• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M2 and DSP Question

Chaos Reverse

Based on what I read on AVSForum, the DSP preset for the JBL M2 is simply a couple of parametric equalizers. If this is a true, can I simply EQ the preset on Equalizer APO and utilize a crossover to four mono amplifiers or two stereo ones (that isn't the dedicated Crown amplifier) to power the JBL M2 instead of buying the dedicated amplifiers or buying amplifiers and the BSS sound processor? Thank you.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
There is a DSP which is compatible with the M2 profiles and can be used with other than Crown amps. It's made by another Harman company.

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you want to reproduce the original EQ settings, best solution is to generate a FIR and use Equalizer APO's convolution engine to make sure the transfer function is exactly what it is supposed to be, as different hardware/software implementations will interpret given EQ and filter settings quite differently, resulting in different reponse in the end.

more info here: http://goo.gl/GdfQ7N
(rePhase FIR settings in appendix 2)

Last edited:

mamzh2000

Hi, I am new member here. I also listened to M2 recently and fall in love with them. But after doing more research, I am kind discouraged by setting up cross-over and amps to drive them. My current system are all Benchmark gears: DAC3, HPA4 as Pre, two AHB2 amplifiers. I try to add less to the current signal chain but still can drive M2. My questions are: (1) Could you help to confirm if it works as following: CD player --> DAC3 --> HPA4 Pre --> BSS DSP --> AHB2 --> M2; (2) is there better solution?
Thanks for RayDunzi's recommendation, I did read @dallasjustice's thread about M2. I am very impressed about what he did, but it's a little overwhelming to me. I am very new to M2, I need some guidance to start it up. Thank you very much!

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Hi, I am new member here. I also listened to M2 recently and fall in love with them. But after doing more research, I am kind discouraged by setting up cross-over and amps to drive them. My current system are all Benchmark gears: DAC3, HPA4 as Pre, two AHB2 amplifiers. I try to add less to the current signal chain but still can drive M2. My questions are: (1) Could you help to confirm if it works as following: CD player --> DAC3 --> HPA4 Pre --> BSS DSP --> AHB2 --> M2; (2) is there better solution?
Thanks for RayDunzi's recommendation, I did read @dallasjustice's thread about M2. I am very impressed about what he did, but it's a little overwhelming to me. I am very new to M2, I need some guidance to start it up. Thank you very much!
IMO, you don’t need the BSS. If you are not using subwoofers in your setup, you only need 4 channels. I would get a good pro audio ADC/DAC with at least 4 channels. From there, you only need a computer. I think the Lynx Hilo or an RME would work very well.

If you use something like Audiolense or Acourate to set up a 2 way crossover and EQ, it will be a pretty simple setup. I bet it will sound at least as good as the BSS setup, maybe a lot better.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who has attempted to use AL, I must say it has been quite disappointing thus far without any support to fix the issue. Once I load the correction filter, it sounds out of phase. Nobody can seem to help and everyone says data looks fine and yet it sounds terrible.

mamzh2000

As someone who has attempted to use AL, I must say it has been quite disappointing thus far without any support to fix the issue. Once I load the correction filter, it sounds out of phase. Nobody can seem to help and everyone says data looks fine and yet it sounds terrible.

Yes, that's something I worry about. I try to find a easy way to implement it and for sure it can be done correctly.

mamzh2000

IMO, you don’t need the BSS. If you are not using subwoofers in your setup, you only need 4 channels. I would get a good pro audio ADC/DAC with at least 4 channels. From there, you only need a computer. I think the Lynx Hilo or an RME would work very well.

If you use something like Audiolense or Acourate to set up a 2 way crossover and EQ, it will be a pretty simple setup. I bet it will sound at least as good as the BSS setup, maybe a lot better.

I actually thought about PM you directly, and very glad to read your reply. Anyway, I appreciate your input.

mitchco

Audio Company

That's too bad man. Something is clearly wrong as it should not sound phasey at all, in fact it should be the opposite with a very focused and large image. My poor man M2's (i.e. JBL 4722's) sound excellent biamped using Audiolense and I like them over the Kii THREE's and D&D 8c's, which I have reviewed both in the same room and listened to side but side. Your M2's are decidedly a step up from the 4722's with better cabinet and components, even though the woofers share similar tech, but I am using a 4" CD and don't have the super nice extended response the the D2's have, or the nicer waveguide response.

I think I may have seen some of your questions on the Audiolense forum, but it was unclear to me what your exact signal path is... Nonetheless, I can try and give you a hand. Reach out via PM if you want and we can exchange info.

mamzh2000

I noticed you were using BSS BLU-50. Since blu-50 is discontinued, if I go with BSS, which model should I choose? Thanks!

pos

Forum Donor
BSS BLU processors are easy to find on the used market, and they often go for cheap. Any of them will work, but you need to choose the right set of input/output cards.
There is a nice matrix on BSS website explaining the differences in power and functionalities between all the existing BLUs.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Beware of high fan noise of BSS BLUs. Needs heavy modifications to get silent.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mamzh2000

I'd try to find the BLU 50 since it's fanless.

https://bssaudio.com/en/products/blu-50
Hi jtwrace, I read your posts about M2 in audio circle. I would like to follow what you did. You mentioned that you used "BSS BLU 50 loaded with the M2 tuning". In JBL M2 site "http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/m2/m2-master-reference-monitor#.XMUi1y-ZOfU", there are four files under TUNNING link. Is it this one "M2 BSS Soundweb London BLU800"? Thanks a lot! BTW, very impressed with your trip to JBL and thanks for sharing your experience.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi jtwrace, I read your posts about M2 in audio circle. I would like to follow what you did. You mentioned that you used "BSS BLU 50 loaded with the M2 tuning". In JBL M2 site "http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/m2/m2-master-reference-monitor#.XMUi1y-ZOfU", there are four files under TUNNING link. Is it this one "M2 BSS Soundweb London BLU800"? Thanks a lot! BTW, very impressed with your trip to JBL and thanks for sharing your experience.
You have to convert the file which can be done or I can send it to you. Your choice.

mamzh2000

You have to convert the file which can be done or I can send it to you. Your choice.

Please send it to me, I will PM you my email address. BTW, can BLU-50 has EQ so it can be used for room correction as JBL gears do. Thanks!

fitero

You can use REW to generate a room correction file that can be loaded into the convolution section of Roon. The Blu-50 does not have the processing power to add additional filters. I read somewhere that adding additional filters to the higher-end processors (Blu-160/800 etc.) is not easy for most of us, and can cause phasing issues. I have no personal experience attempting this though.

I personally am using a Blu-160 with my M2s.

mamzh2000

You can use REW to generate a room correction file that can be loaded into the convolution section of Roon. The Blu-50 does not have the processing power to add additional filters. I read somewhere that adding additional filters to the higher-end processors (Blu-160/800 etc.) is not easy for most of us, and can cause phasing issues. I have no personal experience attempting this though.

Thanks for your information. Really appreciate it.

mamzh2000

Is there fan in BLU-160? If yes, how loud is fan noise?

Top Bottom