• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL M-Patch Active 1 USB DAC & Amp Review

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL M-Patch Active 1 USB DAC/ADC, analog switcher and headphone amplifier. I bought summer last year and just now getting to review it. I don't remember what it cost then (it was special on some site) but it is US $100 on Amazon. But get this listing:

JBL active 1 Amazon Price.jpg

Just imagine the level of confusion at JBL to be listing this device as a set of four casters. Anyway this was a product from another company that JBL acquired. Original price was US $200 I think. Lost in the midst of giant Samsung/Harman it may be liquidating prices.

The unit looks like above in person:
JBL Active 1 M-Patch Active Studio Monitor Switcher Review.jpg

Volume control is smooth and has no detents. The switches are quite stiff to push. Given the application (live music/speech) having stiff switches so you don't change settings by accident is probably a good thing. It is a loss for my use though in that they are not toggle switches. If you push one input and then another, both are active now. Ditto for the two outputs. I was hoping to use it for a speaker selector for active speaker listening tests.

The back panel shows all the connectivity:
JBL Active 1 M-Patch Active Studio Monitor Switcher Back Panel inputs and outputs USB DAC Review.jpg

Makes for a good hobby project box if you don't like the functionality or performance of it.

There is a lot here so I am just going to touch on each subsystem.

USB DAC Audio Measurements
Nice to have a bundled balanced DAC at such low price but performance is disappointing:
JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller USB DAC Audio Measurements.png

This puts the Active 1 in the middle of forth and worst tier of DACs tested:

best powered monitor studio controller.png

Dynamic range results are similar:

JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller USB DAC Dynamic Range Audio Measurements.png

So you basically have 14 bits to play with. Good enough for the application but not what we like to see in our domain.

Preamplifier Audio Measurements
This is a test of analog input to analog out with balanced interface and voltages throughout:
JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller M-Patch Analog In Audio Measurements.png

Ah, this is better. Distortion is down to nearly -100 dB. Noise level is also reduced compared to USB resulting in much better signal to noise ratio:

JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller M-Patch Analog In SNR Audio Measurements.png

Frequency response is broad and flat:
JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller M-Patch Analog In Frequency Response Audio Measurements.png

I am only showing one channel because my other XLR to TRS cables are in the speaker "lab."

Now you have 16 to 17 bits to play with.

Headphone Audio Measurements
We get decent level of power when using USB as a source and 300 ohm output load:

JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller USB DAC Headphone Amplifier Power 300 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

The situation is not as good with 33 ohm load:

JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller USB DAC Headphone Amplifier Power 33 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

Power went down instead of up. How much do you want to bet the output impedance is high?
Speaker Monitor Headphone Amplifier Impedance.png

A 70 or so ohm resistor on the output is burning power. Unless your headphone has flat impedance, then its tonality is going to be changed. Best to stay with high impedance headphones where that effect is lower.

ADC Interface Audio Measurements
Since the Active 1 can capture analog signal over USB, here is our last measurement:

JBL Active 1 Monitor Controller USB ADC Interface Audio Measurements.png

There is a lot of gain here for some reason. At near max level before clipping, the input voltage is around 0.68 volts. Resulting SINAD (signal over noise and distortion) is not so bad for a budget device:
Best PC Interface Monitor Reviewed.png

Conclusions
There is a lot of functionality in JBL Active 1. Alas, low performance targets to achieve the price means we are not going to get any measurements that excite us. Best performance is as a switcher and gain controller with balanced analog in and out. Make sure you can live with lack of toggle switches. A better version with higher performance would be a great box to have on the desk with the large volume control, LED signal indicators, mic input, etc.

Not going to give a recommendation one way or the other. Decide for yourself if it fits our needs. Me? I am going to see if I can stick it under my amp as a coaster and see if it is easier to move it....

