• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 Reference Master Monitor Review

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Let's see how this goes, shall we? :)

I can't post a link directly to my site (since Amir has blocked it) and I'm not about to do the whole copy/paste thing (many have mistaken my reviews for Amir's and I don't want to perpetuate that). So if you want to see the written review, the full suite of data and proper context you'll have to google my site. But, I've included my video and a couple of the more important takeaway graphics below. If you dig it, great. If you don't, that's cool, too.

- Erin

CEA2034 -- JBL M2 (Crown iTech 5000 Amp; M2 Base Configuration).png
JBL M2_360_Horizontal_Polar.png
JBL M2_360_Vertical_Polar.png

JBL M2_Compression.png

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does having to measure the big floorstanders on their side make any difference vs if you were able to measure standing vertically?
Sorry if you explained this already

MaxRockbin

These measurements are good, but not what I would consider state-of-the art. I'm kind of disappointed.
I think the thing is what it can do 86dB SPL with minimal distortion it also does at 105dB. If you don't need a lot of oomph, probably not the right speaker.

Also, just eyeballing graphs, I think Erin's vertical axis is more spread out vs ASR, so jaggies look more extreme.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Does having to measure the big floorstanders on their side make any difference vs if you were able to measure standing vertically?
Sorry if you explained this already

Nope. Not a lick. I just change the orientation vector to be side-to-side instead of up-and-down. Funny enough, I didn't know you could do that until I had a conversation with Christian @ Klippel earlier this year and said something about me being limited in height, to which he explained that I can just measure it on its side.

I made mention of measuring this speaker on its side at around the 7:50 mark.

I also briefly talk about this in the following video:

Edit: IIRC Christian also discusses it somewhere in this (2 hour) chat:

Honestly, it actually works out better this way because I don't have to worry about the speaker staying in place while standing up. It is much more stable on its side. Imagine having a huge speaker like this standing up... I would be on pins and needles. The only problem is when I have a speaker with a curved baffle but so far I haven't run into that and will burn that bridge when I get there. As it is, I am limited to about 50-inch tall speakers (like this one) or if it is narrow in depth then I could probably accurately measure up to 53 or so inches.

Oh and FWIW, all speakers like this, I also perform a groundplane measurement in my driveway to sanity check the LF response to make sure I am getting proper summation.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These measurements are good, but not what I would consider state-of-the art. I'm kind of disappointed.

Well except that this nails flat DI from 800 to 8000hz in a way that not even Genelec or the D&D 8c do.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to me the biggest differences to 708 are:

1) SPL capability jump from high to basically without limit in a domestic system
2) directivity control extends lower in frequency (wider woofer and baffle)
3) directivity control breaks down lower ib the treble (big compression driver and exit vs tiny CD and exit)

So an achievement for sure, but I suspect most 70x owners will not be much happier with M2 than what they already enjoy.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't know. In terms of controlled directivity over a big range, this may be the best we've seen so far. Also, we have to consider dynamics as part of the equation. These speakers will likely do almost 130dB with subs helping the low end.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
That's right, 4367 looks really attractive now. (until it might also measure not as good as what Harman shows.)

Piranesi

Thought the frequency response was a bit uneven until I checked the axis scaling and did a double take.
These seem wonderfully linear over their entire disperson, as well they should for the asking price!

Seems to me that these would be a pretty good deal when purchased individually, and then supplied with other, more affordable but high powered class D amps.

As an aside, Erin, thank you very much for the work you do. Would personally love to see some interesting higher end Swans (e.g. M3A, M500, M5A) measured too. They're active DSP speakers with a well integrated 3-way design, and for fairly low prices too.

Shirazir

If I ever won the lottery, by brain would be telling me to consider the M2, my heart would tell me to get the 4367. Welcome back, and thanks for sharing the measurements.

peep Erin's post history.

Spicy.

Let the man link to his site!

Top Bottom