• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 versus 4367 Shootout

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to arrange a 'shootout' between JBLs passive 4367 and their active M2.

Keith

If it costs the same, I'm curious who would win if someone bypassed the crossovers and bi-amped the 4367. I think JBL could make a much better M2 these days for the same price or cheaper, but maybe high SPL and keeping the accuracy quite good is harder than I think.

Don't they also have a relatively new "MTM" style speaker that is in the price range of the M2? Can't find the site that showed it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If it costs the same, I'm curious who would win if someone bypassed the crossovers and bi-amped the 4367. I think JBL could make a much better M2 these days for the same price or cheaper, but maybe high SPL and keeping the accuracy quite good is harder than I think.
A situation one of our members faced a few years back. He did end up buying the M2's
Lots of info if your curious, member name dallasjustice , Haven't heard from him in quite some time.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-4367-inside-photos-video.2293/

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not that anyone asked ;) but I did a much cheaper 'end-run' around the M2 / 4367 dichotomy.
Similar to:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...7-inside-photos-video.2293/page-4#post-703076

I had (purchased new) L200s mod'd for the 375/077 MF/HF combo (with the N8000 xover) and had been chasing boomy bass from the original LE15Bs (2216) for decades.

When I heard Scott's @srm51555 DIY M2s, I immediately bought the 4367 woofers (2216ND1) and found as 'near' perfection as I'm ever going to care about.
(I'd basically given up on audio when I came across Scott's lansing heritage M2 DIY thread, which then lead to ASR, and the OktoDAC, etc etc.)

(But will never know whether the M2 ND would have been better or worse -my reasoning was that, if the ND-1 failed horribly, I could buy the 4367 LF crossover...but it didn't.)
Best yet, the new woofs just dropped right in, and didn't have to do any fussy port tweeking either.

Clean as a whistle down to 22hz and super precise.

Sure, I'd like to try the 2450s - and might, someday - but have zero complaints today - at a tiny fraction of the cost for either of the modern JBLs.
If I was going to try to DIY M2s today, I'd start with a set of good condition L200 cabs and go from there.
o_O

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not that anyone asked ;) but I did a much cheaper 'end-run' around the M2 / 4367 dichotomy.
So did I, no room for the big guys anyway.
I bought the M2/4367 little brothers in the JBL Synthesis line, the HDI-3600s-4500. For $10k I was able to purchase 5 of them and got an incredible sounding 5.2.4 surround system that fits my room perfectly. ;)

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So did I, no room for the big guys anyway.
I bought the M2/4367 little brothers in the JBL Synthesis line, the HDI-3600s-4500. For $10k I was able to purchase 5 of them and got an incredible sounding 5.2.4 surround system that fits my room perfectly. ;)

Damn, that’s a nice setup for 10k!

Neddy

@Sal1950 definitely a smart way to go. I never got a chance to hear the HDI's (and was too dead set on 'makng my 70s investment' work!).
I went with tinier, non-jbl surrounds. But yes, those JBL cabinets are not to dismissed easily, at around 125lbs each, they kind of dominate the room...but are beautifully made, and the walnut has held up extremely well over the years (decades).
Just amazing the quality you can get for modest dollars today...a great time to be a music lover!

tonycaoyi

JBL M2 is really a good thing.
I use in 25 square room, about 18 square main listening area.

JBL M2 + Crown IT5000HD + Antelope Amari + Coleman Audio TB4M Mastering + oppo-203 + DH LABS Revelation + DH LABS RED WAVE + DH LABS D-750 + DH LABS Q-10

Watch my podcast:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
JBL M2 is really a good thing.
I use in 25 square room, about 18 square main listening area.
WOW is about I can say!
I imagine it sounds awesome
Enjoy

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@tonycaoyi how far apart are the M2's? They look pretty close and while they sound really good close, you can't imagine how amazing they sound spread apart to ~ 12'. The soundstage is just spectacular!

