• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If This forum didn't exist ... One would have to invent it .. Wow!!

I will audition this set-up ... very soon. Am thinking of it as an end game kind of set-up for 2 channel.. Total BOM looks like under $30K.. Re-WOW!! :D

Last edited:
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
If This forum isn't exist ... One would have to invent it .. Wow!!

I will audition this set-up ... very soon. Am thinking of it as an end game kind of set-up for 2 channel.. Total BOM looks like under $30K.. Re-WOW!! :D
@FrantzM You are welcome anytime. @RayDunzl will be here too next week, maybe.

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was planning to do something similar with flanking subwoofers on either end of the main tower speakers (mandatory in my case since the mid/upper bass horn doesn't extend as far as a ported box), briefly had a discussion of this with @Bjorn at the Klipsch forum.

What I'm trying to figure out is what Audiolense would do better than Acourate (or vice versa). I couldn't find anything searching Acourate's group and it would be in poor taste to ask about a competing product on their forum.

The digital crossovers is my primary interest, with the falling response of the K-402 I doubt I would be using "room correction" with a target, but never say never until I've actually heard it.

Olli

Forum Donor

@Wombat : I don't exactly understand how this calculator would help me determine if 1) more subs would help eliminating room modes and 2) where I would need to cross them. BTW, I am using Audiolense with a virtual 2 way set up, a 3 way compact speaker that is on top of two subs, crossing over at 98 Hz. Here's the room dimensions and the calculated values:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-29 um 20.55.05.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wombat : I don't exactly understand how this calculator would help me determine if 1) more subs would help eliminating room modes and 2) where I would need to cross them. BTW, I am using Audiolense with a virtual 2 way set up, a 3 way compact speaker that is on top of two subs, crossing over at 98 Hz. Here's the room dimensions and the calculated values:

View attachment 26891

You're right, this calculator doesn't help you much here.

What it does tell you is (assuming the walls are perfect reflectors at all frequencies, which in reality they are not) where your first reflections will create peaks and nulls in the frequency response; however, even in its ability to do this is there significant limitation, because (1) the drivers are all at different heights and (2) the nulls will really also depend on the location of your ears in relation to the acoustical centre(s) of the driver(s).

One thing I can tell you, without knowing much about your room, is that moving the subs so that they are in more optimal locations in the room is likely to better eliminate (reduce) room modes.

Harman did extensive modelling to try to solve this problem, and then tested the models in real rooms, and concluded that the optimal locations for two subs were halfway along any two parallel walls. So basically like this:

1559157796884.png

Depending on the quirks of your room, however, YMMV.

Also, getting the crossover to work correctly will be more work than in the relatively straightforward configuration you have atm with them direcly under your mains.

Do you have a measurement microphone?

Olli

Forum Donor
You're right, this calculator doesn't help you much here.

What it does tell you is (assuming the walls are perfect reflectors at all frequencies, which in reality they are not) where your first reflections will create peaks and nulls in the frequency response; however, even in its ability to do this is there significant limitation, because (1) the drivers are all at different heights and (2) the nulls will really also depend on the location of your ears in relation to the acoustical centre(s) of the driver(s).

One thing I can tell you, without knowing much about your room, is that moving the subs so that they are in more optimal locations in the room is likely to better eliminate (reduce) room modes.

Harman did extensive modelling to try to solve this problem, and then tested the models in real rooms, and concluded that the optimal locations for two subs were halfway along any two parallel walls. So basically like this:

View attachment 26892

Depending on the quirks of your room, however, YMMV.

Also, getting the crossover to work correctly will be more work than in the relatively straightforward configuration you have atm with them direcly under your mains.

Do you have a measurement microphone?

Thanks @andreasmaaan - yes, I do.

Unfortunately I can’t place them much differently (wife). I could however add 2 subs at the back wall - a 4 sub array. I was thinking about putting the current subs there and getting 2 Rythmik F8s below the compacts instead.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @andreasmaaan - yes, I do.

Unfortunately I can’t place them much differently (wife). I could however add 2 subs at the back wall - a 4 sub array. I was thinking about putting the current subs there and getting 2 Rythmik F8s below the compacts instead.

Could you post some measurements from at and around the listening position(s)?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Olli

Forum Donor
Thanks guys. Nothing‘s lacking... More the other way around. I just get too much bass with certain tracks compared to my other set ups. I had a similar experience in another room where adding a 2nd cheap sub diagonally behind me (almost) eliminated the problem. That's why I thought 2 (or 1) more sub(s) at the rear wall could improve this.

Here's L and R solo - something must be wrong with the R measurement though (drop at high FQ), can't re-measure at the moment.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-29 um 22.25.45.png

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks guys. Nothing‘s lacking... More the other way around. I just get too much bass with certain tracks compared to my other set ups. I had a similar experience in another room where adding a 2nd cheap sub diagonally behind me (almost) eliminated the problem. That's why I thought 2 (or 1) more sub(s) at the rear wall could improve this.

Here's L and R solo - something must be wrong with the R measurement though (drop at high FQ), can't re-measure at the moment.

View attachment 26898

I can’t recall if you said already how you were implementing your bass management, but the measurements suggest the best thing to do in this case would simply be to tone the bass down by a couple of dB if it seems too much.

My only other questions would be: where are these measurements taken from? Are they averages of multiple measurements? And how do things look in the time domain?

If just a single measurement for each channel at one location, they may not be telling the whole story.

Last edited:

Olli

Forum Donor
Looks like you're in pretty good shape, to me.

Insert a similar dip to the one at 48hz at 70Hz... see if you can hear it.

If not, I wouldn't spend too much on the other one.

You mean with a parametric eq?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You mean with a parametric eq?

With whatever tool you have at hand...

PS: I typically measure left/right/and both, since I don't usually listen to just one side or the other...

Olli

Forum Donor
First measurement I posted is LR together , the other one is single L and R measurements, with a single sweep.

Olli

Forum Donor
I can’t recall if you said already how you were implementing your bass management, but the measurements suggest the best thing to do in this case would simply be to tone the bass down by a couple of dB if it seems too much.

My only other questions would be: where are these measurements taken from? Are they averages of multiple measurements? And how do things look in the time domain?

If just a single measurement for each channel at one location, they may not be telling the whole story.

It is a single measurement with a sweep at my listening position. Bass MGMT is with Audiolense using Roon’s convolver. The sub crosses over to the mains at 98 Hz.
Let me check the time domain.

How would you recommend to measure things more meaningful?

Olli

Forum Donor
Step Response:

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-30 um 10.06.06.png

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-30 um 09.54.34.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-30 um 09.54.34.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Top Bottom