• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 and DSP Question

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there fan in BLU-160? If yes, how loud is fan noise?
The following is not first hand experience (I don't have a blu), but here is what I gathered when I considered buying one.

There are a bunch of noisy fans in the blu160.
You can replace them with more silent models, but you will only reduce noise by 3dB (and potentially a less annoying noise spectrum?) if you want to maintain more or less the same air displacement, with a Noctua NF-A4x20 5V (20mm depth, 9.4m3/h and 14.9dB, vs 10.5m3/h and 18dB for the original model).
You can probably get away with less fans/air displacement as these are meant to address a fully populated unit (some in/out cards are more power hungry than others) in a crowded rack. Temperature can be monitored in realtime so you can do some trial and error there, including adding small heatsinks on some of the hot components. There are tons of examples on the audioheritage forum.
The best solution is probably the one @fitero implemented, with a 20cm slow fan on the top cover of the unit:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulle...y-for-M2-setup&p=416440&viewfull=1#post416440

Last edited:

fitero

There are 4 fans in the BSS-100/160/800 units which are annoying if the unit is in the same room with you. However, you can do as I did and replace the unit top with a piece of ABS plastic with a hole cut in the centre and a 200mm cooling fan, and disconnect the internal fans of the unit.

I sit only a few feet from the unit and I cannot hear it even without music playing.

I posted this without reading POS's comprehensive answer.

Attachments

• IMAG1167.jpg
    IMAG1167.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 310

mamzh2000

@fitero and @pos : thank you two very much!. I noticed BLU-50 is fanless, if we configure blu-100/160/800 as only 2x analog input cards and 4x analog output cards, then, we may not need fan either. At lease for blu-100, it runs 400MHz as the same frequency as blu-50. 160 and 800 may be warmer since they run at 800MHz.

mamzh2000

What reason made you to choose 160/800 over 50? I found it's so hard to find a used one on blu-50.

fitero

Used Blu-50 come for sale quite often on Ebay. You just have to be patient.
Blu-160 come up much more frequently, but again, patience is key to getting one in nice aesthetic condition and good average price. There is no need of the Blu-800 for only stereo use of the M2s. However, if one comes up for sale at the same price as a Blu-160 it would work just as well.

I thought the sound was more realistic and smooth on the Blu-160 vs the Blu-50. The idle hiss from my tweeters was slightly lower with the Blu-50. Even with the slightly higher hiss, which I can't hear from 6 feet away, I still preferred the Blu-160 which is why I kept it and sold the Blu-50.
The hiss by the way is much less intrusive than when I tried the JBL SDA-4600 amps with their M2 speaker tunings.

mamzh2000

Blu-160 come up much more frequently, but again, patience is key to getting one in nice aesthetic condition and good average price. There is no need of the Blu-800 for only stereo use of the M2s. However, if one comes up for sale at the same price as a Blu-160 it would work just as well.

I thought the sound was more realistic and smooth on the Blu-160 vs the Blu-50. The idle hiss from my tweeters was slightly lower with the Blu-50. Even with the slightly higher hiss, which I can't hear from 6 feet away, I still preferred the Blu-160 which is why I kept it and sold the Blu-50.
The hiss by the way is much less intrusive than when I tried the JBL SDA-4600 amps with their M2 speaker tunings.

Really appreciate you for sharing the experience. I will be patient. I really like M2, I consider them could be my end of game speaks.

mamzh2000

Couldn't wait longer for blu-50, I just went with blu-160. Could you guide me how to set it up step by step? I want to start learning and make preparation for its arrival. Thanks!

Introextro

You have to convert the file which can be done or I can send it to you. Your choice.
hi,

I just bought a pair of M2s and Crown 5000 amps. Can someone please help find the correct device file for the M2s? It seems to be removed from the JBL site. Also any insight on how to install and run would be greatly appreciated since I am brand new to the DSP world. Thank you!

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.32.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 9.32.37 PM.png
    45 KB · Views: 175

mamzh2000

This is JBL support number (844) 776-4899. Try it when you have problems.

Introextro

Got it, thanks! Let me give it a shot.
I "loaded" the device file and now the amp shows "link" and two db slide bars for the 2 channels. Guessing this is correct? Is there a way to change the gain of a channel separately without the other channel? Any way to test if the settings are correct? Thanks so much!

fitero

Once you have the device file loaded, you can open a Control page and vary any number of parameters. I vary the overall gain to obtain the least idle noise from my system and also vary the channel gain to modify the balance when needed. It is very useful. You can also modify the crossover curves to tailor the sound to your taste.
20190519_083144.jpg

Last edited:

fitero

The picture is from London Architect. BSS say that the London Architect software is obsolete, but is the software used by Harman for Synthesis ARCOS and these parameters. If you are able to use the M2 tunings in a BSS unit using the Audio Architect software then more power to you. I am not very computer proficient and was unable to do so.

Kristian79

Hey guys, does anyone have a step by step guide on how to load M2 tunings into the BLU50? JWTrace was kind enough to share his tuning file with me...I can open the file in London, but can’t figure out how to load it into the device...

fitero

There is no step by step process that I am aware of. However, since you now have JWTrace's files you should be able to load the program without difficulty. Make sure the BSS unit and the computer that contains the BSS file are physically connected to the same data switch. Open London Architect in your computer and then; File, Open, and click on the BSS Blu-50 File to open it and load it into the processor. When you close the program, you will be prompted to save or discard the program. You will click on SAVE and the tuning files are then stored in the processor from then on.

Kristian79

There is no step by step process that I am aware of. However, since you now have JWTrace's files you should be able to load the program without difficulty. Make sure the BSS unit and the computer that contains the BSS file are physically connected to the same data switch. Open London Architect in your computer and then; File, Open, and click on the BSS Blu-50 File to open it and load it into the processor. When you close the program, you will be prompted to save or discard the program. You will click on SAVE and the tuning files are then stored in the processor from then on.
125F5BEE-C52E-401E-820A-3AB49005B01F.jpeg

Top Bottom