• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL LSR305P MKii and Control 1 Pro Monitors Review

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me correct my statement with more detail. The LSRs are set up on my PC rig on the left half of my desk (the right half is a Mac Pro setup with another setup), and for the purposes of noting hiss/hum from where I sit (1-2m away) - you can't discern any (unlike the Emotiva powered Airmotivs on the Mac system - they clearly hiss from the same distance, even with the volume down below 50%). But yes, they're not 'dead silent,' as putting your ear right next to the speaker (~1-2") away, you can detect a very slight hiss.
Yes, that sounds more plausible. (LSR's are the Mki version though, not the Mkii version......but I'm sure you're referring to Mkii)

strummr

Yes, that sounds more plausible. (LSR's are the Mki version though, not the Mkii version......but I'm sure you're referring to Mkii)
Right, I have a pair of LSR305P MKIIs. (I've returned one because of significant amp hiss, and the pair I ended up with seems 'near' dead silent ;))

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, I have a pair of LSR305P MKIIs. (I've returned one because of significant amp hiss, and the pair I ended up with seems 'near' dead silent ;))
I know I'm being pedantic, but it's to avoid confusion - "LSR" has absolutely nothing to do with the Mkii (Mark 2), "LSR" is part of the description of the Mki (Mark 1). So best not to use the descriptor "LSR" when referring to the Mkii (Mark 2).

Following is the discontinued LSR 308 (which was the Mki):
Following is the 308p Mkii which is the current version and the subject of this review (well the 305 version of the following):

You can see "LSR" is only applicable to the Mki (Mark 1) discontinued version.

olymind1

Though they technically don't name them LSR anymore, they're still mentioning it in the description:
  • Engineered to JBL Linear Spatial Reference design criteria for outstanding accuracy in any working space
305P MkII is designed to JBL’s Linear Spatial Reference criteria—a series of 72 individual measurements taken 360 degrees around the speaker to ensure a faithful reproduction of your mix, whatever your listening environment.

strummr

I know I'm being pedantic, but it's to avoid confusion - "LSR" has absolutely nothing to do with the Mkii (Mark 2), "LSR" is part of the description of the Mki (Mark 1). So best not to use the descriptor "LSR" when referring to the Mkii (Mark 2).

Following is the discontinued LSR 308 (which was the Mki):
Following is the 308p Mkii which is the current version and the subject of this review (well the 305 version of the following):

You can see "LSR" is only applicable to the Mki (Mark 1) discontinued version.
Yes noted... my mistake as it was quickly noted in context of this discussion (the review still has 'lsr305p-mkii' in the thread name). I shall always refer to the speakers as 305P MkIIs going forward, now that we've spent this much timing on the naming, back to the discussion of the 305P MkII; yes there is just the slightest hiss from the speakers, and that will be a problem for some - it's not for me as I don't keep my ears planted on the speaker.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have these 305ps on a table that I use as my desk, but elevated about 6 inches above the table. They are not very far apart because I have shelving which prevents me from spacing them wider than 33 inches apart (tweeter to tweeter). This works out so that when I am sitting in my chair the tweeters appear to be at the same height as my ears. They are not toed in, which I suspect is a good thing, since they are so close together. I use them with the matching sub that I have positioned deep under the table, and I still have enough leg room. To my ears everything sounds remarkably well. Yes, they are low-powered but my ears are only about 36 inches from the tweeters, so this is a near-field set up. A computer monitor is between the two speakers but the speakers (and the stands they are on) are pulled out closer to the front of the table than the computer monitor. The speakers are lipped over the stand by about an inch in front. Everything just sounds correct and right to me with this set up. I don't know that I am hearing any anomalies or problems. The sub is set at 80z, and that seems to take a load off of the 305p MK IIs. I don't really know if I just got lucky with respect to room acoustics, or whether placing these speakers close together is not as problematic as many people think, especially when they are not toed in. All I know is that this set up is very easy on the ears and music sounds the way that I think it should. BTW, I first tried this without the stands, with the speakers right on the table and the tweeters lower than my ears. That initial arrangement didn't sound that great.

posvibes

I just wanted to give a big rap for the JBL LSR305p MKii's as I have dropped them back into my living room system and they never fail to amaze me, they are just so good, just so damn good!

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I just wanted to give a big rap for the JBL LSR305p MKii's as I have dropped them back into my living room system and they never fail to amaze me, they are just so good, just so damn good!
JBL, Revel, etc have developed a model due to Toole and Canada. A cheap speaker amazes you. Nirvana is a powered Revel. Won't see it in my lifetime.

posvibes

JBL, Revel, etc have developed a model due to Toole and Canada. A cheap speaker amazes you. Nirvana is a powered Revel. Won't see it in my lifetime.
I've been down quite a few false paths along the way, but that said, never really been unhappy for choices made, they have always been made within my rather modest outlays, but overtime that has probably worked out to be to the same value of an expensive and one off choice I might have made in the beginning. But these little JBL's are forehead slappingly good. For my taste and circumstances there is no reason for them not to be and end game speaker for me, although I have a few spare sets of other speakers I can always swap them out with.

