfer function file" and then via meny "View/Impulse response" you can output a Wav-file for use in a convolution engine, because of the mess in directivity would think the smooth PIR is not a bad compromise that avarage best most other curves in spinorama plot.

Attachments

• TARGET_ideal_on-axis_@85dB-SPL_20Hz-20kHz(BW2)_LP.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 97
  • TARGET_ideal_PIR_@85dB-SPL_20Hz-20kHz(BW2)_LP.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 117
  • TARGET_ideal_power_response_@85dB-SPL_20Hz-20kHz(BW2)_LP.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 96
  • EQ_smooth_on-axis.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 113
  • EQ_smooth_LisWin.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 103
  • EQ_smooth_PIR.txt
    18.3 KB · Views: 108

Marakk

So I got the 104BT model when it went on sale in my country. Got it for about 80$. OOTB they sound way better than my previous, cheap Edifier computer speakers. Was wondering now for applying EQ, how much of an impact my kitto will make. Should I have two presets? One taking into account the cat and the other without? There's some harshness in female vocals.

Attachments

• IMG_20201025_135257.jpg
    IMG_20201025_135257.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:

Skylinestar

So I got the 104BT model when it went on sale in my country. Got it for about 80$. OOTB they sound way better than my previous, cheap Edifier computer speakers. Was wondering now for applying EQ, how much of an impact my kitto will make. Should I have two presets? One taking into account the cat and the other without? There's some harshness in female vocals.
What was your previous Edifier model?

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Available now with bluetooth v.5.0 option. No aptX / aptX HD / LDAC thogh.

Reviewed and measured here.
d2FjPTExNzB4MS43NzI5NjE4MTYzMDU1_src_12526-_JBL_03.png

(chart doesn't start at 0 Hz)

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Latest iteration of my plain 104 EQ (again, for my use - sideways on desk, angled upwards):
104eq-4h-mod8p.png

Any bets on the crossover in these being all but a lone electrolytic capacitor? Treble dispersion is so phenomenally irregular and peaky that I wouldn't be surprised if midwoofer breakup modes had a hand in it. It is also quite obvious that mine don't exactly behave like Amir's up there. Makes you wonder whether possibly tweeter polarity might vary between mine and his or something...

Maiky76

Forgot to post the data itself. Here it is.

Hi,

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.
It is as you can image rather hard to do anything about this speaker but since it will most likely be used with a PC it may be worth the efforts for those willing to try something.

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:
Score no EQ: 1.72
With Sub: 4.38

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • Not Flat at all, difficult to imagine how they made it this way.
  • Some economic speakers do a better job (Edifier)
  • Huge issue with directivity as pointed out in the review
JBL 104 No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:
?
The LW might not be representative/trustworthy since the ON is so off
maybe at 20deg horizontally?
some significant radiation from the back just under 400Hz, port or internal resonance through the port?
JBL 104 LW data.png

JBL 104 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

Ouch!!
JBL 104 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png

EQ design:
I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
  • I tried to make the range below the directivity issue smooth.

Score EQ LW: 3.81
with sub: 6.43

Score EQ Score: 4.76
with sub: 7.30

Code:
JBL 104 APO EQ LW 96000Hz
December312020-103047

Preamp: -1 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 55.5 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 135.5 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 0.87
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1065 Hz Gain -0.79 dB Q 4.14
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1847 Hz Gain -1.7 dB Q 10
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2677 Hz Gain -3.3 dB Q 9.14
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2395 Hz Gain -1.29 dB Q 7.43
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4767 Hz Gain -4.65 dB Q 5.79
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 7062 Hz Gain -3.07 dB Q 4.39
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10126 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 7.88
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 15050 Hz Gain -6.35 dB Q 1.84

JBL 104 APO EQ 96000Hz
December312020-102720

Preamp: -0.4 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 53.5 Hz Gain 0 dB Q 1.15
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 137 Hz Gain -3.93 dB Q 0.68
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1074 Hz Gain -1.15 dB Q 2.54
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1819 Hz Gain -2.26 dB Q 12.5
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2706 Hz Gain -2.83 dB Q 8.64
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2388 Hz Gain -2.04 dB Q 8.93
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4808 Hz Gain -5.55 dB Q 3.31
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6529 Hz Gain -2.93 dB Q 4.97
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 8272 Hz Gain -3.09 dB Q 3.41
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 9992 Hz Gain 3 dB Q 7.38
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 15059 Hz Gain -6.85 dB Q 1.48

JBL 104 EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
JBL 104 LW EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
JBL 104 Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
JBL 104 Zoom PIR-LW-ON.png