Silvanik

Hi all, I'm a new member from Italy and glad I landed here! Fresh owner of a pair of amazing JBL 4367 driven by a beefy old but still valid McCormack DNA-2 paired with Doge 8 tube pre amp and only one digital source, the Sony HAP Z1ES, very happy with this set up, but you know, a real music lover never stop chasing for better sound thus my idea is to experiment a powerful Crown I-Tech 12000HD but keeping the original xo passive configuration....at least for the moment, to see what happen. At the same time thinking about to add a 5628 sub driven by another Crown I-Tech amplifier. I pointed to this solution due to the presence of a built-in and needed electronic crossover with the hope of a good integration using the dsp capability of this series. My dedicated listening room (currently under construction) measure around 650 ft2.
Any opinion and suggestion is widely appreciate.

Meanwhile, greetings from Italy :)

Silvanik

Currently my listening room is this, in the corner is a REL S812 working with the system with good result. It will remain here with my second pair of speakers, my loved Thiel 3.6 for a different but still good listening, when the new dedicated room for the 4367 will be ready.

Attachments

• JBL 4367 & Thiel 3.6.jpg
    JBL 4367 & Thiel 3.6.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 2_HiFi System_1.jpg
    2_HiFi System_1.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 184

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Hi, we have many similarities because I also listen to my 4367 in a large temporary room upstairs.
To tell you the truth I had some difficulties with these speakers similar to those
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...37662.html?s=71ecf07db24634a0ae4f0a3a6589409a
but the solution of over elevation has solved all the problems is in my opinion reveals these speakers and if there is one thing I advise to do with it is that! (in my house 23 cm)

;)

Last edited:

Silvanik

Actually I'm in the process to make on my own a pair of stand like these, thought to make them 4 inch tall, don't want cut the bass response making them higher.

Attachments

• Kenrick Sound_s-l1600.jpg
    Kenrick Sound_s-l1600.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 73

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
Make yourself a temporary base at more or less 20cm height and try like that ... you can believe me it is very effective (in any case more effective than a change of amplifier)
look at the link I gave you and pay attention to what it says POS ... Do not forget also that these speakers in their phase of conception, were tested, measured, optimized in this configuration there (has 20cm)

Silvanik

Make yourself a temporary base at more or less 20cm height and try like that ... you can believe me it is very effective (in any case more effective than a change of amplifier)
look at the link I gave you and pay attention to what it says POS ... Do not forget also that these speakers in their phase of conception, were tested, measured, optimized in this configuration there (has 20cm)
With this height you found improvements in both image and low frequency quality? Ok convinced, will give it a try.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
there is an improvement on all the criteria in any case with my room...look for example the M2 they are at 1,25 M of height...I still did not understand why JBL does not speak about it in the white paper and the owners of 4367 continue to listen to them at ground level...whereas the speakers are boomy in this configuration.

ArkadeFunk

Hi all, I'm a new member from Italy and glad I landed here! Fresh owner of a pair of amazing JBL 4367 driven by a beefy old but still valid McCormack DNA-2 paired with Doge 8 tube pre amp and only one digital source, the Sony HAP Z1ES, very happy with this set up, but you know, a real music lover never stop chasing for better sound thus my idea is to experiment a powerful Crown I-Tech 12000HD but keeping the original xo passive configuration....at least for the moment, to see what happen. At the same time thinking about to add a 5628 sub driven by another Crown I-Tech amplifier. I pointed to this solution due to the presence of a built-in and needed electronic crossover with the hope of a good integration using the dsp capability of this series. My dedicated listening room (currently under construction) measure around 650 ft2.

Be careful using a 12000HD, it's putting 4500 watts into 4ohms. I'm not sure if the m2 preset can be loaded onto the 12000 as it's designed for the 5000. 4500 watts is easily enough to blow those speakers so be careful! Enjoy the speakers!

Bugal1998

Forum Donor

I run the 5628 and only get extension to around 25hz in room in my temporary space. Others show lower extension with the 5628. Other than a relative lack of extension I enjoy them very much for their sound quality and output in the audible range.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I run the 5628 and only get extension to around 25hz in room in my temporary space. Others show lower extension with the 5628. Other than a relative lack of extension I enjoy them very much for their sound quality and output in the audible range.
24hz is the -3db spec with 18hz at -10db
A little room gain could show more or less depending.
With dual 18" drivers a little EQ should get you whatever you desire. :)

Top Bottom