The secret knowledge I require is learning to be satisfied and I doubt I am wise enough to see that in my lifetime.:oops:

Valentin R

Active Revels
I have a feeling you will see them pretty soon
Market is going fast in that direction in my opinion and HARMAN brands JBL has jumped in that wagon with 4305p

Reactions: Pio

HorizonsEdge

I recently purchased these. They were a Musicians Friend (vendor) Stupid Deal of the Day (tm). Pair with shipping and tax $216USD. I moved 3 months ago and have had no music in my bedroom. These plus SMSL SU6 and voila very nice results. I moved from NYC to the suburbs and find it really hard to fall asleep without NOISE (or music) LOL.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently purchased these. They were a Musicians Friend (vendor) Stupid Deal of the Day (tm). Pair with shipping and tax $216USD. I moved 3 months ago and have had no music in my bedroom. These plus SMSL SU6 and voila very nice results. I moved from NYC to the suburbs and find it really hard to fall asleep without NOISE (or music) LOL.
Do you use the HF Trim Switch at -2dB position? Looks like it could benefit by that.....plus if you've got parametric EQ ability of your audio chain you could do some more exact Anechoic EQ using Amir's measurements. Looks a tad bright at stock:
index.php

HorizonsEdge

Do you use the HF Trim Switch at -2dB position? Looks like it could benefit by that.....plus if you've got parametric EQ ability of your audio chain you could do some more exact Anechoic EQ using Amir's measurements. Looks a tad bright at stock:
index.php

Just got it up and running yesterday and only a few hours of listening. Currently streaming amazon music from my phone. Will get a USB cable and try a direct feed this week. I have not fiddled with the rear panel settings yet but I will and report back. As this is the 4th HT or stereo system I have setup in the new house and it is pretty much ad-hoc just so I can sleep there is not much of an audio chain. If you read between the lines that means I have a lot of upgrade opportunities (a blessing and a curse). Still they are good speakers and for the price point hard to beat.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got it up and running yesterday and only a few hours of listening. Currently streaming amazon music from my phone. Will get a USB cable and try a direct feed this week. I have not fiddled with the rear panel settings yet but I will and report back. As this is the 4th HT or stereo system I have setup in the new house and it is pretty much ad-hoc just so I can sleep there is not much of an audio chain. If you read between the lines that means I have a lot of upgrade opportunities (a blessing and a curse). Still they are good speakers and for the price point hard to beat.
Ain't three bad as speakers go!

(HF Trim Switch is an easy mod if it pleases you, but you might want to bring down the broad peak at 1800Hz after implementing that as it will be accentuated - would reduce "shoutiness")

Last edited:

phoenixsong

I need some advice as I cannot figure out this puzzling problem- one of my LSR305 speakers suddenly became much softer than the other even when set to the same volume. I swapped wall sockets and cables and placement positions, and confirmed that it is the speakers' imbalance. Does anybody know the cause of this n]and how I can rectify it?

Pio

Forum Donor
I need some advice as I cannot figure out this puzzling problem- one of my LSR305 speakers suddenly became much softer than the other even when set to the same volume. I swapped wall sockets and cables and placement positions, and confirmed that it is the speakers' imbalance. Does anybody know the cause of this n]and how I can rectify it?
Make sure the input sensitivity is set the same with both. If one is set at -10 dBv and the other is at +4dBu, one will definitely sound louder than the other.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose you could also check the DAC is ok, and outputting an equal signal, maybe hook it up to some other speakers or to headphones (through an amp) to check to see if it's balanced between left & right. Check you haven't changed channel balance in Windows if that's what you're using (or in your playback software).

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like there’s a problem with the sensitivity switch. Try switching it a few times and see if that fixes it. If no change, open the speaker and see if the leads are lose. Or use voltmeter to see if switch or component failed.

phoenixsong

Make sure the input sensitivity is set the same with both. If one is set at -10 dBv and the other is at +4dBu, one will definitely sound louder than the other.
Yeah mine's both set to +4dB

Reactions: Pio

phoenixsong

I suppose you could also check the DAC is ok, and outputting an equal signal, maybe hook it up to some other speakers or to headphones (through an amp) to check to see if it's balanced between left & right. Check you haven't changed channel balance in Windows if that's what you're using (or in your playback software).
The Motu M2 I'm using is working flawlessly, tested it with my Sennheiser IE200 and also swapped the speakers with the left and right outputs to confirm the imbalance is from the speakers themselves, and not due to placement/cable/connection/settings etc

Top Bottom