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

I already told my one joke above. So just donate some money and make me happy using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Im the one that sent in the MAudio airHUB that measured so poorly. I have this JBL and was hoping to replace it with the airHUB. Neither of the dacs can resolve 16 bit. Haven't found any other solution yet but it might be best to use a khadas tone board into this JBL bypassing the internal dac. Or a hefty mod of the MAudio to do the same thing.

Not sure how panther still has his head when it can't muster 16 bit from its dac.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I hope you always wear white coat and big protective glasses in your lab, just to get in the maximum lab-feeling! :)
Maybe add some extra random screens running fake scripts looping forever printing advanced looking text and formulas in terminal-windows for the final Hollywood lab touch.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You failed to mention (and test) built-in talkback mic which can come handy to communicate with wife while she's evaluating speakers from the kitchen. :D

They talk back in Croatia too??

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I have had a problem with mine that I forgot to mention. Nearly every time I use it I need to unplug the USB and re-plug it back in to get it to work. Either it doesn't work at all or the volume is roughly half what it should be until I do this. Of course I only paid $25 for it off of craigslist.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think its a joke saying that wives talk back here and then jokingly ask if they talk back in croatia also because it would obviously be a yes answer since nationality doesn't matter lol

This raises an obvious question of course, is my sense of humor better than JBL's entry level monitor control products?

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Best performance is as a switcher and gain controller with balanced analog in and out

I've been really enjoying mine for exactly this purpose!

Big volume knobs are fun. Cranking up the music on your favorite song is slightly more satisfying when you're turning a wheel instead of clicking the "VOL +" button on a remote... at least for me.

Never touched the DAC functionality. I got it on sale for $49 a while back, so I don't feel too bad about ignoring that. The LEDs are pretty useful for getting a visual hint as to if you might be clipping.

One unique feature here is the output switching.

Won't be useful for many but for me this is nice. I have Output A going into my powered monitors. Output B goes into my amplifier that powers my passive speakers. If you like to switch speakers around like me it's convenient.

It is a loss for my use though in that they are not toggle switches. If you push one input and then another, both are active now. Ditto for the two outputs. I was hoping to use it for a speaker selector for active speaker listening tests.

It's an extra button press, but other than that is this a problem? :) Still a very convenient output switching solution IMO.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Im the one that sent in the MAudio airHUB that measured so poorly. I have this JBL and was hoping to replace it with the airHUB. Neither of the dacs can resolve 16 bit. Haven't found any other solution yet but it might be best to use a khadas tone board into this JBL bypassing the internal dac. Or a hefty mod of the MAudio to do the same thing.

Not sure how panther still has his head when it can't muster 16 bit from its dac.
For cheap, but potentially good stuff, I've been eyeballing the latest Steinberg audio interfaces. They're claiming 32 bit processing, but maxing out at 192kHz which is odd (though I still wouldn't need either). I figured, they're owned by Yamaha, how bad can they be? I'm considering getting this one and drop shipping it to Amir:

https://new.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur22c/

Edit: Perhaps 32/192 isn't weird: http://www.ti.com/product/PCM1795, just old.

Last edited:

tsanguine

Forum Donor
For cheap, but potentially good stuff, I've been eyeballing the latest Steinberg audio interfaces. They're claiming 32 bit processing, but maxing out at 192kHz which is odd (though I still wouldn't need either). I figured, they're owned by Yamaha, how bad can they be? I'm considering getting this one and drop shipping it to Amir:

https://new.steinberg.net/audio-interfaces/ur22c/

Edit: Perhaps 32/192 isn't weird: http://www.ti.com/product/PCM1795, just old.
I'm always interested in anything new. For me I only want an inexpensive USB DAC that can output to my powered monitors, drive a pair of headphones, and have a nice big volume knob. Functionally and as far as form factor the M-Audio AirUSB was perfect. But I at least want it to successfully resolve 16bit. Just on a moral level at least.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I think its a joke saying that wives talk back here and then jokingly ask if they talk back in croatia also because it would obviously be a yes answer since nationality doesn't matter lol

That crossed my mind so I asked if it was about wifes. :)

Top Bottom