Regression - Tonal
JBL 104 Regression - Tonal.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Large improvements but still subpar
JBL 104 Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached

Attachments

• JBL 104 APO EQ LW 96000Hz.txt
    534 bytes · Views: 303
  • JBL 104 APO EQ 96000Hz.txt
    586 bytes · Views: 212
  • JBL 104 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    JBL 104 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 144
  • JBL 104 Normalized Directivity data.png
    JBL 104 Normalized Directivity data.png
    440.1 KB · Views: 125
  • JBL 104 Raw Directivity data.png
    JBL 104 Raw Directivity data.png
    720.8 KB · Views: 126
  • JBL 104 Reflexion data.png
    JBL 104 Reflexion data.png
    232 KB · Views: 127
  • JBL 104 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    JBL 104 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    450.6 KB · Views: 104

Skylinestar

I would like to use the JBL104 (I have a spare passive unit) with my own audio amplifier. Is there anyone who has the EQ fix to be loaded into Equalizer APO?

bennybbbx

I have a white version with Blue tooth. they seem have update it. there is no 7 khz gap see. I have speaker allways on ear height. put low on desktop give more bass but sound not good in stereo wide and room feeling. FR in my room no eq is this. is 1/6 smooth to show better the gaps

jbl 104.jpg

the 10 khz gap is from the jbl. my other speakers have this not. on axis this gap is not so much as off axis. i try a correct preset so i can switch so measure better but i hear during now no diffrence. with 1 octave smoothing the gap is not much see

smooth 1 1.jpg

maybe when i more music compare i hear. this gap is very small. I can this JBL put very near to ears and it sound amazing. currently i have 55 cm. the other speakers with tweeters sound at this distance not good.they need 70 cm at least. I can compare the eris without tweeter and this JBL have very good stereo wide and room size. much better as kali lp6, mtm and eris with tweeter. so coaxial help alot.
maybe i go more near. noise is very very low when all input is select i hear it at 10 cm away when level on speaker is full up. it can even more reduce when reduce the volume on speaker so it stand at 3 o clock. the only crazy thing on the JBL is that it bring loud start sound when switch them on. when the speaker is go automatic to standby and then activate this crazy start sound not come. I notice when jbl is on standby can switch on with a press on the input selector button and of course with signal on input. there is in manual explain how can disable this automatic standby but then i think hear always this crazy loud start sound when i switch it on. so let it always on and use automatic power control.

maybe here is somebody from JBL ?

Last edited:

bennybbbx

I notice in the test from @amirm is no distortion graph of 85 and 95 db measure. maybe for such smaller speakers it is better to measure 85 db and 75 db. maybe the change in distortion on diffrent level when speaker is not extreme loud show if it is more precise. or if it is not much additional work maybe measure distortion of 3 levels 75, 85,95

bennybbbx

after some months i am still happy. this speakers are the best i ever hear and music sound amazing much much better than other.
I buy now for this a Gravity SP 3102 speaker stand this is adjustable from 26.3 cm to 35,8 cm and i put them on my desktop 31 cm high and 42 cm away. they are good on ear height and because they are more near they are 6 db louder as when 1 meter away. room have less influence too. here you can calculate this http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-distance.htm

or in short. when level is at 1 meter 70 db loud
at 3 cm from speaker away it is 100 db.
at 30 cm from speaker away it is 80.4 db loud
at 50 cm from speaker away it is 76.02 db loud
at 42 cm from speaker away it is 77.54 db loud

and of course, the more near you come the more less influence have room reflektions

I have first 30 cm away they sound even more a little better on my room and they are then 10 db louder as with 1 meter distance. But because they are so light, i come with a arm onto box and it fall on the floor. it was the passive side which is lighter. luckily they is not damaged. so i go back to 50 cm.
bass with this EQ settings is good, and there can use a subwoofer at 65 hz butterworth 18 db. when you want really loud. I have put the kali lp6 under desktop and it bring more bass and sound good too. but i use it very selden. I have a reckon butt shaker so bass feel louder even with the 104. the iloud mtm i sell, they sound not so good and are very expensive. So i get more money as the jbl 104 cost and have better speakers with much less port noise as the mtm. I think coax speakers or wide band speakers are much better because for near field can hear more near. when other speakers put 50 cm near they sound more diffrent depend on head move as the coaxial or one way. in this t-racks mini dsp settings i use the 7 (9.4 khz high shelf) filter for simulate a hearing curce reduction. both channels use same settings. this is important or stereo sound not good because of diffrent phase shift per channel
eq jbl 104.jpg

EQ when use subwoofer
EQ jbl 104 with sub 65 hz.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom